997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Nav-TV ipod most adapter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 07:48 AM
Mister PINK is infamous around these parts
Eric-

I emailed you, keep me posted as well for the group buy. TKS

Old 01-13-2007, 11:21 AM
TAnthony is infamous around these parts
Eric - are you GBing the Gateway 500 unit which is shown: http://www.maxcount.de/ - it says "Denison" on it....

I still don't understand (or care to) about the Denison, Denison USA, DICE differentiations - really just want to know what the detailed instructions/features are of the particular unit that you are grouping.

The Gateway 500 looks perfect - is this the unit you are GBing?

Thanks in advance for clarifying..... T

Old 01-13-2007, 02:24 PM
taratko is infamous around these parts
IPOD Adapter

I had the fiberoptic iPOD interface installed in my 2006 C2S last fall. It is sweet. Uploads the entire playlist sequentially to the Nav system, operated and displayed onscreen, fine sound through the BOSE system and charges simultaneously. It cost $700 installed, and is worth the money. The only drawback - if you could call it that - is you lose the multidisc CD changer because the iPOD is interfaced through it.

I'm thinking of switching my 19" Sport Design wheels for TechArt Formulas (same size). I had them on my 1996 993 polar silver/black C2 and loved them. Looking at about $3700 installed with my wheels in trade through my dealer. Any comments pros or cons?

My 997C2S:
black/black
soft ruffled leather seats
power seat package
Tiptronic - absolutely love it, so no smart remarks
BOSE upgraded system
6-disc CD changer
stainless steel exhaust
Nav system
19" Sport Design wheels w/colored crests
black mats
heated seats
stickered at $93,925 (ouch...)

I had my dealer install a spare tire rack and the donut and jacking kit from the 996 in the front cargo space - love it and feel more secure on the road!

Old 01-14-2007, 12:02 AM
gravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by taratko
I had the fiberoptic iPOD interface installed in my 2006 C2S last fall. It is sweet. Uploads the entire playlist sequentially to the Nav system, operated and displayed onscreen, fine sound through the BOSE system and charges simultaneously. It cost $700 installed, and is worth the money. The only drawback - if you could call it that - is you lose the multidisc CD changer because the iPOD is interfaced through it.
Which one do you have installed?

Old 01-14-2007, 02:20 AM
mishref is infamous around these parts
I believe you retain CD Changer control with the Dension unit...

Old 01-14-2007, 07:25 AM
larrytrk is infamous around these parts
You flip a switch on the separate control module, which also renders the unit invisible to diagnostics and has Aux and USB inputs! This is with the Dension unit!

Old 01-15-2007, 02:31 PM
rmag is infamous around these parts
Is the Dension going to be available anymore? Just went to the www.densionusa.com website and this came up on the home page:

Dension Audio Systems, Ltd. and Dension USA, Inc. have terminated
their relationship, whereby Dension USA distributed Dension Audio
Systems products in North America. Effective immediately,
Dension USA is no longer selling, servicing or supporting
Dension Audio Systems products.

For Dension Audio Systems product support and warranty-related
questions, please visit www.dension.com, or contact
Dension Audio Systems at support@dension.com.
For support regarding other products purchased from Dension USA. Inc., please
contact the product's respective manufacturer.

Old 01-15-2007, 02:40 PM
larrytrk is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by rmag
Is the Dension going to be available anymore? Just went to the www.densionusa.com website and this came up on the home page:

Dension Audio Systems, Ltd. and Dension USA, Inc. have terminated
their relationship, whereby Dension USA distributed Dension Audio
Systems products in North America. Effective immediately,
Dension USA is no longer selling, servicing or supporting
Dension Audio Systems products.

For Dension Audio Systems product support and warranty-related
questions, please visit www.dension.com, or contact
Dension Audio Systems at support@dension.com.
For support regarding other products purchased from Dension USA. Inc., please
contact the product's respective manufacturer.
Remember guys, we're putting the group buy together for a reason....PRICE. And the unit we are dealing with is the benchmark in that field: Dension. Yes, it's late to market, but only because they won't release it until the damn thing is perfect. In final testing now, due for release any day or a week or so based on last results.

If you have not emailed about the group buy, just email em (eric@bumperplugs.com) and give me your name/model/year/nav/bose/cd info.

Thanks.
Check us out! We do custom paintwork on all Porsche parts!

Old 01-15-2007, 10:20 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
DensionUSA is not providing the Dension-made product. We are working directly with Dension. These units are stunning, well-packaged, well-designed and thought out. They will be fully featured, and we expect to have our first units this coming week!

And yes, the Group Buy is THIS Dension Gateway 500 unit. It works perfectly and all tweaks are now done.

Once we have the details worked out, everyone on the group buy list will be notified. Most likely less than 10 days.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:46 PM
rmag is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the update.

Old 01-16-2007, 11:12 AM
taratko is infamous around these parts
Doug:

I don't know the manufacturer of the iPOD interface that is installed. You can contact Marty at the following to get info:

Soundz Plus Incorporated

30W260 Butterfield Rd Ste 201A
Warrenville, IL 60555-1569View Map
(630) 393-3333

Old 01-19-2007, 08:06 AM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Eric (Plug Guy)
DensionUSA is not providing the Dension-made product. We are working directly with Dension. These units are stunning, well-packaged, well-designed and thought out. They will be fully featured, and we expect to have our first units this coming week!

And yes, the Group Buy is THIS Dension Gateway 500 unit. It works perfectly and all tweaks are now done.

Once we have the details worked out, everyone on the group buy list will be notified. Most likely less than 10 days.

