997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Dension Issues.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 08:11 PM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
sounds like you're having the exact same problems as I am.

I also wanted to get rid of the autoselect, I know exactly what you mean.

Originally Posted by Havoc'n'Hijinx
I also am having the loading issues and the triple switch on/off not working. I find that switching playlists and then switching back stops the loading problem.

I have uploaded the new firmware and that is when the triple switch reset stopped working. I have been wanting to change between +paging and +selecting to see if the autoselect would stop. I can't drive and constantly be moving the selecting button.

The joys of new technology...

Old 03-13-2007, 10:47 AM
TAnthony is infamous around these parts
My Dension Issues

Guinea Pig Install - 2006 Cayenne S with Nav

iPod - 5 Generation Video with 70GB = 20,000 songs....

Dension professionally installed $200

Working, but not working well enough to keep it installed unless Dension can come up with some answers to my issues (before I mess around with the Carrera, I wanted to see if this User Interface was any better than the NavTV I had installed in my old Cayenne - so far, the NavTV was better even though it was buggier on the recognition of the actual iPod being attached):

Primary Issues which I have sent to Eric and he is getting some responses from Dension:

1) SUBMENU SORTS UNDER CD6: Cannot access the functionality of any of the bracketed submenus under CD6 "Menu" - [ARTISTS] [ALBUMS] etc. Unit will recognize selection by showing it on the main audio screen, but NONE of the information under that menu loads - it reverts back to the song titles only - under the "Track List" I can only choose the bracketed submenus - not the Artists or Albums or any other submenu. Sometimes it gets stuck on "Loading" - but have let it go 10 minutes in hopes of the information actually loading, but it just doesn't.

Shouldn't I be able to sort by these different menus? Isn't that why they are there?

I have asked Dension to tell me whether there is a limit to the amount of data their box can handle reasonably well - will it take 4 days to load up 20,000 songs and all the attendant information for instance? Is 1,000 the max it can work with? Is my box just simply defective - I don't know.

2) CONFIGURATION: Cannot get the MOST to recognize selection from NOTEXT to +SELECTION or any other configuration. I can get into the menus from the triple flip of the Mode Selector, I can even choose the alternative configuration, but when I get back in, the MOST reverts back to NOTEXT.

3) USB: Cannot get the MOST to recognize folder structure on the USB drive (its actually a nice alternative - $150 USB to a $350 iPod at risk in glove) - primarily because as it notes on Page 8 of the manual, I cannot change the CONFIGURATION to anything but NOTEXT

4) iPod USER INTERFACE: I originally could not control using that submenu, but now I can - seems to work as indicated. But with install in the glove, this is not really very handy...

Anybody with shared experience and perhaps a workaround, solution or simply an acknowledgment of the issue would be great.

Are you just living with this or what?

UPDATE 11/13/2006 - ERIC IS SENDING ME A REPLACEMENT UNIT; DENSION HAS DETERMINED THAT THIS ONE IS DEFECTIVE. SOUNDS LIKE THERE ARE ONLY A FEW DEFECTIVE ONES SO HOPEFULLY MY NEXT ONE WILL WORK. I'M HOPEFUL ANYWAY....

Thanks - Tony

Last edited by TAnthony; 03-14-2007 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:50 AM
hjacobs2000 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by TAnthony
Guinea Pig Install - 2006 Cayenne S with Nav

iPod - 5 Generation Video with 70GB = 20,000 songs....

Dension professionally installed $200

Working, but not working well enough to keep it installed unless Dension can come up with some answers to my issues (before I mess around with the Carrera, I wanted to see if this User Interface was any better than the NavTV I had installed in my old Cayenne - so far, the NavTV was better even though it was buggier on the recognition of the actual iPod being attached):

Primary Issues which I have sent to Eric and he is getting some responses from Dension:

1) SUBMENU SORTS UNDER CD6: Cannot access the functionality of any of the bracketed submenus under CD6 "Menu" - [ARTISTS] [ALBUMS] etc. Unit will recognize selection by showing it on the main audio screen, but NONE of the information under that menu loads - it reverts back to the song titles only - under the "Track List" I can only choose the bracketed submenus - not the Artists or Albums or any other submenu. Sometimes it gets stuck on "Loading" - but have let it go 10 minutes in hopes of the information actually loading, but it just doesn't.

