997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Spare Tire and the C4S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 04:49 AM
Musclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud of
Question

Originally Posted by Coochas
Here's a page from the 996 owner's manual showing how the spare is either stored vertically (Carrera 2, Targa) or horizontally (Carrera 4):
Take a look at post from "997_rich" and how he fit space save spare in boot/frunk. http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...for-997-a.html

Have you tried this?

Old 04-12-2011, 09:34 PM
Musclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud of
I recently had to use my space saver spare (I have 07' 997.1 C4S & store in Frunk at a slant). Mounting & inflating went fine...this might sound obvious but... what is the technique behind deflating space saver so sidewalls "fold into themselves as they were prior to inflation?

Also, can someone post a overhead (or side view) pic showing where space saver wheel lip & tire bead meet?

Old 04-13-2011, 07:27 AM
911CSLover is infamous around these parts911CSLover is infamous around these parts
So I realize I'm hexing myself just by asking the question, but how many of you have had flats without having a spare? My C2S didn't come with one. Just the clear gel and compressor. It certainly gives me pause when I'm pondering a longer trip.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:19 AM
RH512 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Musclehedz101
I recently had to use my space saver spare (I have 07' 997.1 C4S & store in Frunk at a slant). Mounting & inflating went fine...this might sound obvious but... what is the technique behind deflating space saver so sidewalls "fold into themselves as they were prior to inflation?

Also, can someone post a overhead (or side view) pic showing where space saver wheel lip & tire bead meet?
I was told that simply deflating should let it go back. However it is dependent on the time it was inflated - if inflated for too long it will not return. Now, this was someone at Vredestein explaining it to me, I have no first hand experience.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:01 AM
dailydriver is infamous around these parts
I have a 996 c4s. One day while driving to work someone was nice enough to have laid an aluminum extension ladder in the middle of the road near the end of an onramp. The pavement was greyish white and I did not see said ladder until I was almost on top of it.

Given that I was accelerating and merging into traffic I had little time to react and decided to run up the rungs of the ladder with my passenger side tires, as I could not avoid it completely and was afraid of what damage could occur to the motor if I straddled the ladder and it kicked up at the back of the car.

Long story short the ladder bubbled the inside sidwall of the rear tire which proceded to blow out on my way home from work that evening. There was a 4 inch gash on the inner sidewall whic hwould have been quite difficult to patch with goop (although I hear Porshce makes better goop than any other). I was glad to have the compact spare for that experience, but not quite as happy when I saw the bill for two new PS2's on the rear...

Old 04-13-2011, 11:52 AM
After 1 year of ownership (second owner) I had:
* (2) Flats (1- sidewall puncture, 1- Screw in tread)

Now these all occurred in metroplex and at time used Porsche Roadside (has since expired and have AAA w/ separate Road hazard coverage on BridgeStone Re-11's from tirerack).

Having said that just recently I sent my R/R wheel back to HRE for repair of some curb rash. I was without my rear wheel for three weeks and in that time thought I didn't drive the car, the spare came in very handy when needing to move the car in/out of garage. (To get at attic and other area access)

Also, being a perfectionist, I rather handle the removal & installation myself as I do not trust the techs not damaging my custom wheels...

Old 04-13-2011, 05:00 PM
norton has a spectacular aura aboutnorton has a spectacular aura aboutnorton has a spectacular aura about
Cool Had a flat on my C2s-- left front...

about a year ago. I was just winding out in second gear to pass a work truck in the mountains when he kicked up a damn ATV key that landed on it's fob so it perfectly jammed into my tire. I could hear the air hissing out and then the tire pressure system began beeping with the display indicating air pressue was kaput. Fortunately, since I don't carry a spare, I pulled over, pulled out my trusty el cheapo Auto Shack flat repair kit (complete with gooey threads and tube of glue) coated three threads with glue, rammed them in, waited 30 minutes for it to set, and then inflated it via the factory compressor (which promptly blew the fuse in my console power socket-- should have read the manual to NOT use that outlet!) and turned around and headed home instead of continuing up to the cabin to spend the night. That tire held air through 80 miles of 110 degree heat driving at 65 mph and for three days until I replaced it.

Obviously, if I cut a sidewall or have a blow out, it's time for road side assistance, but I will not carry a spare and I have confidence in my system-- worked fine without the factory goo-- think that would play hell with your TPMS sensors. I could have spent the weekend at the cabin just fine....

Old 04-14-2011, 01:20 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
But you didn't spend the weekend at the cabin. And therein is some valuable knowledge. The patched tire just didn't instill the confidence to keep going.

I need to check on where one is supposed to plug in the inflator. Seems like an bad design to have an item the fits in a socket but causes a component blow out if you actually use it with that socket. Any reason all the 12v sockets could not support the same current?

Old 04-15-2011, 08:16 PM
fusion85 is infamous around these parts
I also store the same collapsible spare in my 997 C4 frunk @ an angle. However, altho I also have a Schild hood protector, I do not believe it can protect the hood from the impact of the spare on a heavy bump or pothole. I strap the spare @ the bottom with a nylon strap engaging the metal clip under the floor, & a lateral strap to the not-so-robust clip on the rear wall. I have done "practice" runs in my neighborhood with the spare on the front as well as the rear & it fits fine. Deflating is easy. The red nylon straps provide plenty of compressive force to return the spare to its original shape. I also carry a plug kit. Sort of belt & suspenders approach.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by fusion85
I strap the spare @ the bottom with a nylon strap engaging the metal clip under the floor, & a lateral strap to the not-so-robust clip on the rear wall.
?? I have same setup but not sure where you are anchoring to, can you take a pic and post? Please?

Originally Posted by fusion85
Deflating is easy. The red nylon straps provide plenty of compressive force to return the spare to its original shape.
What red straps??

