997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

surprise: dad's new 997 S!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 02:59 PM
pilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nice
Originally Posted by crosvs
k here we go:

thanks guys... as for this "father" discussion which has spawned more of a response than i thought, you may be interested to know this background bit then:

a HUGE reason why my dad has always been so generous with me is because when HE was growing up, his father was VERY selfish with him. in fact, it was BECAUSE of that selfishness, apparently, that my dad went out and finally treated himself to the 996 last year and IMMEDIATELY allowed ME to drive it to my heart's content, and even take it to Thunderhill with him.

the story, as i was told, was that my dad's father used to have one of the original 911s back in the day (1950s?) and ... IF MY DAD WAS LUCKY, he would be "allowed to wash it" for his father.

hence my dad's 180* flip to be so generous with his only son, me.
Nice story...I understand you..my mother had the same situation when young! so she had a 180° flip as well

Old 03-21-2007, 04:26 PM
LABrit is a glorious beacon of lightLABrit is a glorious beacon of lightLABrit is a glorious beacon of lightLABrit is a glorious beacon of lightLABrit is a glorious beacon of light
haha, yeah, my dad never ceases to amaze me, esp when you consider he's 69 yrs old; an ex-marine; a phd; an ex lotus super 7 race car driver; and still wants to go do some more track events with me and drive circles 'round me

btw, as far as your decision on which car to get ... wow that is a VERY tough call.

i'm guessing it's not going to be your daily driver? if not, then i say go with either the 996 GT3 or Z06. If quality/prestige > raw performance, then go with GT3; and vice versa if performance > quality/prestige obviously.

also, i don't know if you're planning on doing a lot of track events, and if so, how accomplished a driver you are. have you driven a porsche before? if not, i think you'll find the z06 INFINITELY easier to drive than the GT3. that said, they're both designed to do one thing very well: go round a racing circuit very very quickly only real recurring criticism i've heard of the Z is that the steering is a bit vague and makes it kinda hard to listen to what the car's telling you at the limit. personally, that would really bother me, but then, i've never tried driving a Z before so i don't know from first hand experience.

i CAN say i couldn't stand the 996 at thunderhill ... it REALLY intimidated me. even during spirited mountain runs i didn't like how the 996 felt. the 997, so far, inspires FAR more confidence, which to me, is the trademark of a well-designed sports car.

seeing as how you're currently driving an S2K, i've never driven one, but i know they are FANTASTIC driver's cars, and really confidence inspiring (at least the later models). so that's something to consider too. also, if you're tall (6'4"+ like me) you will find the 996 interior TERRIBLY cramped. with a helmet on, i could not find a good seating position -- i finally had to make do with a compromise that i really didn't enjoy for track.

however, if it's going to be your daily driver, i say definitely go with the 997 S ... i cannot beLIEVE how amazing they are now that i've enjoyed over an hour behind the wheel of my dad's.

it is a RADICALLY different beast to the 996, 200% better in EVERY quantifiable (and qualifiable) way.

gluck, and lemme know how it goes!!

p.s. where in LA are you from? i'm often in westwood and beverly hills with my girl
Century City.

I have spent many hours in the 993, 996 and 997 as my closest relative has changed his cars over the years and taken all of them to the malibu canyons for spirited yet safe runs.

I have to test drive the cars in my sig once i move at the end of the month, repaint the front of my car, sell it then find a new one to replace it.

I would only buy a white gt3 (with under 8000 miles non tracked) / 997 's' and a black z06 at below invoice so i am not going to have an easy time finding whichever car i want.

Old 03-21-2007, 07:19 PM
crosvs is infamous around these parts
yes, this is going to be a tough one well best of luck, keep us posted!!

Old 03-21-2007, 07:33 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
i guess "odd" is that which is different from what one considers the norm. if it is "odd' to you, then yes, i suppose it IS odd.

but to more directly answer your question, i never thought twice about it: growing up with no siblings, i grew up in a very close-knit family. we never had individualized possessions: whatever my parents owned necessarily also belonged to me, and of course vice versa. and it continues to this day. i never once heard my parents say something to the effect of "no, that's mine, you can't use/eat/touch/play/have it."

so in fact when i say "my M3" i really mean "OUR" m3. same with my dad's porsche. or my mom's benz. or anything else in the family for that matter. perhaps it's the influence of my mom's persian culture? most (all?) of my persian friends and my persian gf would agree with how i've explained this.

and finally, i also listed them because they are -- for the foregoing reasons -- cars that i have regular access to and therefore regularly drive whenever i'm visiting them up here in Marin.

savvy?
i know what you mean man. the cars that we have in my family are also driven by me. my dad and i like to switch cars sometimes, but i dont feel the need to write them in my sig. thats awesome you guys are close, my family is the same way.

Old 03-21-2007, 09:16 PM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by LABrit
Century City.

I have spent many hours in the 993, 996 and 997 as my closest relative has changed his cars over the years and taken all of them to the malibu canyons for spirited yet safe runs.

I have to test drive the cars in my sig once i move at the end of the month, repaint the front of my car, sell it then find a new one to replace it.

I would only buy a white gt3 (with under 8000 miles non tracked) / 997 's' and a black z06 at below invoice so i am not going to have an easy time finding whichever car i want.
same here. One time i wanted to borrow his car to go to 7-11 and all i remember him saying take your own car. It wasn't so much what he said but the tone of the voice. I really felt like **** and told myself i would never do that to anyone. Although I do not have kids, i am like super nice to my nephews. What i learned from it was that what I don't want to be.

