997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Dension Issues.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 11:50 PM
bdam1 is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by AP Boxstr
I installed my Dension Gateway 500 on Sunday in my 2005 997S (no changer). The installed has everything hidden in the trunk (velcro'd on top of the NAV and PCM box) went really smooth and the IPOD was recognized after I went through a power up/down sequence. Tapped into the CDC cable for +/- 12 volts. The 'hardest' part was removing the optic cable from the NAV unit; not very much room for my clumsy hands to work. it took a couple of hours since I wasn't in much of a hurry. I have all the issues previously noted regarding 'loading' and no artists list, etc.

I did notice that the track number max's out at 50 even though there are 100's of tracks in the IPOD playlist. Is this typical? I really don't care since I usually play the full IPOD in random mode anyway.

I suspect I have v1.0 F/W. I plan to wait for you test mules to validate v1.05 before I download it.

Thanks to all the info threads for making the install pretty easy and understanding the 'querks'. The Dension UI is not very intuitive but once you figure things out it'll do.

---------------

Glad things went well.....I warned you about that fiber though!! The 0 tracks is normal...you then should just see a prompt for the "next" page...the system will go to this page automatically, but that is your manual prompt, if needed.

Old 03-28-2007, 02:50 AM
JohnnyD is infamous around these parts
Tried firmware 1.05, installed it, Ipod showed 1.05 but PCM didn't think I had a CD changer hooked up anymore. Tried flipping the mode switch 3 times multiple times and still nothing. Cycled power various ways, nothing.

Switched back to firmware 1.0 and it's working again.

Hoped to see this firmware remember the selection of random and whatever playlist when ignition is cycled but it was not to be.

Hopefully next time around...

Old 03-28-2007, 03:03 AM
mishref is infamous around these parts
I didn't have that issue with 1.05 .. I did lose the ability to enter config mode tho.

Old 03-28-2007, 03:26 AM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
Eric, I Installed the release version of 1.05 today, unfortunately it suffers from the same loading problem as all the previous versions.

This is what the update txt says:

Bug fixes:
---------
- Porsche PCM: Loading message always stuck in Track List menu. We made some efforts
for fixing this bud but result is not yet known. Any feedback is welcome!

Old 03-28-2007, 03:26 AM
bdam1 is infamous around these parts
Eric....If someone can send me the 1.00 firmware (bdam1@***.net) I'll try the 1.05.

Old 03-28-2007, 03:30 AM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
sent........

Originally Posted by bdam1
Eric....If someone can send me the 1.00 firmware (bdam1@***.net) I'll try the 1.05.

Old 03-29-2007, 04:04 AM
da duke is infamous around these parts
eric

what firmware did you ship with your bulk buy?

My order from you is sitting on my garage bench. I am too scared to even start after reading all of the above!

Old 03-29-2007, 08:30 AM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
I think Eric shipped version 1.0. I have that one and it works ok. I am not switching until all the bugs are out....whenever that may be. And desion waited so long to come to market saying there were gonna fix all the bugs first. Oh well.

Old 03-29-2007, 09:07 AM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
All of our first units went out with 1.00. 1.05 is working flawlessly in an '04 Cayenne right now for testing, while a 997 is lined up for later this week.

For the record, the Dension unit has been far less buggy than the Nav-tv crap that hit the streets last year. And Dension is working long hours to get the codes updated, add more features, and add more vehicles. Bluetooth is just around the corner as well.

Some tips to try for those having trouble, that seem to be relatively common:

1) Try a reset on the Ipod itself. Pressing Menu and the middle button will reset the Ipod (will not erase any thing in the content of the Ipod) (See owner's guide for details)

2) Then a RESET can be done on the Gateway 500 unit. Located on top of the AUX switcher, there is a pin hole to reset the GW unit. (See owner's guide for details)

3) Inspect the Ipod cable to see if connection is fine or not damaged.

4) Disconnect the power and the MOST optical system from the Dension wait 5 minutes and reconnect everything. Then plug the Ipod in and wait until the message "Caution do not use bla bla bla".

Last edited by Eric (Plug Guy); 03-29-2007 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:05 AM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
It seems to me that Dension's software/firmware development & testing capabilities are not quite up to typical industry standards. If they have to rely on the user community to do their development testing and subsequent debug maybe they should devote more resources to that rather then developing new applications (Bluetooth) and more vehicle types.

Maybe we should get some form of compensation for doing work that clearly Dension should be doing. If there were other products to choose from I'm sure Dension would be in a world of hurt.

I'm 'happy' just having a big jukebox in my car. I don't plan to do a whole lot of artist, song, track, etc selection so not having those 'advertised' features doesn't give me cause for much concern. I simply select CD #5 (all playlists) in random mode and drive away.

Just my two (2) cents worth.

Old 03-29-2007, 11:59 AM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
AP....your check is in the mail.

Old 03-29-2007, 03:58 PM
gravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond repute
AP is actually 100% correct. This kind of model only works in the consumer market, as people will put up with flaws and "field testing" whereas businesses would not.

Were this sold through a retail channel (Best Buy, for instance) where the retailer had to deal with angry customers, it would most assuredly fail as well.

Mine has been sitting in the box for roughly a month now as I wait for the bugs to be discovered, documented, and (hopefully) fixed.

Last edited by gravedgr; 03-29-2007 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:20 PM
Former Vendor
Don’t be afraid to install. It can be pulled back out if there are that many issues. But with over 200 units installed, we’ve seen about a dozen issues overall. The majority (90+%) have gone smoothly, or been remedied easily. It’s not a bad product at all, and was heavily tested prior to release. Keep in mind the MOST system is quite complicated, which is why you don't see 20 different products to integrate the iPod to the system. And have you ever seen how many recalls car mfrs have from time to time?

Many issues have actually been related to installation errors, programming errors, iPods not being updated, etc. Other issues for Dension have included Porsche being unclear with how the vehicles were wired for specific years/models. Because Dension made the units field-software-upgradable, the majority of issues are resolved as software is updated, and Dension is aware of various problems, doing everything they can to incorporate any fixes into the next version of firmware.

Granted, some folks have experienced more than their share of problems, and Dension is working on each, and we are doing everything we can as well.

Thanks.

Last edited by Eric (Plug Guy); 03-29-2007 at 04:24 PM.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:41 PM
I have the unit installed .. and frankly I love it.

I would much rather a a semi-faulty unit that works (most of the time). Than to have vaporware sitting over at dension undergoing endless testing. I have personally been waiting for this product since it was announced in 2005..

Are we Guinea Pigs .. ? Yes we are.

However, having 200+ testers allows for the product to eventually become stable (through testing/tuning). And we are dealing with a product that has no other competitors .. its either this or FM modulators. Kudos to Dension and Eric for their support and allowing me to have (cd-quality) ipod connection in my car.

Old 03-29-2007, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by gravedgr
Mine has been sitting in the box for roughly a month now as I wait for the bugs to be discovered, documented, and (hopefully) fixed.
You should hook it up and try it out .. The install is fairly straight forward (it took me a total of 20 minutes); and everything is replacable. The unit does what it is supposed to for the most part.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dension Issues.