997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

How many quarts of oil did you go through during break-in?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 04:30 AM
2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold
Another freaky thing I heard about the 997S is that the left exhaust tip gets more soot (I don't know the exact term but you know what I mean) buildup than the right.

Old 07-12-2006, 08:51 AM
Doctor K is infamous around these parts
1/2 quart @ 3280 miles. Maybe your rings aren't seated yet? Should be though with the milage you have put on. Run it up to redline numerous times this next 10 days and see if that helps. Just MHO.

Old 07-12-2006, 09:07 AM
Banned
vincenzina is a splendid one to beholdvincenzina is a splendid one to beholdvincenzina is a splendid one to beholdvincenzina is a splendid one to beholdvincenzina is a splendid one to beholdvincenzina is a splendid one to beholdvincenzina is a splendid one to behold
Yes WTF??? is wrong

Originally Posted by TheJudge
I swear to everyone I love that I have to put in a quart almost every other time I fill my car up. WTF? I have added oil over 15 times and I have 11k miles on the ride. I do not drive particularily hard either.

Neil- How did you get your engine replaced? How can I prove my oil consumption to the dealer?
Judge, your killing us, 15 times ??
Thats more than a quart per 1000 miles

Old 07-12-2006, 09:13 PM
drbf is infamous around these parts
C4S 1/2QT 6,000 miles. Had the oil changed.

Old 07-13-2006, 01:03 AM
synergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to behold
C2S 2 QTS per 4k miles

Old 07-13-2006, 12:52 PM
Shawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond repute
Why are we all different ends of the spectrum? I drive pretty hard and I loved having a damn dipstick to check instead of having to wait for the damn 20 minute countdown.

Old 07-13-2006, 06:24 PM
Size is infamous around these parts
Such a wide variance, sounds to me like Porsche is not building engines consistently. My engine had to have the valve tensioner replaced due to a hole that wasn't fully open enough to allow proper oil pressure to arrive at the component. Hence component failure and loud pinging noise until it was replaced.

Old 07-13-2006, 09:07 PM
rebe1 is infamous around these parts
I have the same problem!! Is this normal?!?!
Originally Posted by 2thfixr
Another freaky thing I heard about the 997S is that the left exhaust tip gets more soot (I don't know the exact term but you know what I mean) buildup than the right.

Old 07-13-2006, 10:38 PM
Size is infamous around these parts
I don't have this issue. My exhausts are pretty much the same on residue.

Old 07-16-2006, 08:18 AM
Shawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond repute
FYI I talked to Champion, A service advisor I trust said a full quart every 1000 miles or so. It will start to burn less once it wears in a bit.

Old 07-16-2006, 09:05 AM
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
I am a little over 500 miles now, but I do the oil check often. Every time it has been in the "zone", but this thread is scaring the crap out of me. Should I just have a case of Mobil 1 in my garage?

Here's my frivolous n00b question for the day: Do I have to hold the key in position for the countdown or not? I had a 4-minute one yesterday and I felt like a dork holding it, but I didn't want to restart...

Old 07-16-2006, 10:59 AM
Banned
vincenzina is a splendid one to beholdvincenzina is a splendid one to beholdvincenzina is a splendid one to beholdvincenzina is a splendid one to beholdvincenzina is a splendid one to beholdvincenzina is a splendid one to beholdvincenzina is a splendid one to behold
Y Funny

Its Saturday morning....
I am a P chick answering your question....

No, you dont have to hold the key at all
Just make sure its in the on position and you see the time counter going down, down, down....

I go turn on my lawn sprinklers or something while its counting down!!

I asked Porsche service where the dipstick was after I bought it and they laughed at me.
My Boxster had a 3 ft stick, not kidding... well, you know!!

Old 07-16-2006, 12:17 PM
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Thank you for the answer...

I am comfortable enough with myself to not feel TOO dumb about a "P chick" answering a car question for me... LOL

Old 07-16-2006, 12:42 PM
Banned
Its all about Porsche Happiness

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
Thank you for the answer...

I am comfortable enough with myself to not feel TOO dumb about a "P chick" answering a car question for me... LOL
Your welcome...
Well, lets just say...I had a smile on my face and am happy to help with your question....
Your from Cali Chris, you rock, regardless!!!!!

Old 07-20-2006, 12:06 AM
Paul S-in TX is infamous around these parts
My X51 has burned virtually no oil in 2400 miles--1 bar down from full and that dropped one day after a big cloud of smoke on start up. Outside of my 01 996 Turbo, none of my water cooled Porsches (986, 996, 996 C4, 986 S and now the Club Coupe X51) burned enough oil to require adding any between oil changes.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How many quarts of oil did you go through during break-in?