997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997S vs N/A M3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 12:33 AM
StrtSwpr996 is infamous around these parts
997S vs N/A M3

Hey everyone. i noticed thers always tention and confusion when comparing a 997s to a M3. Although stock for stock the 997S will handle an M3 but those things can get pretty quick when modded correctly.
I recently purchased a 06 997S and been waiting to do a run with my friends M3. My friend has an 05 ZCP M3 and has been modding for a while keeping N/A. His car is practically a fully N/A M3. His mods are : 4:10 gearing, Supersprint version 2 headers, Supersprint S and X straight pipe, Supersprint race muffler, B.H.S. pulleys, U.U.C. short shift kit, streamline filter, Shrik stg 2 cams (will be going with a more aggressive set up shortly), light weight front bumber, light weight trunk, light weight hood, light weight battery; plus he has manuel seats and no sunroof.
He is extremely confident that he can walk on my car and im pretty sure he should be able to considering he will probably have more power then me better gearing and higher redline, also i think our cars will weight about the same.

Once his car gets out of the shop and his tuning for his cams are done and once my car is broken in we will be doing a run. I'll keep you guys posted.

Old 07-31-2006, 02:05 AM
yemenmocha is infamous around these parts
I don't know who to root for!

Old 07-31-2006, 09:42 AM
Shawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond repute
Good luck with the race. What is a "CZP" M3?

Old 07-31-2006, 10:10 AM
mishref is infamous around these parts
M3 + Competition Package

Already renowned for its performance and handling, the new Competition Package takes M3 performance to the razors edge. Every aspect of the M3s handling has been tweaked resulting in the best-handling M3 ever.

The wheels are 19-inch forged-alloy wheels with high-performance tires. They connect to a suspension that has been tuned specifically for the Competition Package. Turn-in is quicker with a more direct steering ratio which goes from 15.4:1 to 14.5:1.

M Track mode and brake system taken from the BMW M3 CSL
The Dynamic Stability Control system includes a less intrusive M track mode, as on the M3 CSL, ensuring the security of DSC and spirited driving too. For inclement conditions the regular DSC mode remains. The brakes, also adopted from the M3 CSL, include compound and cross-drilled rotors. The front rotors have also been enlarged from 12.8 to 13.6 inches.

As the serious enthusiast would expect, the Competition Package is available in combination with the standard six-speed manual or the optional Sequential Manual Gearbox.

The interior enhancements of the package are subtle but purposeful. The Alcantara steering wheel and handbrake grip feel good to the touch. The addition of the steering wheel-mounted button for the DSC M track mode requires the deletion of the multi-function controls and cruise control. The Competition Package is available with all M3 Coupe interior and exterior color combinations. Two trim items are exclusive to the Competition Package. Special Competition Package aluminum trim is included on the interior. A new exterior color, Interlagos Blue, is offered only with this package.

The Competition Package will be available for 2005 M3 Coupes beginning with December 2004 production and it will make its debut at the Los Angeles Auto Show. The price for the package will be $4,000.

Old 07-31-2006, 10:44 AM
bentley500 is infamous around these partsbentley500 is infamous around these parts
When ur friend isnt looking, put a pile of bricks in his trunk to add some weight

Old 07-31-2006, 11:22 AM
Le Chef is infamous around these parts
The key is what kind of track are you going to race on? that might make a significant difference as to who gets the faster lap time. Have you a local track you're going to use?

Old 07-31-2006, 11:36 AM
yemenmocha is infamous around these parts
I think they're just going to do a straight line drag race, no?

Old 07-31-2006, 12:16 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by StrtSwpr996
Hey everyone. i noticed thers always tention and confusion when comparing a 997s to a M3. Although stock for stock the 997S will handle an M3 but those things can get pretty quick when modded correctly.
I recently purchased a 06 997S and been waiting to do a run with my friends M3. My friend has an 05 ZCP M3 and has been modding for a while keeping N/A. His car is practically a fully N/A M3. His mods are : 4:10 gearing, Supersprint version 2 headers, Supersprint S and X straight pipe, Supersprint race muffler, B.H.S. pulleys, U.U.C. short shift kit, streamline filter, Shrik stg 2 cams (will be going with a more aggressive set up shortly), light weight front bumber, light weight trunk, light weight hood, light weight battery; plus he has manuel seats and no sunroof.
He is extremely confident that he can walk on my car and im pretty sure he should be able to considering he will probably have more power then me better gearing and higher redline, also i think our cars will weight about the same.
Assuming you can drive your car properly, the M3 will lose.

