997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Stock Exhaust Help?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 01:54 PM
golfman1 is infamous around these parts
Stock Exhaust Help?

Is the 997 and 997s stock exhaust system any different. Not talking about the pse system. Just stock. I think the outlet flange to the tips is different (smaller) on the 997 and if so would that effect Horsepower.

Old 10-24-2006, 05:05 PM
JCS
JCS is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by golfman1
Is the 997 and 997s stock exhaust system any different. Not talking about the pse system. Just stock. I think the outlet flange to the tips is different (smaller) on the 997 and if so would that effect Horsepower.

They have different engines.That could be one reason why the exhaust pipe sizes are different .
Normally aspirated engines require a certain amount of backpressure to deliver optimum power( torque) throughout the operating range .
The pressures thru the intake and exhaust system are part of the equasion.

If backpressure is reduced , you may gain a few extra HP at 6500 RPM and above, but may lose torque in the lower and midrange area.
That may be OK if you go racing, but less desirable for everyday driving .

Old 10-24-2006, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by JCS
They have different engines.That could be one reason why the exhaust pipe sizes are different .
Normally aspirated engines require a certain amount of backpressure to deliver optimum power( torque) throughout the operating range .
The pressures thru the intake and exhaust system are part of the equasion.

If backpressure is reduced , you may gain a few extra HP at 6500 RPM and above, but may lose torque in the lower and midrange area.
That may be OK if you go racing, but less desirable for everyday driving .
So a smaller tube would increase backpressure. Even though we are talking about the outlet flanges. Wouldn't the pressure be made in the mufflers themselves. The size difference between the two pipes is about a 1/4 of an inch. I wonder if that would effect HP. Fabspeed says on their website that porsche did this to stop carrera owners from installing carrera s tips. Which could be true. I talked to a dealer and the chrome version of stock tips on a carrera costs more that chrome tips on an carrera s. Weird I thought.

Old 10-28-2006, 12:18 PM
JCS
So a smaller tube would increase backpressure. Even though we are talking about the outlet flanges. Wouldn't the pressure be made in the mufflers themselves. The size difference between the two pipes is about a 1/4 of an inch. I wonder if that would effect HP. Fabspeed says on their website that porsche did this to stop carrera owners from installing carrera s tips. Which could be true. I talked to a dealer and the chrome version of stock tips on a carrera costs more that chrome tips on an carrera s. Weird I thought.

The exhaust pipes are welded to the mufflers, there are no outlet flanges.
The tips slide over the end of the exhaust pipes and are fastened by tightening a clamp.
I don't know if the 997 S and 997 mufflers are the same, but I believe the headers are different and the 997 mufflers have smaller exhaust pipes.

Old 10-28-2006, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by JCS
The exhaust pipes are welded to the mufflers, there are no outlet flanges.
The tips slide over the end of the exhaust pipes and are fastened by tightening a clamp.
I don't know if the 997 S and 997 mufflers are the same, but I believe the headers are different and the 997 mufflers have smaller exhaust pipes.
The outlet flange I refer to is the exhaust pipes out of the muflers. They are smaller on a 997. The 997s is bigger so 997 customers can't use 997s tips. Porsche wanting to make more money by selling more tips. I posted this question because I ordered a fabspeed exhaust and my stock 997s tips were to big to fit it. I measured the pipe and the diameter is 2.25" which is what fabspeed says it should be but my tips are to big. I thought they might have sent me a 997 version of their exhaust. That is why I wanted to know if they were different sizes.

Old 10-29-2006, 11:20 AM
JCS
The outlet flange I refer to is the exhaust pipes out of the muflers. They are smaller on a 997. The 997s is bigger so 997 customers can't use 997s tips. Porsche wanting to make more money by selling more tips. I posted this question because I ordered a fabspeed exhaust and my stock 997s tips were to big to fit it. I measured the pipe and the diameter is 2.25" which is what fabspeed says it should be but my tips are to big. I thought they might have sent me a 997 version of their exhaust. That is why I wanted to know if they were different sizes.

I don't understand why you accuse Porsche of trying to make extra money by selling more tips .
They gave you a set for free with the car and I'm pretty sure did not assure you that they would be compatible with some aftermarket mufflers.

Why not ask the people who sold you the stuff and see what they say ?

One more thing . If they can't or won't help ,talk to the " sharkster " on this forum ( see "got 997 S tips" )
He is going to try to adapt them to a 996 and may be able to help you out .

Last edited by JCS; 10-29-2006 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:51 PM
I am not accusing anyone. Stating the facts. Porsche did this to sell the chrome tips on their 997 exhaust for more money than the chrome s tips for the 997s. Check it out with a dealer. You will see I am right. The tips they gave me were not free by the way. They were part of the car cost.

If you price the chrome versions of stock versions of tips you will see the cost is higher for the standard 997 tips.

The aftermarket exhaust is supposed to fit these tips. I posted this because they did a recall in 05 and early 06 and thought maybe after that they changed the tip diameter after the recall.

