997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Dension Issues.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 11:43 AM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Thought this might be helpful to some of you who have the units installed and working, but not quite as perfect as you expected.

After several 997/996 installs, we have found two things.

First, when you are trying to set some of the menu settings, for example, AUX IN, if your system freezes or locks up, and won't allow you to complete the menu prompts, other than to advance it to the next setting, UNPLUG the iPod unit from the system. That seems to resolve the issue.

Secondly, for those of you who had a cd changer, and installed the unit youselves, and found the unit to be working, but still not as fast as you'd like...

Once the unit is installed, it is likely to work much better if you reprogram the system using the Porsche system tester, to re-identify where each component is. For example, if the cd changer is at point #5 on the loop, and the Dension ends up at point #2 or point #7, it will still work (Dension) once the cdc is off the loop. BUT the functionality has been significantly improved on installs when we hooked the system tester to the vehicle and reprogrammed everything.

That's all for now. More to come.

Old 03-22-2007, 05:17 PM
TAnthony is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by bdam1
Still on firmware 1.00 and cannot access the CD 6 options (Artists, Album, etc) and the system stays on no-text, dispite changing at the config menu.
I had these SAME problems and Dension labelled mine defective.... got a substitute unit and will install next week. Firmware change will not help at this juncture as 1.04 created different problems - and I don't know if it solved the original ones you and I experienced.

Old 03-22-2007, 07:45 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
1.04 was not the answer. Everyone should go back to 1.00 (if you need it, just email me).

1.05 was ok, but just to add Audi and other models. New FW in a week or so should help. But 1.00 is recommended for all.

Old 03-24-2007, 02:56 AM
bdam1 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by TAnthony
I had these SAME problems and Dension labelled mine defective.... got a substitute unit and will install next week. Firmware change will not help at this juncture as 1.04 created different problems - and I don't know if it solved the original ones you and I experienced.
Thanks T,

Let' us know how the new unit works out....I may have to go back to Eric if that is the answer.

Old 03-24-2007, 11:55 PM
The replacement didn't work at all - wasn't even recognized by the system. It could be more of an issue with installers - but I am not sure since they did get it working the first time - going to give it one more try with different guys - once I get it working in the Cayenne, hopefully the Carrera will be a breeze....

Last edited by TAnthony; 03-25-2007 at 08:54 AM.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:00 AM
Red Blur Is a GOD !Red Blur Is a GOD !Red Blur Is a GOD !Red Blur Is a GOD !Red Blur Is a GOD !Red Blur Is a GOD !Red Blur Is a GOD !Red Blur Is a GOD !Red Blur Is a GOD !Red Blur Is a GOD !Red Blur Is a GOD !
Stupid question here considering I haven't even taken my out of the box yet. How do you update the software or install the FW on theses things? Thanks in advance.

Old 03-25-2007, 07:16 AM
Former Vendor
TA...it cannot be the unit twice. There is something wrong with the installation. Did the installer connect the PIWIS system tester and reset everything? Sounds like your installer is clueless. Really. Email me. There is likely a very simple fix that he's missing.

Did he CLOSE the fiber optic loop at the CD Changer? There is a special becker clip for that. Did he fully disconnect the CD Changer, or is it still powered up? The cd changer must be off the loop entirely, AND the fiber loop closed at that point, or nothing will work. It’s as simple as that. Then the PIWIS needs to be reconnected to the car and the system remapped so it will identify the units in the loop. Takes about 10 minutes.

The 997/Nav cars are the easiest to set up, BUT if he misses these simple steps, it will not work.

RB....software updates are done by thumb drive on the usb port on the unit itself. But stick with the firmware on there for now.

Last edited by Eric (Plug Guy); 03-25-2007 at 07:22 AM.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:29 AM
Eric,

I agree with you and think its more the installer than the unit. However, we thought the installer was not the problem on the first install because the unit did in fact work, it just didn't work correctly by letting me access the submenus for [ARTISTS] etc as I noted above.

One thing I did not mention was that the unit simply stopped being recognized by the PCM (I alluded to it in my post about the Ghost Firmware). The first unit simply stopped being recognized and then started turning on and off the PCM like a ghost - all by itself.

I never had a CD Changer in this Cayenne - only the NAV. I didn't think having the CD Changer was required - please let me know if otherwise.

I'm going to be in New Orleans for 5 days, so if its ok with you, I'd like to try a different installer. While I researched the ones who did these installs since they do all the work for the big dealers, I think they may be out of their depth - but again, I can't be sure because they did get the first unit to work.

I do have some faith left that I can get this installed in my Cayenne - and then when its working, go for the Carrerra.

If its OK with you, I'd like to hold onto the units till I can try this one more time - my last post was simply out of frustration....

T

Last edited by TAnthony; 03-25-2007 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:33 AM
Former Vendor
No sweat, TA...just keep me posted.

Old 03-27-2007, 05:40 PM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
Looks like there is a new firmware update.. the official 1.05 release. I'll install it today and report back!

Old 03-27-2007, 06:20 PM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
Thumbs up

I installed my Dension Gateway 500 on Sunday in my 2005 997S (no changer). The installed has everything hidden in the trunk (velcro'd on top of the NAV and PCM box) went really smooth and the IPOD was recognized after I went through a power up/down sequence. Tapped into the CDC cable for +/- 12 volts. The 'hardest' part was removing the optic cable from the NAV unit; not very much room for my clumsy hands to work. it took a couple of hours since I wasn't in much of a hurry. I have all the issues previously noted regarding 'loading' and no artists list, etc.

I did notice that the track number max's out at 50 even though there are 100's of tracks in the IPOD playlist. Is this typical? I really don't care since I usually play the full IPOD in random mode anyway.

I suspect I have v1.0 F/W. I plan to wait for you test mules to validate v1.05 before I download it.

Thanks to all the info threads for making the install pretty easy and understanding the 'querks'. The Dension UI is not very intuitive but once you figure things out it'll do.

Old 03-27-2007, 07:31 PM
Former Vendor
Although 1.05 is out, when we tested while still in beta there were issues... I'd hang on a bit longer with 1.00, but let's see how Aaron makes out.

Last edited by Eric (Plug Guy); 03-27-2007 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:37 PM
acf
acf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to beholdacf is a splendid one to behold
This is the email I got from Dension this morning.

Hi, please upgrade to the latest release of the FW (1.05) It has been just released, may it resolves your problem.
Thank you for your patience.
If you have got any further questions, please contact us again..
Best regards:
Dension Technical Support Europe
http://www.dension.com
http://support.dension.com

Old 03-27-2007, 09:39 PM
Former Vendor
AC...did you install yet?

Old 03-27-2007, 09:40 PM
acf
Not yet Eric, ill get home around midnight tonight and try it then. Will post the results!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dension Issues.