It was def. nice to hear your story. I wish you and your family the best. Enjoy the car in a good health.

Raja

Old 03-21-2007, 09:22 PM
sal
sal has a spectacular aura aboutsal has a spectacular aura about
I wish I got to drive my dad's cars. He's finally loosened up and let me drive his benz, which is HUGE for me... especially after only driving for a year. For my birthday I'm trying to get behind the wheel of the 997, who knows if he'll let me drive or not, but a guy can always hope.

Old 03-22-2007, 11:14 PM
Banned
911_997S is infamous around these parts
i guess "odd" is that which is different from what one considers the norm. if it is "odd' to you, then yes, i suppose it IS odd.

but to more directly answer your question, i never thought twice about it: growing up with no siblings, i grew up in a very close-knit family. we never had individualized possessions: whatever my parents owned necessarily also belonged to me, and of course vice versa. and it continues to this day. i never once heard my parents say something to the effect of "no, that's mine, you can't use/eat/touch/play/have it."

so in fact when i say "my M3" i really mean "OUR" m3. same with my dad's porsche. or my mom's benz. or anything else in the family for that matter. perhaps it's the influence of my mom's persian culture? most (all?) of my persian friends and my persian gf would agree with how i've explained this.

and finally, i also listed them because they are -- for the foregoing reasons -- cars that i have regular access to and therefore regularly drive whenever i'm visiting them up here in Marin.

savvy?
+1

my dad handed me the keys to his E500 (94) on my 16th bday (98) and said have fun (and be very careful ).

i have access to all my family's cars (e55 mom, ml500 dad, e46 m brother). as long as i know they dont need them, i can just grab the keys and bounce.
over the years ive also had access (whenever) to:
140 s500 (on 19in brabus wheels,hey, they were big back in 96 when we got em)
ml320+430+55
got an e36 m for my 17th bday, a year later (i destroyed the drivetrain in the m3) i got a 528, then after the lease ran out i got a 209 clk55 and now its a 997
220 s430

ive been really spoiled
nothing really exotic though

i guess its b/c we have a different culture , im armenian. i also live in bh btw, we should meet up for a nice mulholland run

Last edited by 911_997S; 03-22-2007 at 11:18 PM.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:48 AM
JoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud ofJoeyG has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by PorscheC4
i know what you mean man. the cars that we have in my family are also driven by me. my dad and i like to switch cars sometimes, but i dont feel the need to write them in my sig. thats awesome you guys are close, my family is the same way.
Word. Tough decision what to pick when we do switch though.

Congrats to the OP, enjoy the car!

Old 03-23-2007, 10:13 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
You've got a cool dad! My dad would have never bouhgt a car like that much less hand me the keys to go drive it. Congrat's and kudo's to your dad!

Old 03-23-2007, 12:33 PM
tblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond repute
You pay for it, it's yours...

Your Dad pays for it and you drive it, it's really not yours...

Savvy?

Congrats on the sweet car. Plus it is in the perfect color, black. You can get the car in any color you want, as long as it's black. Enjoy.

Old 03-23-2007, 02:56 PM
i guess its b/c we have a different culture , im armenian. i also live in bh btw, we should meet up for a nice mulholland run
cool bro i'm down!!

Old 03-23-2007, 02:58 PM
You pay for it, it's yours...

Your Dad pays for it and you drive it, it's really not yours...

Savvy?
Sure, if family possessions are based upon monetary contribution. But that's where our cultures differ, perhaps: by virtue of being "of the family," a thing is by definition owned by all members of the family, regardless of who actually put up the money for it.

Hence the expression, I guess, "what's yours is mine, what's mine is yours."

SAVVY?!?!?!

anyway thanks guys ..... hope to meet most of you at santana row on saturday

Old 03-23-2007, 03:01 PM
hm. and one other note:

the *MAIN* reason i put those cars in my sig -- besides the fact that i do regularly drive them -- is because it helps to show why i'm a member of a particular message board. For example, I'm also a member at mbworld.org and did so to get some answers on my mom's behalf for her E350 when she got it. I originally joined 6speedonline to represent my dad once he acquired his former 996 C4S, before he joined this forum on his own (birdhog). And then I acquired my M3, and hence my being even MORE active here on 6speedonline. being a former X5 owner and member of x5world.com, it was especially useful having those other cars in my sig, as many x5 owners are also P-car owners, ///M-car owners, etc.

i honestly thought it was the best way to find, meet, and talk to other members who have/drive the same cars.

ok that's all

(sorry for the TTE, or 3TE, or "triple thread entry" lol)

Last edited by crosvs; 03-23-2007 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:58 PM
tblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond reputetblackj has a reputation beyond repute
Sure, if family possessions are based upon monetary contribution. But that's where our cultures differ, perhaps: by virtue of being "of the family," a thing is by definition owned by all members of the family, regardless of who actually put up the money for it.

Hence the expression, I guess, "what's yours is mine, what's mine is yours."

SAVVY?!?!?!

anyway thanks guys ..... hope to meet most of you at santana row on saturday
Hey Dude, whatever it takes to get extra cars in your sig...

Once again, congrats to your Dad on a sweet car and you guys enjoy it.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:35 PM
haha ok ok ........ but come on, at least i don't put cars that i USED to own in my sig lol ....... it's kinda like "oooooooooh look what i USED to have .... but no longer have" lol kinda like ........... check out these X-rated photos of my ex-gf, wasn't she hot?!?!?!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: surprise: dad's new 997 S!!