Old 10-30-2006, 08:31 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
I looked under my 997S, which has Fabspeed mufflers on it with the stock 997S tips. I had Reeves Porsche put the mufflers on at time of delivery. My stock 997S tips are spot welded on and not screwed on. I never knew this but have not asked Reeves about it. I was thinking of going with the Fabspeed chrome tips but now I have to drop the mufflers and get the Dremel Tool out to break the welds. I wonder why Reeves welded the tips on or maybe they just used the stock pipe from the stock muffler in place of the Fabspeed muffler end pipe and the Porsche factory welds the tips on?

Old 10-30-2006, 08:51 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mdrums
I wonder why Reeves welded the tips on or maybe they just used the stock pipe from the stock muffler in place of the Fabspeed muffler end pipe and the Porsche factory welds the tips on?
or maybe the diameter of your tips is larger than the fabspeed equipment and that's what reeves did to keep your tips from falling off

i wouldn't be suprised if fabspeed assumes they will sell mufflers to 10 non "S" customers for every "S" customer, so they designed the piping to fit the non "S" tips leaving the "S" customers to do some slight modding. wow, that was a run on sentence. it would be interesting to see what fabspeed says.

the 996 tips are held on with bolts.

there is a fixed short pipe coming out of the muffler. attached to that by a moveable joint is another short pipe. and attached to that, via a bolt, is the tip. as much as i hate this design as it's a complete pain in the *** to adjust the pipes and tips, i would be surprised if porsche changed the design.

Old 10-30-2006, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by mdrums
I looked under my 997S, which has Fabspeed mufflers on it with the stock 997S tips. I had Reeves Porsche put the mufflers on at time of delivery. My stock 997S tips are spot welded on and not screwed on. I never knew this but have not asked Reeves about it. I was thinking of going with the Fabspeed chrome tips but now I have to drop the mufflers and get the Dremel Tool out to break the welds. I wonder why Reeves welded the tips on or maybe they just used the stock pipe from the stock muffler in place of the Fabspeed muffler end pipe and the Porsche factory welds the tips on?
Fabspeed told reeves when they inquired about my tips being to big, to use a pipe expander to make the diameter of the pipe a little bigger at the end. They told reeves any good machine shop would have one. I think dog is right maybe all fabspeed exhaust are for non s customers. If that is so then the diameter of all fabspeed muffler pipes would be to small to fit the stock tips. Maybe fabspeed uses a pipe expander on the muffler ends for S customer orders and they just forget to do it sometimes.

Last edited by golfman1; 10-30-2006 at 09:12 AM.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:33 AM
JCS
Originally Posted by deputydog95
i wouldn't be suprised if fabspeed assumes they will sell mufflers to 10 non "S" customers for every "S" customer, so they designed the piping to fit the non "S" tips leaving the "S" customers to do some slight modding. wow, that was a run on sentence. it would be interesting to see what fabspeed says.

the 996 tips are held on with bolts.

there is a fixed short pipe coming out of the muffler. attached to that by a moveable joint is another short pipe. and attached to that, via a bolt, is the tip. as much as i hate this design as it's a complete pain in the *** to adjust the pipes and tips, i would be surprised if porsche changed the design.

Regarding Fabspeed, what do you expect from someone who sells mufflers out of his driveway (or at least did until a few months ago) Lol

The 997 exhaust pipes to and from the mufflers are fixed ( non adjustable)
so I guess they changed the design.
The tips slide over the pipe ends and fastened with a clamp.

Old 10-30-2006, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by JCS
Regarding Fabspeed, what do you expect from someone who sells mufflers out of his driveway (or at least did until a few months ago) Lol

The 997 exhaust pipes to and from the mufflers are fixed ( non adjustable)
so I guess they changed the design.
The tips slide over the pipe ends and fastened with a clamp.
I guess you really don't like fabspeed mufflers based on your response. Alot of good designs have come from a garage. Just ask steve jobs that is were he designed the apple computer. lol

I think he did ok out of his garage. I built my company out of my bedroom years ago. I don't think were you start your company has much to do with the product. If the product is any good that is all that matters. Now the big question becomes is their product any good.

Old 10-30-2006, 12:51 PM
JCS
I guess you really don't like fabspeed mufflers based on your response. Alot of good designs have come from a garage. Just ask steve jobs that is were he designed the apple computer. lol

I think he did ok out of his garage. I built my company out of my bedroom years ago. I don't think were you start your company has much to do with the product. If the product is any good that is all that matters. Now the big question becomes is their product any good.

Good point. Lol

But you should add that a lot of JUNK also originated there.

The difference is that Steve did not claim his invention performed better than a Supercomputer .

I have no problem with aftermarket mufflers or other equipment for that matter. There is some very good quality out there .
I do have an issue when someone makes ridiculous performance gain claims ( without any guarantees ) and offers lifetime warranties which probably are not worth the paper they are written on .

Speaking of Fabspeed . How did they resolve your problem with the tips ?

Old 10-30-2006, 05:03 PM
Well I agree with you. I don't want BS claims either. Fabspeed did nothing. The dealer fixed it by putting a crush washer around the exhaust pipes to clamp the tips too. I think all the fabspeed exhaust pipes are made for NON S 997. They probably use a pipe extender on the end to make them a little bigger to fit S tips when they know it is an S order they are shipping. This is just a guess on my part based on the fact they told the dealer when they called to do this to fix the problem.