997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Has anyone installed a silver hood crest?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 06:46 PM
porschenut911 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Illinicane
I had the silver crest installed on the hood yesterday. Looks great!! I want to thank Raj (aka: crocrr) for giving me his silver crest.
Who's your dealer? Did they charge you for it? I'm interested.

Old 04-15-2007, 07:44 PM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
Did I hear that someone paid a dealer $75 to install a silver hood crest?

Jeez . . . I'd love to have that job. I've done a couple of them (my old 986S and my new 997S). The 'tough' part is getting the gasket to conform to the slightly larger crest. The 'secret' is to place the gasket in really hot water for 10 minutes or so. It then becomes really easy to get it to conform to the new crest. The other 'secret' is to use new 'stud nuts' (lol). That insures that the rubber sealer on the end of the nut is good and provides a positive seal.

Another hint is make sure that the silver badge is properly plated. I've seen a couple that the plating was poor and/or was contaminated during the process and started to flake/peel. You then end of w/ a silver and gold hood badge.

I'd love to install 10/day @ $75 a pop. I could do that in a couple of hours and spend the rest of the day going to the bank.

Old 04-16-2007, 02:38 AM
BigJ997 is infamous around these parts
I want one of those....Calling Newport Porsche now!

Old 04-16-2007, 08:56 AM
Illinicane is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by porschenut911
Who's your dealer? Did they charge you for it? I'm interested.
I had it installed at Napleton. I must admit, I paid more than $75 to have it done, but they did it, and did it well. With the clear bra, issues with the gasket, and the fact that I have no time to do this, forced me to take her in. All in all, it was WELL WORTH IT. Plus, since Raj kindly gave me his silver crest, my initial investment was "gratis".

I have always loved working on my cars. Whether it was changing the oil and filter, detailing it, etc. I just can not find the time, and have resorted to taking it where I want something done, and just enjoying the finished product. Perhaps I can go back to doing some work myself in the future.

Old 04-16-2007, 08:24 PM
hdsr09 is infamous around these parts
Does anyone know how much a Porsche dealer "should" charge for the front hood emblem install, as far as hours go? I would hope it isn't more than 1 hour...

I would rather have a bodyshop or preferably my Porsche dealer install it because:

1) If anything goes wrong, it is on them to fix it and make it right

2) It seems to be a b!tch to install the damn emblem...

Old 04-16-2007, 09:42 PM
lardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to all
2 10mm nuts about 30 seconds to install.

Last edited by lardog; 04-17-2007 at 05:12 PM.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:04 PM
porschenut911 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Illinicane
I had it installed at Napleton. I must admit, I paid more than $75 to have it done, but they did it, and did it well. With the clear bra, issues with the gasket, and the fact that I have no time to do this, forced me to take her in. All in all, it was WELL WORTH IT. Plus, since Raj kindly gave me his silver crest, my initial investment was "gratis".

I have always loved working on my cars. Whether it was changing the oil and filter, detailing it, etc. I just can not find the time, and have resorted to taking it where I want something done, and just enjoying the finished product. Perhaps I can go back to doing some work myself in the future.
Thanks, I got my car from them too. This will be my next mod!

Old 04-17-2007, 12:07 AM
TAnthony is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by lardog
2 10mm nuts about 30 seconds to install.
Mine took about a half an hour - and the gasket requires some stretching and tugging to get it to fit.

Now off to get the clear bra..... Found a chip this morning!!!!

AAARRRRRRGGGHHH

Old 04-17-2007, 08:00 AM
Illinicane is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by porschenut911
Thanks, I got my car from them too. This will be my next mod!
They are not the cheapest, but do excellent work, IMO.

I was charged for about an hour and a half. I do not think that gasket is quite so easy to install. Again, I had a clear bra too, and did not want to screw around with it.

Old 04-19-2007, 10:17 PM
icruze is infamous around these parts
I installed a silver crest on my 997S. It took about 10 minutes (not an exaggeration) and this was my first time. Extremely easy. I used a 5/16ths socket wrench to loosen and remove the two nuts that hold the crest in place. The crest pops out easily after you do this. The new crest fit the gasket easily. Then all you need to do is use the socket wrench to tighten the nuts back in place.

During the removal I tried to keep the hood level to make retrieval of the nuts easier. Having a clear bra on my car did not make the process any more difficult. I felt more at easy since there was less of a chance of damaging the paint

I can't believe Napelton's charged 1.5 hours for this.

Now if I could only find a silver crest to replace the one that's on the steering wheel....

Last edited by icruze; 04-19-2007 at 10:20 PM.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:23 PM
Help!

Ok Ive replaced the side markers with the clear (very nice) the axle caps with the silver and black (very nice) and now I want to swap the front badge...But, how the hell do you get the damn nuts off inside..I cant find anything that can get a grip on it to pull off ....I have a small socket that fits it, but cant get anything that will grip it to pull off...I know I can take it to the dealer but I like doing somethings myself....Any advice?

Old 04-24-2007, 09:58 PM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by BigJ997
Ok Ive replaced the side markers with the clear (very nice) the axle caps with the silver and black (very nice) and now I want to swap the front badge...But, how the hell do you get the damn nuts off inside..I cant find anything that can get a grip on it to pull off ....I have a small socket that fits it, but cant get anything that will grip it to pull off...I know I can take it to the dealer but I like doing somethings myself....Any advice?
I don't recall the size of the 'nut' but if you have a socket that fits in the circular opening that's half the battle. Just turn them counter-clockwise until they 'slip' off the badge studs. Sometime putting a little piece of tape or plumber's putty in the socket will keep the nuts captive. Also try to keep the hood level so if the nuts fall they'll fall out of the hole. If not you'll need to fish them out w/ a magnetic tooll. Don't forget to heat up the gasket if it's too small. I used really hot water.

If you live in the So. Bay area of L.A. I'd be happy to help.

Good Luck!

Last edited by AP 997S; 04-24-2007 at 11:48 PM.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:15 PM
icruze is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by BigJ997
As I mentioned in my previous post, I used 5/16th socket wrench. You just need to unscrew (not pull off) each nut (turning counter-clockwise). Just make sure that the socket is long enough to reach the nut and not bumping into the prong of the crest. You can test it on the uninstalled crest to make sure.

Old 04-25-2007, 03:36 AM
cool, will try in the morning...heated gasket confirmed...and yes I dont want to lose the nuts in the hood..I noticed that potential quickly...Will post pix if sucessful. thanks for the offer and deep south orange county but I appreciate the offer.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:13 PM
kfitz911 has a spectacular aura aboutkfitz911 has a spectacular aura about
That and the side markers are my next mods! Looks great!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Has anyone installed a silver hood crest?