Shouldn't I be able to sort by these different menus? Isn't that why they are there?

I have asked Dension to tell me whether there is a limit to the amount of data their box can handle reasonably well - will it take 4 days to load up 20,000 songs and all the attendant information for instance? Is 1,000 the max it can work with? Is my box just simply defective - I don't know.

2) CONFIGURATION: Cannot get the MOST to recognize selection from NOTEXT to +SELECTION or any other configuration. I can get into the menus from the triple flip of the Mode Selector, I can even choose the alternative configuration, but when I get back in, the MOST reverts back to NOTEXT.

3) USB: Cannot get the MOST to recognize folder structure on the USB drive (its actually a nice alternative - $150 USB to a $350 iPod at risk in glove) - primarily because as it notes on Page 8 of the manual, I cannot change the CONFIGURATION to anything but NOTEXT

4) iPod USER INTERFACE: I originally could not control using that submenu, but now I can - seems to work as indicated. But with install in the glove, this is not really very handy...

Anybody with shared experience and perhaps a workaround, solution or simply an acknowledgment of the issue would be great.

Are you just living with this or what?

Thanks - Tony
TAnthony states it perfectly.

Specifically ...

Are we doing something wrong?

Old 03-13-2007, 12:21 PM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
Is there anyone that is 100% satisfiied with the Dension Gateway 500?

I'm on the fence regarding buying one due to all the 'customer dissatisfaction'. I want IPOD in my car but not all the issues that seem to surround the integration and functionality.

I just might stick w/ MP3 CDs until things smooth out a bit.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:39 PM
mishref is infamous around these parts
Tony,

It sounds like you might have defective unit .. I suggest you try flashing the firmware. I have tried the following (and they work): 4G 40gb ipod, 8gb Nano, 1gb flash drive and 80gb Hard Drive.

My gripes with the system is that sometimes I toggle the choice, other times only holding the -> button works. The system is a *bit* slow if you want to shift from certain songs and go through the menu.

I am personally satisfied with the product .. I can finally get my music in the car without burning a cd for every song. If dension doesn't sort out the little bugs; I can always put the ipod inside the car and use the AUX input to channel the audio.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by mishref
Tony,

POINT ONE: It sounds like you might have defective unit .. I suggest you try flashing the firmware.

POINT TWO: My gripes with the system is that sometimes I toggle the choice, other times only holding the -> button works. The system is a *bit* slow if you want to shift from certain songs and go through the menu.

POINT THREE: I can always put the ipod inside the car and use the AUX input to channel the audio.
Mishref - thanks for posting a satisfied customer Point of View!!

RESPONSE ONE: I think it is defective as well. I have been advised to stay with Firmware 1.00 and not go to 1.04 since the new firmware has new bugs.

RESPONSE TWO: I will attempt to use the > button on the number pad and see if that changes anything. I don't mind the slowness - mostly just like to choose by ARTIST and I cannot do that at all.

RESPONSE THREE: The AUX input is analog, and I would like to remain a digital delivery even though it IS the car!!

NEW POINT ONE: Can you please clarify as to whether you are able to select the submenus [ARTIST] or [ALBUM]? If you can, what comes up? Do the artists names come up under the Track List (where the submenus were previously) so you can scroll through them?

NEW POINT TWO: Are you able to change the CONFIGURATION (NOTEXT, +SELECT etc)?

NEW POINT THREE: Have you attempted a USB drive hookup?

