997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Got a nail in the tire, Can I patch it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 07:59 PM
Shawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond repute
Got a nail in the tire, Can I patch it?

I know this has been asked a hundred times. Is it ok to do?

Old 09-08-2006, 08:01 PM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
Not if it's in the sidewall. Otherwise - having it plugged/patched from the inside has been pretty good in the past for me. I've run an HPDE on a repaired tire without any problem.

GL

Last edited by lig; 09-08-2006 at 08:04 PM.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:08 PM
Shawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond repute
Its in the middle of the tread. Thankfully.

Old 09-08-2006, 08:43 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
i have and i would....

Old 09-08-2006, 09:52 PM
Cognac has a brilliant futureCognac has a brilliant futureCognac has a brilliant futureCognac has a brilliant futureCognac has a brilliant futureCognac has a brilliant futureCognac has a brilliant futureCognac has a brilliant futureCognac has a brilliant futureCognac has a brilliant futureCognac has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Shawn C
Its in the middle of the tread. Thankfully.
i did 2 on mine now.
luckly time to change wheel and tire soon...

Old 09-08-2006, 09:55 PM
Banned
Crod is a jewel in the roughCrod is a jewel in the roughCrod is a jewel in the rough
As others have said, as long as it's not in the sidewall or near it, patching is fine - BUT, make sure you use a good patch kit and not the junk they sell at vato zone.
I have a Safety Seal kit and it has come in handy numerous times. Also, it's a permanent repair and will last long after any 911 tire.

https://www.expeditionexchange.com/safetyseal/

Lastly, I've had holes that were large enough to require two of the Safety Seal strips and lots of the glue. This is probably not the case for you, but that much repair can throw the wheel out of balance.

Last edited by Crod; 09-08-2006 at 09:58 PM.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:11 PM
Moogle is infamous around these parts
Remember, when you patch a tire, it loses its speed rating.

Old 09-10-2006, 07:36 PM
Redlined has a spectacular aura aboutRedlined has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by deputydog95
i have and i would....
I have and I would not...statistics indicate that a defect will most likely occurr at the most inopportune moment. Do the math... tire(s) are a small % of the car's value. What price do you place on your peace of mind?

Old 09-10-2006, 09:58 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Redlined
I have and I would not...statistics indicate that a defect will most likely occurr at the most inopportune moment. Do the math... tire(s) are a small % of the car's value. What price do you place on your peace of mind?
i've talked to plenty of tire guys, who have the opportunity to either sell me a tire or a patch, and they always suggest the patch unless the puncture is either too big, in a bad spot, or the tire is worn so it should be replaced anyway.

no matter what i am driving, i am a magnet for sharp objects. i've patched countless tires with never an issue. from the way it was explained to me, the patch combined with the bonding agent actually melts it into the tire making it permanent.

plugs on the other hand are scary and i would never suggest doing that unless it is strictly a temporary fix. i also would not suggest repairing motorcycle tires being that you only have two versus four and the consequences are more dire if something fails.

even if a patch would let go, which it wouldn't, the worse case scenario is that you have the same leak which got you there in the first place. you probably didn't flip your car the first time around. it's not like it will result in a blowout, just another controlled air release.

to each his own, but the probability of a patch failing is probably right up there with picking up a nail during a 180mph run. could happen, but probably won't. do you think these tire shops would assume the liability if this was a risky process? that is why most shops will not do plugs any more.

Old 09-11-2006, 04:31 AM
carbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud of
I always plug mine and have never had any problems.

Old 09-12-2006, 03:07 PM
Raz5219 is a name known to allRaz5219 is a name known to allRaz5219 is a name known to allRaz5219 is a name known to allRaz5219 is a name known to allRaz5219 is a name known to all
I just recently patched my right rear due to a nail. No problems whatsoever. I actaully had a tire shop do it for $20 bucks. Beats the hell out of having to buy a new tire and the result is a permanent seal.

Old 09-12-2006, 04:18 PM
MuffinMan is infamous around these parts
I agree with the above statements and for street driving it won't be an issue. If you track the car with those tires, the extreme heat and stress may allow a plug to become dislodged, causing a flat on the track. Depending on where it happens, it might become a simple nuisance or it might send you into a spin. What's the probability of that happening? Who knows, but it is a factor. Again, for the street, don't sweat it.

Old 09-13-2006, 09:47 AM
I like your sig, Is that your car?

Old 09-13-2006, 09:54 AM
MuffinMan is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Shawn C
I like your sig, Is that your car?
If you're referring to me, my avatar is a pic of my car. If you're referring to someone else, it's not my car

Old 09-14-2006, 12:58 AM
Ronnie is infamous around these parts
I had a patch done once on a rear 295 which had a nail in the middle of the tread. I never tracked the car, but I did straightline (autobahn, etc) 180mph quite a lot without any problems.

Porsche and Michelin advise against patching though.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Got a nail in the tire, Can I patch it?