997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Thinking about selling my 997

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 10:02 AM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by idrachman
Concerns about MB - brake by wire on E or CLS class car. Stopping power no where near as good as 997. I would go for RS4 - great car, all wheel drive, etc.
No more SBC brakes on the Benz

Old 09-22-2006, 01:53 PM
throt is infamous around these parts
M5 all the way , the RS4 got too much of that future boy racer ingredient..M5 just carrys more clout , period.....

throt....

Old 09-22-2006, 04:03 PM
DavidS has much to be proud ofDavidS has much to be proud ofDavidS has much to be proud ofDavidS has much to be proud ofDavidS has much to be proud ofDavidS has much to be proud ofDavidS has much to be proud ofDavidS has much to be proud of
If you need practicality but want something that you also can take to the track go for the RS4, otherwise CLS.

Old 09-23-2006, 01:44 PM
TT
TT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of lightTT is a glorious beacon of light
sorry if it has already been asked...but why not keep the 997 because you have the Cayenne--let your wife drive the Cayenne and use it to haul the children around!

Old 09-23-2006, 03:55 PM
alex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond repute
If you have the funds, buy the car, if you dont like it get rid of it..
ok start with RS4 first...

Old 09-23-2006, 03:56 PM
oneflystud is infamous around these parts
The cls is a nice car and fast but doesnt quite fit in the genre that the porsche and the rs4 is in , yes the rs4 is four doors but with out a doubt more driver involving and so more FUN. Go with the rs4 and about your wife being able to drive stick well thats just plain ****

Old 09-24-2006, 05:16 PM
4wheelspeed is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Shawn C
I am having a practicality attack. Thinking of trading in my Carrera S for either a CLS55 AMG, Quattroporte or a RS4. What do you guys think is still going to be fun out of those two? I need a car that my wife can drive too. I also am tired of trying to get my daughter in and out of the back, Shes getting too big now.
I am also kind of bored after having two 996's before this. I love it, but Its not as different of a car as I had hoped. 4 doors would be nice.
How old is your daughter? I have a new born on the way and wondering how long before she grows out of the back seat.

By the way I LOVE the Maserati Quattroporte SPORT GT, Are you consdering that as well?

Old 09-25-2006, 06:47 PM
Administrator
Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !Control It Is a GOD !
To get from point A to point B, hard to beat the CLS 55..but that being said...I never take my CLS out for a 'drive'...it's fun to hear how great it is from passerby's and pedestrians but that grows old fast.

Trading the 997S for the CLS or any other sedan will be a mistake and ultimately a let down...But for transportation..few can do a better, safer job than the CLS, M5 or RS4..

Keep the sports car...

Old 09-26-2006, 02:50 AM
Turn PSM Off
TheJudge is infamous around these parts
Shawn,

Why not M5? It seems like a perfect solution for you. Might be on the pricey side though. RS4 is for teenagers. All MBZ's are boats and def not engaging drivers. BMW makes a hell of a car if you can forego the looks of the thing. M5 only car I would trade a Porsche for.

Old 09-26-2006, 10:02 AM
Shawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond reputeShawn C has a reputation beyond repute
Funny thing is I just raced a new M5 on saturday on the highway. My 997 got the jump but he caught up really fast but could not pass me. Once we got up to around 85-90 it was a different story, He started to pull Really hard and pas me by a couple car lengths. Up to 145 he started to fall behind. Guess he didnt remove the limiter Honestly I love the engine and wheels but the rest of the car is kinda ugly in my opinion.

I dont know if I can sell it or not. I do agree it is hard to find a car that is going to perform like the Porsche does. I may just end up keeping it. My daughters feet rest on the back of the passenger seat, She is only 14 months but I think in another few months she wont fit. Then I guess I'll worry about it then.

Old 09-26-2006, 01:19 PM
Paul S is infamous around these parts
What the heck are her feet doing on the passenger seat? Move the front seatback up! My kids have grown up in the back of 911's. Still plenty of room back there for them at 11 and almost 8 yo. It gets much easier as they get older for ingress/egress. RS4 has tight quarters as well, and it is 1,000 pounds heavier and slower.
You might consider the new 335 coupe from BMW. Plenty of room back there, I tried it.
Personally, I'd keep the S.

Old 09-26-2006, 01:50 PM
alex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Paul S
What the heck are her feet doing on the passenger seat? Move the front seatback up! My kids have grown up in the back of 911's. Still plenty of room back there for them at 11 and almost 8 yo. It gets much easier as they get older for ingress/egress. RS4 has tight quarters as well, and it is 1,000 pounds heavier and slower.
You might consider the new 335 coupe from BMW. Plenty of room back there, I tried it.
Personally, I'd keep the S.

Old 09-26-2006, 02:36 PM
Joeskie is a jewel in the roughJoeskie is a jewel in the roughJoeskie is a jewel in the roughJoeskie is a jewel in the rough
IMO, I would never drop that kind of dough on an RS4. As good as it looks, and fast as it is, and as performing as it is. It's no where near luxury vehicle status. As for dropping the 997s, I have to agree (looking at your stable). You have a 360 for the joy rides, a cayenne for whatever needs to be pulled, a high performance luxury sedan would be a must. I would personaly go with the m5, v10, SMG III, no headaches, great performance, did I mention the v10?... The CLS would be my second choice.
I don't know to much about the quattroporte to comment on performance, but it doesn't sound like if it would satisfy me.
The Audi, especially in the US version of it is simply not 'that' much of a car for the money. It still based off a very affordable car, and you fit someone in the market for an m3 or a CLK... certainly not a car to cross-shop with the likes of a CLS or QP.
In other words, the RS4 would be fine for singles.. I'm 22 and I already outgrew the likes of m3/rs4, etc etc.

for gods sake I just got an STS... LOL Maybe you should disregard this thread... After all this typing I wasn't just going to erase it.

GL with whatever decision you take. I'm sure you will make the right one.