997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

found my rattle!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 11:19 AM
trovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nice
found my rattle!!

after months of suffering and almost a trip to the psycho ward, i found the stupid annoying rattle. i could at least bill porsche over 5 hours of labor. it sounds like a metal piece below the shifter. or if you left loose coins in the ashtray.

anyway, the problem is pictured below. amazing how this little loose metal piece can create so much noise. i stuffed paper in between the gap and it is no longer a problem. just in case anyone else has the same issue.

Last edited by trovan; 12-25-2006 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:09 PM
finn is infamous around these parts
Had the exact same issue

those dumasses at porsche replaced it with the same issue occuring. i just stuffed some paper in there and wala.... no rattle.

Old 10-02-2006, 02:43 PM
JCS
JCS is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by finn
those dumasses at porsche replaced it with the same issue occuring. i just stuffed some paper in there and wala.... no rattle.

I don't have the problem.
But instead of shoving some paper into it, why does'nt some "dumbass" just pull the little metal " cigarette extinguisher "out of the ashtray , pry apart the metal tabs a little and put it back in ?
"wala"..... no rattle.

Old 10-02-2006, 04:06 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
no man. trust me, something else is rattling, in the back.

Old 10-02-2006, 05:40 PM
trovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nicetrovan is just really nice
Originally Posted by JCS
I don't have the problem.
But instead of shoving some paper into it, why does'nt some "dumbass" just pull the little metal " cigarette extinguisher "out of the ashtray , pry apart the metal tabs a little and put it back in ?
"wala"..... no rattle.
not sure you know what you are talking about. don't think you can pry part this metal piece...

Old 10-02-2006, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by 20C4S
no man. trust me, something else is rattling, in the back.
you talking about my big ***!!

Old 10-02-2006, 07:19 PM
finn is infamous around these parts
When JCS is done pulling apart his ashtray, why doesnt he shove it up his a*s

Old 10-02-2006, 07:22 PM
but it may still rattle when he walks!!

Last edited by trovan; 10-02-2006 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:29 PM
Coochas is infamous around these partsCoochas is infamous around these parts
Would that make it an asstray?

Old 10-02-2006, 09:52 PM
Banned
Crod is a jewel in the roughCrod is a jewel in the roughCrod is a jewel in the rough
I had the same rattle, too. It comes from that small little plastic piece in the frontmost part of the ashtray circled in your picture - the little round thing you're supposed to put your smoke in to extinguish it. That thing is held in place by a square round piece which pulls right out. On the underside of that piece there are 3 small metal clips that hold the round thing in place. Just take a small flat head screwdriver and push/bend the small clips in so that they grab onto the round thing better - rattle gone.

Old 10-02-2006, 10:45 PM
2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold
Sorry guys but I am at a loss here. That pic shows some woodgrain trim next to the ashtray. ASAIK, there shouldn't be any woodgrain next to the ashtray in a 997 even with the nasty wood package. In fact, looking at the pic, I don't even think it's from a 997 interior. I feel like I am in the twilight zone.

Old 10-02-2006, 11:00 PM
Originally Posted by 2thfixr
Sorry guys but I am at a loss here. That pic shows some woodgrain trim next to the ashtray. ASAIK, there shouldn't be any woodgrain next to the ashtray in a 997 even with the nasty wood package. In fact, looking at the pic, I don't even think it's from a 997 interior. I feel like I am in the twilight zone.
the wood is my desk!!! i took it out to fix it and took the pic sitting on my desk

either that, or my 997S has the worst interior ever made by porsche. in fact, it has a built in computer keyboard you can see at the edge!!

Old 10-03-2006, 02:41 AM
2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold
I was looking at that picture thinking WTF? I almost had to go out to my car and look.

Old 10-03-2006, 10:06 AM
JCS
JCS is infamous around these parts

I was going to respond to both you and trovan ,
but since it's no use arguing with someone who can't even spell " dum(b)*** " or with a mental giant who after months of intensive research (which almost drove him to the edge of insanity ) came up with the highly technical solution to shove a piece of paper into his ashtray to stop it from rattling .......

and then , even after being offered a solution, is still incapable of grasping the concept of removing and bending a little metal tab .....

Well, what can one say ?

PS: Since you can't even spell English, I suggest you also refrain from using big fancy foreign words such as "wala" Lol

Last edited by JCS; 10-03-2006 at 01:21 PM.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by JCS
I was going to respond to both you and trovan ,
but since it's no use arguing with someone who can't spell " dum(b)*** " or with a mental giant who after months of intensive research (which almost drove him to the edge of insanity ) came up with the highly technical solution to shove a piece of paper into his ashtray to stop it from rattling .......

and then , even after being offered a solution, is still incapable of grasping the concept of removing and bending a little metal tab .....

Well, what can one say ?

PS: Since you can't even spell English, I suggest you also refrain from using big fancy foreign words such as "wala" Lol
you are absolutely right, there is not point with such an arguement. but i will at least offer an explanation. your solution may seem like a "solution" to you, but it makes no sense if you have taken a look at the actual piece. the round metal piece is not a thin piece of metal. to force it by pulling in any direction would make this circle an oval or even destroy it. if you look at crod's comment, he described a solution that made sense. he suggested pulling on the taps that keep this strong metal piece in place. maybe i didnt' understand your reply well enough, but it makes no sense and most importantly, sounds arragant and sarcastic (rather than a sincere one as crod).

i am not about to create an odd shape object in my 100k dollar car. that is just me and i can't speak for others. i appreciate everyone's comment in this forum except for those who have to jump into a thread and pretend they know everything while looking down at others. again, i may have gotten the wrong idea. but i can only judge from what you wrote since i don't know you.

now i likely have made numerous spelling and grammatical errors with this simple note. that would explain my pathetic verbal SAT score commonly seen in an immigrant. i am perfectly fine with that. i know my weakness and my strength. i didn't choose to go to law school or become a writer. but i did finish my long journey from a top medical school, residency program and subsepcialty fellowship. but maybe i should learn to write better!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: found my rattle!!