997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997s Awe Exhaust Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 04:25 PM
Banned
Crod is a jewel in the roughCrod is a jewel in the roughCrod is a jewel in the rough
997s Awe Exhaust Install

I've done lots of work on all my cars and I just got my full AWE exhaust. I was wondering if anyone here has done this themselves and if they have any pointers or suggestions for certain or specality tools I might need to get the job done easier. I'll be pulling the entire stock exhaust and installing new headers, mufflers and high flow cats. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-13-2006, 06:57 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
crod it's pretty easy really. if you have done exhausts before it's standard routine.. spray the nuts/bolts down with liquid wrench etc.. use anti sieze on the way back and just be safe. The bolts you need to remove are all very visable and it's just like on a 996. I'm sure there are DIYs out there on renntech.org.

Old 12-13-2006, 08:47 PM
Banned
Crod is a jewel in the roughCrod is a jewel in the roughCrod is a jewel in the rough
Thanks Alex - I just did the mufflers...took me all of 45 mins
Now I need to get an exhaust manifold gasket kit for the headers and I'll be all set. I was told it's ok to re-use the header bolts - is that correct ? Also, what the is factory spec torque on the header bolts ? Don't wanna strip the threading on an aluminum block

Old 12-13-2006, 08:50 PM
StrtSwpr996 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Crod
Now I need to get an exhaust manifold gasket kit for the headers and I'll be all set. I was told it's ok to re-use the header bolts - is that correct ? Also, what the is factory spec torque on the header bolts ? Don't wanna strip the threading on an aluminum block
Nice, let us know how the install goes and how it sounds, hopefully some vids
Also let me know how easy the header install is, I am thinking about getting some for my 997S and doing it myself if its not to complicated.

Old 12-13-2006, 09:03 PM
Car_Collector is infamous around these parts
Never got a sound clip to my email.

Old 12-13-2006, 09:04 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Crod
Aye not too hard- usually AWE send out the exhaust manifold gaskets with the kit? At least they do for me.. and a lollipop too

You can re-use the header bolts but be fore-warned they are pretty ****-poor quality and James usualy uses much better ones. On 996s they get rusted up pretty nicely and then break off. Nice eh?

On the tq specs.. I don't remember off-hand the exact amount and James is home for the day. Since they're M8 though the most I'd go is 17-18foot pounds...

Old 12-13-2006, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by Car_Collector
Never got a sound clip to my email.
Really??? Does your Email allow for big files? I sent you one.

At worst you can always check the AWE site for clips.

Old 09-22-2007, 09:01 PM
notquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud ofnotquitefob has much to be proud of
are there a DIY that someone can PM me ? I'm looking to swapping in some legal cats before doing a smog to get a car passed in california.

thanks

Old 09-23-2007, 12:43 AM
Andre5 is infamous around these partsAndre5 is infamous around these parts
There's a DIY thread on the 996 forum of renntech.org. You have to be a contributing member to view it though.