All of those mods and his car might trap 110 mph on it's best day. Trust me...I've been where he is and then went much further. The only way he'll beat your 997S is to go to a high compression N/A motor, or go F/I.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 07-31-2006 at 12:21 PM.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:32 PM
Doctor K is infamous around these parts
I don't think the M3 will beat you, but it will stay with you until triple digits.

Old 07-31-2006, 04:23 PM
well we'll probably go to the drag strip forsure but he really wants to go from a 3rd gear roll because he thinks thats where he has the most advantage. Ive seen him race a couple of cars from a 3rd gear roll and hes fast. he automatically jumps on stock M3's becuase of his gearing advantage (being at higher rpm's), and that was without his cams; he even took my 99 355 GTS ferrari.

When he raced with stock M3's with all those mods except cams he would jump on them about 2 cars and pretty much hold that distance and not really gain. He dynoed with those mods and got 290rwhp (full exhuast, 4:10's, pulleys, software). he was running on the incorrect software that is why he dynoed so low. his tuner told him that after the cams and tunning he will have around 315whp.

If we run from a launch im pretty sure ill ge the jump and keep it. Im jsut concerned about the high speed rolls.

PS: he has ran a his car at the 1/4 mile (LACR, worst track around our area; 2700 ft) He ran stock a 14.1 @ around 99 and ran a 14.0 @ around 103 with full exhaust, pulleys, 4:10's, software, and all the light weight stuff i mentioned....I had my 04 Z06 back then and ran a 12.9 at 108ish,,, (very very bad track)

Old 07-31-2006, 09:11 PM
joecmess is infamous around these parts
PS: he has ran a his car at the 1/4 mile (LACR, worst track around our area; 2700 ft) He ran stock a 14.1 @ around 99 and ran a 14.0 @ around 103 with full exhaust, pulleys, 4:10's, software, and all the light weight stuff i mentioned....I had my 04 Z06 back then and ran a 12.9 at 108ish,,, (very very bad track)[/QUOTE]

My stock 997 C2S ran a 12.9 at 111 mph in 90 degree weather with a normal take off from the line - no launching or clutch dropping. You should have no problem.

Old 07-31-2006, 09:51 PM
Le Chef is infamous around these parts
I don't get it. Why would you go drag racing in a sports car? Seems like a waste to me. If you want to drag race buy American Muscle not a sports car which belongs on the track.

Old 07-31-2006, 11:12 PM
Shawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by joecmess
PS: he has ran a his car at the 1/4 mile (LACR, worst track around our area; 2700 ft) He ran stock a 14.1 @ around 99 and ran a 14.0 @ around 103 with full exhaust, pulleys, 4:10's, software, and all the light weight stuff i mentioned....I had my 04 Z06 back then and ran a 12.9 at 108ish,,, (very very bad track)
My stock 997 C2S ran a 12.9 at 111 mph in 90 degree weather with a normal take off from the line - no launching or clutch dropping. You should have no problem.[/quote]

997 S is capable of running a 12.4 - 12.6 in the 1/4 mile. I ran a 12.8 personally in 90 degree weather. With just an intake and headers.

Old 08-01-2006, 01:36 AM
Originally Posted by Le Chef
I don't get it. Why would you go drag racing in a sports car? Seems like a waste to me. If you want to drag race buy American Muscle not a sports car which belongs on the track.
we jsut want to compare the cars.. too much driver skill is invovled if we take it to the road corse. we also want to see if his mod's made any difference.

Old 08-01-2006, 01:38 AM
Originally Posted by Shawn C
My stock 997 C2S ran a 12.9 at 111 mph in 90 degree weather with a normal take off from the line - no launching or clutch dropping. You should have no problem.
997 S is capable of running a 12.4 - 12.6 in the 1/4 mile. I ran a 12.8 personally in 90 degree weather. With just an intake and headers.[/quote]
An M3 with my friends set up is suppose to do low 12's.. I have another friend with an M3 who has 3.91 gears and pulleys and he ran a 12.8.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.