997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Dension Issues.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 06:33 AM
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
I was on the list for the iPod group buy, but I think I am going with the satellite radio PCM unit instead - less to worry about.

Old 03-03-2007, 07:46 AM
TAnthony is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by aaronchanfilms
however try to see the tracklist for that playlist and be prepared to enter the never ending loading zone of eternity. Am I doing something wrong or is this bad software?
Did the Tracklist for Eminem ever load - at all?

The NavTV unit I had was definitely slow like that - like it had to spend extra time converting information or something. The lists did load though!

Old 03-03-2007, 07:48 AM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
I guess this is the best we are gonna get for now. Between the unit and the install this cost $730. A lot of money for something that doesn't live up to my expectations. Now I am afraid to update the FW if it is gonna get worse.

Aaron, your unit may be defective. You should think about returning it. That said, my unit went buggy a few times but not recently. But it is not like I use it for hours a day. My commute to work is 10 to 15 min at the longest.

Old 03-03-2007, 10:55 AM
TAnthony is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by neil.schneider
I guess this is the best we are gonna get for now. Between the unit and the install this cost $730. A lot of money for something that doesn't live up to my expectations. >>>>my unit went buggy a few times but not recently.
ERIC - Where are you? I spent over $800 on 2 units - and while I haven't installed them, I am concerned now - you have assured all of us that the wait was worth it because of all the additional testing and all the units have no more bugs?!?!?

What's up??

Could others who are having positive experiences add some posts?

Old 03-03-2007, 12:36 PM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
TAnthony - the Eminem tracklist never loads. Ive waited at least 10-15 minutes on a couple different occasions.

Neil - You're right, the dension box may be faulty. I never thought about that. If they dont have a firmware solution soon, maybe swapping boxes and giving that a try is the solution. Good call!

Old 03-03-2007, 01:25 PM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
It may be easier said than done if they are in short supply and given the response time of dension(which is in canada) it may prove to be near impossible. Still I have read through other forums that this application of the ipod is better than the BMW or mercedes. Theirs must be horrible. Again, you could just use the rca inputs, and control the unit with the ipod itself.

Originally Posted by aaronchanfilms
TAnthony - the Eminem tracklist never loads. Ive waited at least 10-15 minutes on a couple different occasions.

Neil - You're right, the dension box may be faulty. I never thought about that. If they dont have a firmware solution soon, maybe swapping boxes and giving that a try is the solution. Good call!

Old 03-03-2007, 01:35 PM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
Heh, that's funny... because I'm from Canada Maybe I should send some friends over to Dension HQ.

Originally Posted by neil.schneider
It may be easier said than done if they are in short supply and given the response time of dension(which is in canada) it may prove to be near impossible. Still I have read through other forums that this application of the ipod is better than the BMW or mercedes. Theirs must be horrible. Again, you could just use the rca inputs, and control the unit with the ipod itself.

Old 03-03-2007, 03:57 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Dension is headquartered in Hungary, not Canada.

Old 03-03-2007, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by Eric (Plug Guy)
Dension is headquartered in Hungary, not Canada.
Imported through canada?
Thanks for the clarification, now I KNOW we are in trouble.

Old 03-03-2007, 08:49 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
You guys are killing me.

Dension stands behind the product, and for what it's worth, we have over 200 units out, and have only heard of one dead unit, and one installation quirk that was resolved with one phone call.

These things DO work very well. Sure, there will be one or two issues here and there, but it will get resolved.

Neil, where did you buy the unit? Have you contacted them?

Aaron, Dension has your video and notes, will respond early next week.

Cheers.

Old 03-04-2007, 09:52 AM
Eric,
I wanted to get the unit with you, but I wasn't sure who would do the install. My local Porsche dealer said hey would not do it. So I found this guy Chris (enfig) who said he would drive to my house and put it in. I got it from him and then afterward found that Brandywine would do the install. By that time I already had the unit so I drove 50 minutes to brandywine Porsche for the install.

Don't get me wrong. The unit does work but it is querky so to speak. I have to do the FW upgrade, maybe that will help.

Old 03-04-2007, 03:35 PM
W211 is infamous around these parts
Ok, played around with my Dension 500 unit more.

I had the stuck loading bug happening to me only once.

The more annoying problem is the part where PCM/Dension does not recognize the iPod and goes into AUX mode. This happned a couple of times after unplugging and plugging the iPod. The solution is to do an iPod reset when the unit is plugged in.

So far, I find the Dension 500 unit better than the NavTV. The latter (mine was the fall 06 older version which is being sent back for an update) is much slower when waking, repeats the same track over and over again, and the song shown on PCM doesn't advance even finished playing.

I also find the Dension interface slightly more flexible easier to navigate once you get used to pressing and holding the fwd button.

Old 03-04-2007, 03:41 PM
WOW, nav-tv must suck.

Old 03-04-2007, 04:54 PM
rriva is infamous around these parts
I will have to ask the dealer to program the PCM for a CD Changer. (I do not have a changer) Tried to hook up the IceLink and it would not registered on the PCM.

Old 03-05-2007, 06:38 AM
larrytrk is infamous around these parts
There has been some success with resetting the PCM by turning it off, arming the alarm, and then turning the car on again after 5 minutes or so. This has been covered in previous posts and on Rennlist. This will reset the PCM to recognize the 500.
All should try this before a dealer visit. This is NOT in the manual!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dension Issues.