997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

When a 997 cab was simply not enough...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 02:20 PM
ECB
ECB is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by PorscheC4
Why not just put some gt35r's or gt40r's on the stock 997S 3.8 ltr motor? why buy a 996TT motor and bore it out(assuming your bored it out)?
Forced induction and the M96/M97 is not done by the factory for a variety of reasons. Its a long & controversial but well-discussed topic.

Comparing an NA 3.6 to a TT3.6 is apples to oranges. Not to offend anyone, but one motor costs over 3X the other...They are both great motors for their intended application. The 3.8 M97 is no different.

The Displacemnet increase is done to keep drivability and smooth power delivery/low lag. Sure massive turbos can make 1000HP...but with massive lag!

Also, for reliability puposes - the max boost is 1.2-1.3bar. The combination of larger displacement, larger turbos, cams and custom ECU work all contribute to a powerful - yet tractable, reliable motor. There's a lot of different ways to accomplish a given goal.

This is 9ff's solution for their clients who require a high HP car devoid of large wings, scoops etc. This car is all about stealth - you dont drive an enzo to run to the store in the middle of the night, or pick your kid up from school...or to the doctor's parking lot! Leave it at home!

Old 09-23-2006, 02:41 PM
ECB
Originally Posted by 2thfixr
How are the intercoolers getting enough air flow? Ducting from the wheel wells?
There's some air flow diverted from the engine compartment too, but in general air-water coolers need less air...

"Each type of intercooler has its strength and weakness. Air-to-air units tend to require longer ducting to route the air from the turbo through the intercooler then back to the engine; this extra tubing might increase lag slightly on some engines and may also present interesting packaging challenges. Air-to-water units, however, can have significantly shorter intake plumbing; the intercooler can be placed in hot underhood areas where no airflow is present since the liquid coolant circulates to its radiator. This allows for simpler installation but at an expense of reduced cooling efficiency. Note that both kinds cool better when air is flowing through the intercooler (air-to-air) or the radiator (air-to-water); both kinds can benefit from the installation of a fan for low-speed operation."

- Dempsey's turbocharging 101 page.

Last edited by ECB; 09-23-2006 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:09 PM
DJ
DJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond reputeDJ has a reputation beyond repute
very cool project - thnx for sharing, this is the stuff that makes the web interesting for us porsche nuts

Old 09-23-2006, 11:19 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ECB
This is a 9ff 4.0L 780HP motor and conversion...not an "EVO8000"

The complete conversion is ~$120k...I know, I know - why do that when all you need is a "MO-V-FLOW, a flash and some stickers...?"

If you have to ask...
i know this isn't an evo product, i was commenting that they also do an 800 HP 3.6 liter TT motor buildup as well.

let's see...100K for a nicely optioned 997 cab. another 120K to mod it. $220K. i don't know.... the stealth part of it is cool, but for $220K i'd think i'd want something that at least looked the part too. falls into a weird price niche as there aren't any high HP cabs in that price range so i guess it's a bargain compared to a murci spyder, cgt, or f430 spyder.

neat project regardless.

Old 09-24-2006, 12:09 AM
ECB
Originally Posted by deputydog95
i know this isn't an evo product, i was commenting that they also do an 800 HP 3.6 liter TT motor buildup as well.

let's see...100K for a nicely optioned 997 cab. another 120K to mod it. $220K. i don't know.... the stealth part of it is cool, but for $220K i'd think i'd want something that at least looked the part too. falls into a weird price niche as there aren't any high HP cabs in that price range so i guess it's a bargain compared to a murci spyder, cgt, or f430 spyder.

neat project regardless.
see Andrew, you got it!

For that $220k...you'll have an cab that will *** rape (with no lube) any other cab short of a Zonda F. Granted, nobody does this for "value", but the most common client already has an enzo/zonda/murci etc.. that has the "presence" that no porshce (sorry CGT) ever will. They just need something practical, invisible but FAST.

Old 09-24-2006, 11:27 AM
narbo is infamous around these parts
wheels

Originally Posted by LIL RAJA
What wheels are those and size?
the car looks amazing....
I agree whats the wheel size and was the suspension changed? or is it stock?

-N

Old 09-24-2006, 03:47 PM
pilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nice
Originally Posted by ECB
see Andrew, you got it!

For that $220k...you'll have an cab that will *** rape (with no lube) any other cab short of a Zonda F. Granted, nobody does this for "value", but the most common client already has an enzo/zonda/murci etc.. that has the "presence" that no porshce (sorry CGT) ever will. They just need something practical, invisible but FAST.
Yes right...but how do you think a Porsche 997 to be " invisible"!?

Old 09-24-2006, 04:09 PM
Phoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant future
ECB,

9ff VIN'ed cars......what letters do the VINs start with?

Since you guys started business, have you brought any 9ff VIN cars state-side?

Old 09-24-2006, 04:11 PM
Phoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant futurePhoenix has a brilliant future
By the way are those 9ff's own rims on there? I've never seen them before on a 9ff car.

Old 09-24-2006, 04:16 PM
GT 350 is infamous around these parts
wow, thats some project... must be a fun ride.

Old 09-24-2006, 10:05 PM
Salespunk is infamous around these parts
That is a sick car. I prefer the looks over the TT and the stealth aspect is seriously cool. Big FU money to build a project like that.

Old 09-25-2006, 01:00 AM
MattM has much to be proud ofMattM has much to be proud ofMattM has much to be proud ofMattM has much to be proud ofMattM has much to be proud ofMattM has much to be proud ofMattM has much to be proud ofMattM has much to be proud ofMattM has much to be proud of
wow ... love the look + the motor !

Old 09-25-2006, 03:34 AM
ScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond reputeScottKelly911 has a reputation beyond repute
Whoa, I want one! That thing is sick. 9ff makes just amazing stuff, nobody would question a Ruf of the same type of flavor, it's for the very same type of customer that purchases a Ruf. Very nice work ECB.

Old 09-25-2006, 09:03 AM
MiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant future
cool car, i like those rims. O yea, and the engine

Old 09-26-2006, 10:37 AM
PMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to beholdPMac is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ECB
A stock 415HO 3.6TT is $30k from Porsche....REAL HP costs money.

How much for a fully engineered, built and installed low volume 4.0L 780HP motor...?

The complete conversion is ~$120k...I know, I know - why do that when all you need is a "MO-V-FLOW, a flash and some stickers...?"

If you have to ask...
Do I detect a whiff of snobbery? Reading that post, it seems as though you're disparaging the EVO kits. Do you believe they don't make the power as advertised? Do you believe they cut corners that 9ff don't?

There are a lot of EVO cars out there running around (very quickly), and we don't appear to be seeing grenading motors, so maybe you could clarify your intent.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: When a 997 cab was simply not enough...