997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

AIRBOX / INTAKE DIY - Helmholz resonator bypass

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 06:39 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
thats crazy, save big go to home depot.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:49 PM
nijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud of
Go to napa

5 bucks get a hose plug ( it is a rubber piece with two washers one on each side and a nut and bolt through the middle) drop it in the hemholtz hole tighten the nut rubber expands closes the hole replace the stock hose and you get the sound and an easy mod for very little.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:00 PM
machina has a spectacular aura aboutmachina has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by nijoma
5 bucks get a hose plug ( it is a rubber piece with two washers one on each side and a nut and bolt through the middle) drop it in the hemholtz hole tighten the nut rubber expands closes the hole replace the stock hose and you get the sound and an easy mod for very little.
are you kidding me? when that nut works itself loose it is going right thru your intake and into your valvetrain and or cylinders.

why dont people here get that a simple cap over the resonator is all that is required?

Old 10-14-2009, 10:03 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
Personally, I wouldn't bother with this mod. Get a real exhaust system and you won't care about the suttle intake noise gained by this at lower rpms.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:18 AM
nijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud ofnijoma has much to be proud of
I have the cap

Originally Posted by machina
are you kidding me? when that nut works itself loose it is going right thru your intake and into your valvetrain and or cylinders.

why dont people here get that a simple cap over the resonator is all that is required?
Was just messing around with other options, got bored one day, if the nut comes loose I will upgrade the 3.4l, was actually putting the cap on today, however, no way the nut can loosen.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:21 AM
I am looking at exhaust

Originally Posted by ntlgnt1
Personally, I wouldn't bother with this mod. Get a real exhaust system and you won't care about the suttle intake noise gained by this at lower rpms.
Just not sure which one, with a cabrio. I do not want it to loud.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:35 AM
Porschedeisgn is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by nijoma
Was just messing around with other options, got bored one day, if the nut comes loose I will upgrade the 3.4l, was actually putting the cap on today, however, no way the nut can loosen.
hi im sorry just want to be sure..

cud u post a pic of this setup..

but im jus wondering wd jus a rubber cap suffice? or is this bolt necessary?

Also my other concern is the temperature issue.. will the rubber melt in anyway? or Is the temp actually not that hot in the airbox?

thank you

Last edited by Porschedeisgn; 10-15-2009 at 10:45 AM.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:52 PM
rubber cap is fine

Either way

Old 08-27-2010, 06:18 PM
Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !
Bumping an old thread.

A few days ago I came across this thread about capping off the resonator to give a little more sound down low. Surprisingly, I had never heard about this before, especially given how much time I spend on this board reading about mods to do to my car.

Anyway, I went out to my garage, popped the engine cover, and took a look. Seemed pretty simple and straightforward... just use an object to block off the resonator tube. But what object? Hmmm. I knew I could find something to do the job around the house.

I went into my 3 year old daughter's room, and found the perfect object. A plastic cup from her toy tea set.

I undid the hose clamp and jammed the cup in upside down, fit the rim around the bottom portion, and then retightened the hose clamp. Done and done.

Now I only took the car around the block, and I can't say that it sounds any different, but we'll see tomorrow when I give it a true test.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:22 PM
cam99 is infamous around these partscam99 is infamous around these parts
Somebody tell me if its a 3in 90 elbow or a 3in 45deg Elbow,
It looks to me like it should be a 3in 45deg elbow.

TIA

Old 06-29-2011, 06:07 PM
cam99 is infamous around these partscam99 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by cam99
Somebody tell me if its a 3in 90 elbow or a 3in 45deg Elbow,
It looks to me like it should be a 3in 45deg elbow.

TIA
to the top

Old 06-30-2011, 07:47 AM
Vincent997S is infamous around these parts
FABSPEED make that

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old 01-24-2014, 10:17 AM
bradmd is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Nexus-6
If you unplug the vacuum line only, the valve in the resonator will remain OPEN, not closed, and you will get the opposite of the desired effect.

You can bypass the resonator vacuum distributor control solenoid and plug the incoming source vacuum line directly into the vacuum line running to the resonator valve itself. The easiest way to accomplish this is to unclip the distributor solenoid from the airbox (it's the small gray solenoid on the back of the airbox). Then, remove the rubber vacuum elbow where it connects to this gray valve. Gently remove the small hard line on the other side of the valve from the rubber vacuum connector (the larger rubber connector -the hard line is the small, thin hard vacuum line running horizontal behind the box to the actual resonator valve). Firmly install the hard line in the rubber elbow that supplies vacuum and voila.

For those who don't know, this vacuum source on our cars is constant, provided by a dedicated vacuum pump that works at all times to provide on demand vacuum for various applications including the PSE valves, the resonator valve and so forth. I've not seen an instance yet where this vacuum source is interrupted so this would keep the resonator valve closed at all times.
Is this true?