Basically I want to know what SHOULD be happening to make sure I am doing this right.

Thanks - T

Old 03-13-2007, 04:36 PM
I would want to keep it digital too .. however, the aux input is still much better than using an FM tuner to input the ipod. I usually listen to podcasts in the morning .. I don't want to burn one cd for each morning.

Point one:
I can select any of the choices .. usually through the toggle button (if that doesn't work, I hold the -> button). I get artists name and a option called <search> which allows me to go through letters and then artist (e.g. I choose M, then I have a list of artists under M).. the same way as the track listing.

Point two:Yes, I go into the configuration menu (pushing the standby menu three times up/down); then I choose the option by holding down the -> key. The system reboots after each option I choose.

Point three: I have tried a couple of USB drives .. they all work flawlessly. CD1-4 goes to the first 4 folders with music in them (it ignores any non-music folders). CD5 gives me all songs on the harddrive, CD6 allows me to choose a specific folder on the hard drive. Flash drives load quickly .. harddrives take a minute or two to spin up.

Old 03-13-2007, 06:54 PM
bdam1 is infamous around these parts
I think I'm going to install my G500 in the trunk....easy access to fiber at both the amp and the NAV. I did a dry run this weekend....linked into the fiber, no problem. I'm a little wary of the power though...in looking for power to tap nto at both the amp and the NAV..it appeared that the pos/neg wires are a red/brown combination, as opposed to the traditional red/black. Can anyone clarify this for me?

Old 03-14-2007, 12:38 AM

I tapped into the spare CD changer cable since I don't have one..

Red/Green = 12v
Brown = Ground
White/Red = ?

Old 03-14-2007, 02:09 AM
bdam1 is infamous around these parts
good idea...I don't have a CD changer either....I'll have to look around for that plug!

Thanks Mishref

Old 03-14-2007, 10:26 AM
It sounds like there are only a handful of defective units out of the "Group Buy" - and of course all the ones that are working well wouldn't be posting here so its a one sided impression.

Eric is sending me a new unit as Dension has determined mine to be defective.

I am hopeful that I get a good one this time and will be screaming "BACK IN BLACK" at the top of my lungs (alone of course) in due course.

Old 03-14-2007, 12:30 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Tony your new unit is on the way. I've relayed everything to Dension and hope they might have more answers as time goes on.

Appreciate all the feedback, both good and bad, it just makes us better in trying to resolve.

Most of the problems to date were either installation issues (easily resolved) or firmware issues (not as easily resolved).

Dension knows they overwrote some code on the 1.04 firmware, and I'm promised the update will cover all of that. Going back to 1.00 should help in the meantime.

They are on it. I'm on it. I'll do whatever it takes to help resolve the issue for you, bud.

Thanks for your patience.

Old 03-14-2007, 10:38 PM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
Eric,
Any idea when the new fw will be available?

Originally Posted by Eric (Plug Guy)
Tony your new unit is on the way. I've relayed everything to Dension and hope they might have more answers as time goes on.

Appreciate all the feedback, both good and bad, it just makes us better in trying to resolve.

Most of the problems to date were either installation issues (easily resolved) or firmware issues (not as easily resolved).

Dension knows they overwrote some code on the 1.04 firmware, and I'm promised the update will cover all of that. Going back to 1.00 should help in the meantime.

They are on it. I'm on it. I'll do whatever it takes to help resolve the issue for you, bud.

Thanks for your patience.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:57 AM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by neil.schneider
Eric,
Any idea when the new fw will be available?
Should be within a week or two....

Old 03-15-2007, 10:23 PM
Havoc'n'Hijinx is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by aaronchanfilms
sounds like you're having the exact same problems as I am.

I also wanted to get rid of the autoselect, I know exactly what you mean.
Aaron,

Have you tried to go back to the older firmware to resolve the reset feature (moving the anolog switch back and forth three times)? I have not had time to try it.

Thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dension Issues.