997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Porsche Driving Experience - anyone?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 12:51 PM
mackenzie is infamous around these parts
Porsche Driving Experience - anyone?

i posted this also in another section so sorry if this is not appropriate - but i wanted feedback soon.

The question being has anyone gone throught this two day program? I have a 996 (6spd) and need to get more from my car and i thought this would be a great class.

my fear was the costs were not worth it and you could get the same or better instruction someplace else.

i have been to buttonwillow couple of times w/ some semi instruction and found them to be ok at best so im hoping this would be better.

any thoughts would be great. again my appologies if this is not appropriate in this section

Old 10-03-2006, 01:15 PM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
i would like to know as well. I have considered it. but 3k for 2 days seems like a lot.

anyoen gone to this?

raja

Old 10-03-2006, 06:02 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
There are a bunch of guys on another forum that have been to the PDE in Birminham and really love it. They say it's very worth it too. Also another idea for you is a local Porsche Driver Education day at a local track. I joined PCA and signed up for the Sebring DE Nov 19th. I went last month to check it out and met some instructors and everyone seems to really learn a lot.

Old 10-03-2006, 06:40 PM
fdb996c2 is infamous around these partsfdb996c2 is infamous around these parts
I've been twice, to the basic two-day and the master's two-day, and had an excellent experience both time (both were after they moved to Birmingham from Road Atlanta). The instructors, as well as the track and other facilities were first-rate. The first time the chief instructor was Hurley Haywood, the second time it was Doc Bundy (they rotate based on availability). all were terrific. It is a first-class operation from top to bottom, and I learned a lot and had a blast. I definitely felt like I got my money's worth; in fact, I'm thinking of going back again because it's been a couple years and it's so much fun. I have also taken courses at Infineon and Laguna Seca -- they were good, but not nearly as enjoyable as PDE.

Old 10-04-2006, 10:46 PM
Quick6 is infamous around these parts
I've been to the two day PDE and it's a great course. I've also been to Skip Barber Basic and Advanced Racing Courses. Again, great courses. I've got friends that have attended Bondurant Racing Courses. Barber and Bondurant are very similiar. There's a lot of seat time in both PDE and Skip courses. Both Skip and PDE teach vehicle dynamics. Both courses will improve your driving skills. In addition to teaching high performance driving, another purpose of PDE is to demonstrate the Porsche line. During PDE you drive Cayman S, Boxster, Boxster S, Cayenne, Carrera and Carrera S. There are demonstrations for PSM on a skid pad. Some cars have tiptronic transmissions. All the track driving is done in the Carreras (mostly stock 3.6 liter cars). Carrera S are driven toward the end of day two and those cars are fitted with Ceramic Brakes so you can feel the difference between the standard steelies and the bigger PCCBs.

Skip Barber Intro to Racing is more concentrated on just driving. Skip isn't trying to sell you a Dodge. The lessons learned in the racing course are directly applicable to any car (Porsche included). All the driving is done in the same car which is better when you're trying to learn something new. At Skip there's more opportunity to practice heel toe shifting. If your intent is to learn some specifics about Porsche cars and how to drive them fast then I recommend PDE. If you want to become the best driver possible in the shortest time period, then go to a racing school like Skip Barber. I hope that helps.

Old 10-05-2006, 12:51 AM
fdb996c2 is infamous around these partsfdb996c2 is infamous around these parts
Wow. Sounds like PDE is doing a lot more marketing now. When I went we did the autocross in a Boxster S, but everything else was driving skills in a 911. That's too bad.

Old 10-05-2006, 07:37 AM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
my only reservation is if i am gonna shell out 3k might as well shell out 8k all together and go to Panoz school and get the SCCA license. Very good info guys, thanks!

Old 10-05-2006, 11:30 AM
mackenzie is infamous around these parts
I agree this is great feeback - much appreciated. PDE here i come

Old 10-05-2006, 03:44 PM
lawjdc is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mackenzie
I agree this is great feeback - much appreciated. PDE here i come
Good choice!

Old 10-05-2006, 03:58 PM
Banned
Crod is a jewel in the roughCrod is a jewel in the roughCrod is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Quick6
I've been to the two day PDE and it's a great course. I've also been to Skip Barber Basic and Advanced Racing Courses. Again, great courses. I've got friends that have attended Bondurant Racing Courses. Barber and Bondurant are very similiar. There's a lot of seat time in both PDE and Skip courses. Both Skip and PDE teach vehicle dynamics. Both courses will improve your driving skills. In addition to teaching high performance driving, another purpose of PDE is to demonstrate the Porsche line. During PDE you drive Cayman S, Boxster, Boxster S, Cayenne, Carrera and Carrera S. There are demonstrations for PSM on a skid pad. Some cars have tiptronic transmissions. All the track driving is done in the Carreras (mostly stock 3.6 liter cars). Carrera S are driven toward the end of day two and those cars are fitted with Ceramic Brakes so you can feel the difference between the standard steelies and the bigger PCCBs.

Skip Barber Intro to Racing is more concentrated on just driving. Skip isn't trying to sell you a Dodge. The lessons learned in the racing course are directly applicable to any car (Porsche included). All the driving is done in the same car which is better when you're trying to learn something new. At Skip there's more opportunity to practice heel toe shifting. If your intent is to learn some specifics about Porsche cars and how to drive them fast then I recommend PDE. If you want to become the best driver possible in the shortest time period, then go to a racing school like Skip Barber. I hope that helps.
Excellent advice and I agree 100%.

Old 10-05-2006, 05:06 PM
MiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant futureMiniDHinkle has a brilliant future
my dad loved it. he said they let you drive the car on its absolute edge. he went to the masters and regular.

Old 10-06-2006, 10:33 AM
DHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud ofDHinkle has much to be proud of
My recommendation is for the beginner, and I speak 1st hand, is better to do a PDE before a race school unless you have a background racing motorcross or something similiar. The PDE is far more than marketing. If MiniDHinkle can make good grades, he may have a shot at PDE down the road...