997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Dension Issues.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 05:55 PM
larrytrk is infamous around these parts
I agree, don't condemn until you've tried, you may be pleasently surprised!

Old 03-30-2007, 12:22 AM
JohnnyD is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by AP Boxstr
I'm 'happy' just having a big jukebox in my car. I don't plan to do a whole lot of artist, song, track, etc selection so not having those 'advertised' features doesn't give me cause for much concern. I simply select CD #5 (all playlists) in random mode and drive away.
Does your application remember what settings it was on when you turn off/on the car? Mine forgets the random selection and also sticks to the album it was playing on not the entire Ipod. This means I always have to select album 5 and then random whenever I start the car. Getting a little tired of it.

Old 03-30-2007, 09:45 AM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by JohnnyD
Does your application remember what settings it was on when you turn off/on the car? Mine forgets the random selection and also sticks to the album it was playing on not the entire Ipod. This means I always have to select album 5 and then random whenever I start the car. Getting a little tired of it.

Ditto . . . Behaves exactly like mine. It doesn't remember the last settings prior to power down. That should have been pretty simple for Dension's crack development team to implement. Now that I'm familar w/ the UI process it's automatic regarding setting it to 'random mode' upon start up. I typically play 'Album 5' anyway so it's no problem starting up in that mode.

Is your 'Jog Dial' on your PCM enabled? In otherwords can you simply turn the dial to 'thumb' through tracks, albums or CDs (ie 1 - 5)?

Old 03-30-2007, 11:34 AM
JohnnyD is infamous around these parts
AP Boxer,

I do the same as you, because I have to fiddle with it each time I start the car, I've pretty much become a Jedi controlling the thing!

Old 03-30-2007, 02:27 PM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
Question Configuration Settings

Although my Gateway is installed and working (pretty much) I can't seem to invoke the configuration screen. I did it when I initially installed the Gateway but now no matter how quickly or slowly I toggle the Gateway/Bypass switch the config menu doesn't appear. I've reset it, powered it down/up still no config screen. I'm on the initial F/W (v1.0). Is there a 'techique' or special way to do toggle that switch up/down? I'm trying to invoke the 'Select Mode' since I think that will enable the toggle (PCM rotating ****) feature.

Also, when I bring up the Gateway menu (CD#6) how do I set an operation condition. In otherwords I want the IPOD to only charge during play or +2 hours after power down. I use the PCM disc < or > button and get to that feature. Once there how do I set it?

Thanks!

Old 03-30-2007, 03:45 PM
LaCayenne59 is infamous around these parts
So do we need the NAV unit to be able to install the Dension unit?

I have PCM and CD Changer installed in my car, but no Navigation, will I be able to install? Will I be able to do it myself or does this make for more complicated wiring?

Old 03-30-2007, 03:59 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Nav and non nav cars can use the Dension.

On our order page there is a link to the FAQ page on the Dension unit itself.

Feel free to browse.

Old 04-04-2007, 02:55 AM
bdam1 is infamous around these parts
Guys....some observations after playing round for a week or so. First, I have a 997 C2 cab w/ NAV but no CD changer...adjust acordingly.

I am using 1.00 firmware.

The key to getting the unit to respond with a CPM screen is getting the GW500 to accept the +select configuration. Once I achived this...the menu seletion in CD6 all worked with the selection-push **** on the PCM.

I put the unit in CONFIG mode...advanced it to +select and held the > key until the unit accepted and returned to the AM/FM mode. I then turned the head unit off...then back on and selected CD changer.

I then could go to CD6 and select ARTIST/ALBUM, etc and serch turning the selection ****, then pushing in the **** to select.

I also now see the Ipod actually charging when I look at it pluggd in. Previously...the Ipod would totally discharge and AUX would be the only option available.

I'll play with it some more and report back.

Eric...I think my "field" testing should be worth a set of clear side signals! (wink)
Brian

Old 04-04-2007, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by bdam1
Guys....some observations after playing round for a week or so. First, I have a 997 C2 cab w/ NAV but no CD changer...adjust acordingly.

I am using 1.00 firmware.

The key to getting the unit to respond with a CPM screen is getting the GW500 to accept the +select configuration. Once I achived this...the menu seletion in CD6 all worked with the selection-push **** on the PCM.

I put the unit in CONFIG mode...advanced it to +select and held the > key until the unit accepted and returned to the AM/FM mode. I then turned the head unit off...then back on and selected CD changer.

I then could go to CD6 and select ARTIST/ALBUM, etc and serch turning the selection ****, then pushing in the **** to select.

I also now see the Ipod actually charging when I look at it pluggd in. Previously...the Ipod would totally discharge and AUX would be the only option available.

I'll play with it some more and report back.

Eric...I think my "field" testing should be worth a set of clear side signals! (wink)
Brian
Brian,

Good work!

I've been trying to configure to +Select as well but can't seem to get that mode up. I've toggled the 'ByPass' switch the required (3) times but get nothing. I too am still on v1.00. Any tips on how to invoke the configuration menu using the 'ByPass' switch?

Thanks,

Arnie

Old 04-05-2007, 01:29 AM
bdam1 is infamous around these parts
Arnie...I just flipped the switch up-and-down three times.....doesn't always go into config...just keep trying!!

Old 04-06-2007, 01:16 PM
HWJunkie is infamous around these parts
I contacted Dension and here's what they said:

The only option currently available for your car is the Dension ice>Link FM Modulator. The difference between this and the radio specific iPod Kit is that you cannot control your iPod from your radio or steering wheel controls. But it does charge your iPod as the ice>Link Plus does.
I thought I read that they have the model that you can control it from the radio controls and the steering wheel buttons?

Also, did I see someone say that there's something to use a satellite with the factory radio?

Thanks!

Old 04-06-2007, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by HWJunkie
I contacted Dension and here's what they said:

The only option currently available for your car is the Dension ice>Link FM Modulator. The difference between this and the radio specific iPod Kit is that you cannot control your iPod from your radio or steering wheel controls. But it does charge your iPod as the ice>Link Plus does.
I thought I read that they have the model that you can control it from the radio controls and the steering wheel buttons?

Also, did I see someone say that there's something to use a satellite with the factory radio?

Thanks!

What was your original problem or question?

Old 04-06-2007, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by bdam1
Arnie...I just flipped the switch up-and-down three times.....doesn't always go into config...just keep trying!!
Brian,

I finally got into the 'Config Menu'. A few times toggleing the switch at different rates got it going.

Arnie

Old 04-06-2007, 04:51 PM
HWJunkie is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by larrytrk
What was your original problem or question?
I was just asking what I needed to buy to connect the iPod to the car and can I control it with the factory radio and steering wheel buttons....

That was the answer, but I thought I read that people were controlling it with the factory radio controls....

And I'm also interested in finding out if Sirius can be connected to the stock radio somehow...

Old 04-06-2007, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by HWJunkie
I was just asking what I needed to buy to connect the iPod to the car and can I control it with the factory radio and steering wheel buttons....

That was the answer, but I thought I read that people were controlling it with the factory radio controls....

And I'm also interested in finding out if Sirius can be connected to the stock radio somehow...
dension 500 is your answer for i-pod! Has Aux input to connect Sirius to ( but will not control through radio) you will need a separate expensive kit to show sirius functions through radio.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dension Issues.