997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 and ipod

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 04:38 AM
mishref is infamous around these parts
And the suppliers know that a large majority of people with Ipods want MOST integration. What they don't know is how to make it work ...

Old 07-11-2006, 07:54 AM
bob/ft.worth is infamous around these parts
With all the forum discussion on all the p-car boards, you would think that we'd have an interface already. Most has been out since 03; so three years later we're all still waiting. (no electronic guru's out there?; here' your opportunity)

I checked the Becker Board for a MOST discussion and sure enough there is a posting about a MOST interface. why not ask the maker of the OEM radios, right? Who could do it in a snap?
Well, lots of discussion but not one response from Becker (Horst).
Man aren't they listening?

Old 07-11-2006, 11:20 AM
There was a guy on one of the other Pboards who reversed engineered the MOST system and was able to interface a aux input. Nothing public came out of his results tho ..

Old 07-11-2006, 12:15 PM
jlingk is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 2thfixr
Just use MP3s. Unless you are a real scan-o-holic, a few hundred tracks on a MP3 CD should suffice. Even if you need multiple discs for your collection, you couldn't possibly listen to all of that music in one sitting. Yes, it's inconvenient if you really must have all of your music in one place but it sure beats using an FM modulator!
I thought this would be the solution too and didn't get the changer. However mp3 cd's rarely play without serious issues. freezing, skipping, reads tracks and then is unable to read same, cd text is not able to load so the arrow controls to move to the next track don't work are some.

Random track sequence control is not Random at all. It plays the exact same "shuffled" order every time. even if you remove the disc and put it back in, it will play the exact same songs in the same order when random is on. would also be nice if the PCM could remember the random setting instead of you having to go and select it through 3 menus everytime.

Old 07-11-2006, 12:37 PM
2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by jlingk
I thought this would be the solution too and didn't get the changer. However mp3 cd's rarely play without serious issues. freezing, skipping, reads tracks and then is unable to read same, cd text is not able to load so the arrow controls to move to the next track don't work are some.

Random track sequence control is not Random at all. It plays the exact same "shuffled" order every time. even if you remove the disc and put it back in, it will play the exact same songs in the same order when random is on. would also be nice if the PCM could remember the random setting instead of you having to go and select it through 3 menus everytime.
You might want to get your PCM checked out or maybe try a different burner. Obviously you have the same 2nd gen PCM MP3/WMA playing unit that I have and but it definitely sounds like something is wrong with yours or your CDs.

I use MP3s exclusively in the single slot player and I haven't had any of the issues you reported. The only one I don't know about is the random mode since I never use it. I have a CD changer as well but I hardly ever use it.

By coincidence, I was just about to make an appointment to take my wife's S500 in because her Command unit's in-car CD player is skipping badly and her CD changer won't recognize CDs.

Old 07-12-2006, 10:04 PM
Paul S-in TX is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jlingk

You're correct about the random play sequence, but my MP3 cd's play flawlessly and once I figured out the format for the tags, I get song, artist, and album title display on the pcm. Even so, when, if or ever there's an ipod interface for these MOST units, I'm buying one. And I've got the same waiting problem on my 06 A6--there's no Ipod interface for that one, either. Older A6's or Audi's with the base audio system, yes.

Just makes you want to strangle the bozos who design head units without aux in jacks.

Old 07-12-2006, 10:45 PM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
I spoke with Reus yesterday re this issue and they said they have a company working on it, but since this has limited MASS appeal they have been put on the back burner. He said he doesn't even expect a prototype for 6 months of so.

Old 07-13-2006, 04:31 AM
We have been promised one from Dension for a while now; they needed '6 more weeks'. Which has usually been the case with them. As for limited MASS appeal. The MOST system works with the majority of german cars made after 2004; I see that as a fairly large customer base. Especially since nothing is currently available.

In other news, Kensington released a Ipod-FM Transmitter with RDS. Which means it can display song and artist names on the car stereo.

http://us.kensington.com/html/11206.html

Old 07-13-2006, 07:52 AM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
Thanks, I will pass it on.

Old 07-13-2006, 01:14 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
iaAaron is infamous around these parts
I like having a kenwood in my car! for 100.00 I was able to get the Ipod interface and it pluged in to the back of my HU and I was on my way.
Never listen to the radio any more!

Old 07-13-2006, 07:07 PM
blakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond repute
You know what, we might be a limited market, but judging by the demand on this forum and three others, alot of us want them. If not enough at their regular "guy who has a Civic" price, then double it. We're a different demographic altogether and we want a friggin iPod thingy!

Old 07-13-2006, 11:55 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
I bet if Porsche made the iPod hook up an option just about everyone would get it.

Old 07-14-2006, 06:30 PM
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Add me to the list of those who desire the iPod hookup.

Some guys I work with and I are going to try to come up with a splice for the connector for the CD changer and the iPod USB cable (we work in a tech shop). If not that, then we'll try to come up with a custom cable spliced into the iPod connector. There's got to be a way to do it...

Old 07-14-2006, 07:42 PM
2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold
It must not be an easy thing to do but it is possible with the MOST system. Looking at the window sticker for my GL450, it says that the ipod adapter/interface is normally included with the car but got deleted because of the rear seat DVD screens. Maybe someone could figure out a way to incorporate whatever it is that Mercedes does on the GL.

Old 07-15-2006, 12:10 PM
Hussain is just really niceHussain is just really niceHussain is just really niceHussain is just really nice
Originally Posted by mishref
We have been promised one from Dension for a while now; they needed '6 more weeks'. Which has usually been the case with them. As for limited MASS appeal. The MOST system works with the majority of german cars made after 2004; I see that as a fairly large customer base. Especially since nothing is currently available.

In other news, Kensington released a Ipod-FM Transmitter with RDS. Which means it can display song and artist names on the car stereo.

http://us.kensington.com/html/11206.html
except, u can only choose from 3 designated settings instead of choosing ur own frequency like the monster icarplay plus.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 and ipod