Old 04-19-2011, 03:37 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Coochas
Yes, it will fit in the 997 C2 series - note that the part number is slightly different (ends in 02 not 03) but I am fairly certain it is the same donut!
Check out this post from MMD on Rennlist - he shows a pic of the donut in the boot of his 997 2S (fully upright, not tilted) AND some nifty hardware to secure it in place: http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...d.php?t=279156
The more I think about it, the more I am likely to leave it in the boot tilted at an angle (in this way it just 'kisses' the hood when fully closed. I'll likely throw a vinyl cover over it just to keep it neat and keep the jack in the back of the thing. I guess I'd prefer to have my boot cluttered rather than my back seat!
Thanks for posting the pictures. Have been contemplating getting the spare to use on road trips but was unsure if it would actually fit in the car and your pics answered my question. The boot is the best place for it IMHO. Do you have the the 6 Disc CD player also ? Have you tried to fit a rear tire in the back seat ? I could try that myself but would hate to go through all that if you had already tried it.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:25 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Dadio
Thanks for posting the pictures. Have been contemplating getting the spare to use on road trips but was unsure if it would actually fit in the car and your pics answered my question. The boot is the best place for it IMHO. Do you have the the 6 Disc CD player also ? Have you tried to fit a rear tire in the back seat ? I could try that myself but would hate to go through all that if you had already tried it.
Just my $.02 but I am glad I "practiced" with spare (space saver) before hand so that I was familiar and knew what to expect under non-stressed conditions. Just this weekend (incident #3 for me) I was driving with my wife and dash gauge read the dreaded "FLAT Tyre" message...ARGhh... So I pulled into a parking lot to investigate.

By having allot of previous practice and my "special tools" (same "kits" others have put together on this forum. Breaker bar, 9mm Soft Socket, gloves, trash bag, etc..), I was able to do the swap in record time. I hustle'd like I was a one man pit crew!

15min later we were back on the road....Yes, I could have called AAA but that would have been a 1/2 day (at min) ordeal. In the end turn of to be my TPMS came loose in wheel and was destroyed. Later I took to dealer (Boardwalk) to repair TPMS and they installed a new one. They also broke the bead (again) on my space saver deflating it and said it was a "one time use" spare and could not be remounted on bead, no matter what they tried....So they were going to keep it and sell me another for $700+.......NOT! I told them to give me back my spare and I would handle it. Two days later I dropped by local NTB and they got the bead back on in under 5min! Best part..NTB refused to charge me anything!

Dealer = "Stealer"

Last edited by Musclehedz101; 04-19-2011 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:09 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Musclehedz101
Just my $.02 but I am glad I "practiced" with spare (space saver) before hand so that I was familar and knew what to expect under non-stressed conditions. Just this weekend (incident #3 for me) I was driving with my wife and dash gauge read the dreaded "FLAT Tyre" message...ARGhh... So I pulled into a parking lot to investigate.

By having allot of previous practice and my "special tools" (same "kits" others have put together on this forum. Breaker bar, 9mm Soft Socket, gloves, trash bag, etc..), I was able to do the swap in record time. I hustle'd like I was a one man pit crew!

15min later we we bad on the road....Yes, I could have called AAA but that would have been a 1/2 (at min) ordeal. In the end turn of to be my TPMS came loose in wheel and was destroyed. Later I took to dealer (Boardwalk) repaired and installed new one. They also broke the bead (again) on my space saver deflating it and said it was a "one time use" spare and could not be remounted on bead, no matter what they tried....So they were going to keep it and sell me another for $700+.......NOT! I told them to give me back my spare and I would handle it. Two days later I dropped by local NTB and they got the bead back on in under 5min! Best part..NTB refused to charge me anything!

Dealer = "Stealer"
Putting together the correct tools is good advice as the tool kit that comes with the car is lacking to say the least were one to attempt to change out a wheel. But, the only question I have yet to get answered is will a rear wheel/flat fit in the back seat of the car ? I know it won't fit in the boot but if it won't fit in the back seat it would make for an expensive bit of roadside trash should your flat occur a few hundred miles from home. By the way, given your choice of car and color scheme I can only assume you are a man of class, culture and excellent taste.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:46 PM
ecostellodo is infamous around these parts
I have never had a good experience at boardwalk. They have always acted a bit snobbish to me.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:27 PM
Thumbs up

Putting together the correct tools is good advice as the tool kit that comes with the car is lacking to say the least were one to attempt to change out a wheel. But, the only question I have yet to get answered is will a rear wheel/flat fit in the back seat of the car ? I know it won't fit in the boot but if it won't fit in the back seat it would make for an expensive bit of roadside trash should your flat occur a few hundred miles from home.
I forgot to mention that once I had my space saver mounted & inflated, I "bagged" (put inside of a large lawn trash bag as to not get rear seat dirty) my front wheel and put it in the right rear passenger seat. It fit just fine and I secured using seat belt.

Having said that, as we all know the rear tire is much larger (primarily wider), even so, in my opinion it would still fit inside car. (Securing with seat belt might be a challenge but with a spare you shouldn't be driving faster than 60MPH and traveling short distances anyway...) Another suggtion I read on one of the forums around this specific question was that you could cut completely around the sidewalls on both sides and remove the tread section, so the wheel would take up less space inside the car... (For me this is a last alternative as I have road hazard and if I were to cut the tread off, I'd null my warranty on the tire; which defeats the purpose of getting the warranty.)

It was the best "Accessory" I've bought so far!
Side note: I have read posts & seen posted pics of the 986/Boxster doughnut spare installed on a CS but required a 7mm spacer to clear the calibers. Do a search and you should be able to find the thread.

By the way, given your choice of car and color scheme I can only assume you are a man of class, culture and excellent taste.

And same to you, my friend!