Is this true??? It has been a while and a lot of promises.

Old 01-19-2007, 08:35 AM
ukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond reputeukchris has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by neil.schneider
Is this true??? It has been a while and a lot of promises.
I know the waiting is frustrating but I'd think it reasonable to assume Eric is passing on the best information he can at any given time. The wait is killing me but as of two days ago at least it seems to be getting closer.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:31 AM
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
I might just go with the Cayenne Sat Radio swap instead... Keep me informed on the GB, Eric. First come, first served...

Old 01-19-2007, 12:58 PM
TAnthony is infamous around these parts
NavTV - iPod Integration - Gateway 500 - Maxxcount - Denison

I am a bit naive about the whole iPod integration thing, so if any of this helps anybody else, or if any more knowlegeable members can correct or revise, I would appreciate it - especially Eric since I have some questions about the Group Buy as a result of my readings.

NavTV:

I have been using the NavTV interface in my Cayenne and it does what it is supposed to do reasonably well. Unfortunately, I believe I jumped in too soon with this one based upon what I have subsequently learned with the information I have gleaned from 6speedonline.

The NavTV utilizes the existing menus under the Audio for the CD Changer (which I didn't have dealer installed on the Cayenne, but do on my 997, so the Denison unit sounds more appealing so I can keep the CD changer). The NavTV unit was a little clunky at first:

1) After selecting a track from the Track List menu (other than the one that is currently playing (eg, going from a playlist to an artist list, or even within the artist list to a different artist)), I need to go back and hit the "Play Selection" button under the CD List menu - inconvenient, but workable.

2) I couldn't Random Play a Playlist

3) Sometimes the unit just plain gets stuck loading the iPod content, but a couple off and ons for the headunit does the trick - this has happened only once.

4) There is an AUX jack for a satellite radio if I want to go that way

5) No video as it exists (have not searched NavTV for addons to see if I hooked up the Video iPod to play back episodes of "Prison Break"!)

Overall, it suits me fine, but at a $1,000 purhchase and installation cost (it was routed to my glove compartment), it was an expensive experiement.

Gateway 500 Unit (I'm calling it that since there I continue to have confusion over Denison vs. Denison USA and Eric said the Group Buy is for the Gateway 500)

Specific Product Info:

http://www.dension.com/icelinkgateway500.php

http://www.dension4u.de/shop/boxen_c...faqdesk_id=186

From what I gather reading www.maxxcount.de and www.denison.com about this unit, its the one I really want and will put in my 997.

Prelimnary warnings include: checking the connection plugs - Tyco / AMP plugs ARE compatible - Yazaki are not and compatibility is under development. I would like to check mine, but don't know exactly where to look - I believe it would be where the CD changer is... ADVICE?

Primary Features over NavTV - there are more on the maxxount.de website:

1) No loss of CD Changer (but there is a "Change Over" switch to toggle between the iPod and the CD Changer) - very cool since oftentimes I buy a handful of CDs while on the road and will toss them in for a month or so before burning them to iTunes. I therefore am assuming from this that when the switch is in the iPod position, the interface is using the CD Changer menus much like the NavTV unit does. (The photo of the switch shows it to be pretty chunky with the Red/White RCA's - I'd like recommendations as to whether it can be hidden but easily accessible).

2) USB Host Connection for attachment of a thumbdrive with MP3s (nice but with an iPod, don't know if this really is of value to me - not sure if I could acutally file search through a USB drive or how the PCM software would read the drive....)

3) video outlet for rear seat (as opposed to monitor in dash) - with most carreras I believe this is a waste, unless of course its for a supplemental video screen placed elsewhere like in the glove etc.

4) video for monitor in dash: maxxcount does have an adapter to put the video into the in dash monitor (if the PCM Nav system is installed) but I didn't see an equivalent on the denison site (although there is a mention that "ice>Link Plus features video output for great integration with rear seat entertainment systems" - I'm not sure if this means a video iPod or only DVD units)... see questions for Eric below.

QUESTIONS FOR ERIC:

1) If the Denison unit equates to the Gateway 500 unit being offered by Maxxcount, why is all this testing going on for the Denison unit? According to the information on the maxxcount site which has a photo of the Denison unit as the Gateway 500, it is ready for purchase (shipping in 24 hours). Could there be a group buy for the Gateway 500 from Maxxcount?

2) If the Group Buy Denison unit does not equate to the Gateway 500 on maxxcount, can you please explain how it is different and perhaps I can understand why I should wait for the group buy (beyond cost savings presumably)?

3) Assuming the Group Buy Denison Unit is the same as the Gateway 500 in all respects, will your group buy include options to purchase the video enhancements such as (this is information from maxxcount and not the denison site):

A)Multimedia adapter for Porsche with PCM 2 (MOST) (allows the in dash monitor to be used for video assuming the PCM Navigation is installed) AND

B) 4390 TV-free adapter for Porsche with navigation system PCM2 (allows the car to be moving while the monitor is playing the in dash monitor as a TV)

C) Bluetooth unit (I'm not interested, but it was offered on maxxcount, so perhaps someone else might be who uses a cellphone or PDA with bluetooth and MP3)

4) Will we have to know our "head unit" type? CDR23 CDR24 PCM2 PCM2.1? If so, how do we communicate that to you - by car model and year or do we have to investigate the unit?

I trust this information may be of assistance to others and my intent here is simply to understand this opportunity better since the NavTV in my Cayenne is merely acceptable and my desire for a better unit for my 997 - I am thinking this is it.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing from the board.

T

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Nav-TV ipod most adapter