997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Installing new K&N FIPK tonight

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 10:27 AM
Mika_Hakkinen is infamous around these parts
You're not kidding about the amount of peices involved for an intake- I spent the first ten minutes just organizing the hardware so I could follow the instructions properly! Some of you might want to have a magnifying glass handy for following the assembly diagram, lol. Also, I had to go to Home Depot because one bolt was the wrong size, plus they shorted me a 6mm allen bolt/washers/locking nut.

Also the holes for the flange the MAF mounts to were a bit strange; I had to literally force thread the button head screws through hard plastic (kydex?). I just about stripped the allen heads doing it. I hope I never have to remove the MAF again!!

Other than that, the install and fitment are good. Since I haven't modded the exhaust yet the music past 4K rpms is a welcome sound. Right there made the purchase worth it. Butt dyno reports improved throttle response, not much else. Looking forward to adding exhaust/ecu flash now!

Old 06-27-2006, 10:41 AM
Evil997 has a spectacular aura aboutEvil997 has a spectacular aura aboutEvil997 has a spectacular aura about
Did you have the same problem as me with the engine vacum line that normally goes into the back of the stock airbox. The intake tube had nowhere to put it so I drilled a hole in it and put it there.

See my pics.

Old 06-27-2006, 10:52 AM
No vacum line on mine; manual transmission here. Yours is tip, correct? I saw the provisions in the instructions for the tiptronic installation; I was relieved when I realized I didn't have to add that modification to it.

Old 06-27-2006, 10:55 AM
Btw, I've only but about 5 miles on the car since install, so perhaps I need to give the ecu a chance before commenting on power gain.

Old 06-27-2006, 11:20 AM
Evil997 has a spectacular aura aboutEvil997 has a spectacular aura aboutEvil997 has a spectacular aura about
Thats the thing, I don't have a tiptronic

Old 06-27-2006, 11:50 AM
That's odd. No vacum line on mine.

Old 06-27-2006, 06:30 PM
Kevin034 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Mika_Hakkinen
That's odd. No vacum line on mine.
it's for the helmholtz resonator, which I think only are on certain C2S (PSE maybe? Or S only maybe? Not sure).

Old 06-28-2006, 10:09 PM
Banned
evsmotors has a spectacular aura aboutevsmotors has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Mika_Hakkinen
Btw, I've only but about 5 miles on the car since install, so perhaps I need to give the ecu a chance before commenting on power gain.
You will definitely gain more HP as you drive. I dyoned 3 times with the K&N intake system and everytime it gained a bit more HP.

Old 06-28-2006, 10:10 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by JCS
I have a question for those who just installed the K&N filter .
How long does it take to install ?
And is the few extra HP worth the effort since it can only be used during mild weather and then have to replace it with the factory air intake at all other times ?
Its not just a few HP guy, there is a 20-25HP gain in upper RPM range. For me I gained 8HP at the peak, but that only lasts about 1,000RPM. The entire HP curve shifts up, HP gains start at 10-25RWHP gaines throughout the entire RPM range. Read my post and look at the Dyno sheet.

Old 06-29-2006, 12:23 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by JCS
Are you sure you don't work for K&N ? Lol

I am going to have to write to Porsche .
They have the nerve to charge $17,000 for a 27 HP power gain option
and here I can get 25 HP from just a lousy $300 filter .
LOL No, I have no affiliation with K&N.

Old 06-29-2006, 11:27 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
JCS and anyone else...

The intake takes about 1 hour to install. Really easy. It has made anywhere from 14-20 WHP.

K&N posts that mild weather statement for them legallly. YOU CAN USE THE INTAKE YEAR ROUND. They dont want morons with Civics using filters in the fender well to drive through a Texas flash flood and floor the car sucking up water and seizing the engine. YOU HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT!

Old 06-29-2006, 12:26 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by JCS
That's great .
If that's the case and there is nothing to worry about , tell them to remove their WARNING and warranty threats from all PORSCHE installations.
Thats just silly, they won't listen to you. Its there for liability reasons, same thing when you play a arcade game. Play at your own risk. Or using a Hotel Valet service, whether its 1 Star or 6 Stars they won't gaurantee the safety of your car. Even though its very likely that nothing will ever happen.

Maybe you shouldn't get an intake system, because all intake system will void the Porsche warranty.

Last edited by evsmotors; 06-29-2006 at 12:29 PM.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:53 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JCS
That's great .
If that's the case and there is nothing to worry about , tell them to remove their WARNING and warranty threats from all PORSCHE installations.
Ask PCA to remove the warning stickers on the visors and see what kind of response you get - everyone wants legal protection.

Old 06-29-2006, 01:02 PM
adybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by JCS
You're kidding , right ?
My 997 S is not an arcade game .
I for one will not install just any piece of crap based on someones verbal OK . Most certainly not a product whose manufacturer has given EXPLICIT WRITTEN WARNINGS to remove it , except during "mild "
weather conditions (whatever that means )

So, until they have enough faith in their product to guarantee it will function as advertised , without ill effects on it and my car during ALL normal operating conditions , I will pass .

Btw: is this a new product or has it been around for a few years ?
Just keep your car stock, you aint a car guy if you are willing to try and make your car perform.

Old 06-29-2006, 07:21 PM
Banned
The K&N is already proven to increase 20-25RWHP in the curve! Thats quoting REAR WHEEL HP, no BHP how manufacturers quote. Covert it to BHP and it'll be 27-32HP gain! Its not a lie, I had two of my cars dynoed with this same intake system!

From you thoughts you shouldn't be buying anything aftermarket. Stick with Porsche's Club Package if you can afford it, that way Porsche will warranty it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Installing new K&N FIPK tonight