997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Denison install instructions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2007 | 08:12 AM
larrytrk is infamous around these parts
open all the FIOS connectors and push male/female cables together first, then close the holders. When we set my system up we didn't do this and nothing was recognized at first, by PCM. The manual shows pushing FIOS cables together, then closing holders. From the pictures they look like they may be not fully inserted in connectors!

Old 04-17-2007 | 08:50 AM
TAnthony is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mishref
From the directions you posted it seems that you have everything connected correctly. I would suggest the same thing .. disconnect the CD changer and see if that does anything. Or try taking the fiber loop from the NAV unit.

Since your IPOD says Dension 1.00 .. then the power install is correct.
1 - I figured I had the power right due to the Dension recognizing the iPod

2 - Before I got to this point, I had the CD changer out of the loop entirely and took the cable which was in the CDChanger, attached it to the Porsche kit female cable, but then couldn't figure out where to go from there. I turned on the PCM - but it said EVERYTHING was missing!!! HA! (its not doin that now, it recognizes that there is a CDChanger, just not the Dension).

If I take out the CDChanger, use the female Porsche kit cable, do I attach the ends of that cable to the Dension unit (observing light flow directions of course)?

3 - I'll try the Nav if I can't get the CDChanger loop to work.

Thanks for your help - will try this tonight after kids go to sleep!!

Old 04-17-2007 | 08:54 AM
Originally Posted by larrytrk
open all the FIOS connectors and push male/female cables together first, then close the holders. When we set my system up we didn't do this and nothing was recognized at first, by PCM. The manual shows pushing FIOS cables together, then closing holders. From the pictures they look like they may be not fully inserted in connectors!
When you say "they may not be fully inserted" - do you mean the inline male white ends (which look like little syringe plungers, the ones that had the purple caps) not being fully inserted into the "connector" with the snap down sleeve? (I am referring to the cable in the Second Photo labelled "Optic Cables" on the RIGHT side...)

Or do you mean the white plungers from the Dension box into the snap down sleeve on the Porsche kit cables? (I am referring to the cables in the Second Photo labelled "Optic Cables" on the LEFT side...)

Thanks for checking this out....

Last edited by TAnthony; 04-17-2007 at 08:58 AM.
Old 04-17-2007 | 09:01 AM
What's involved if you do NOT want to do a trunk install.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/3388999...7594533693174/
For those of you who have been using the Dension in the trunk, accessibility is an issue for resetting the device. How often have you had to reset the device while driving? Obviously getting in and out of the car to reset is a real pain and perhaps glove mounting is preferred if the iPod needs to be connected/reconnected often?

Old 04-17-2007 | 09:03 AM
Removal Of Cd Changer Bracket

I can't get the bracket off the firewall - there seems to be some kind of clip system which LOCKS it in place - no screws or bolts.....

Any solutions?

I'm not talking about the 10mm bolts which hold the legs.... but the back

Old 04-17-2007 | 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by TAnthony
When you say "they may not be fully inserted" - do you mean the inline male white ends (which look like little syringe plungers, the ones that had the purple caps) not being fully inserted into the "connector" with the snap down sleeve? (I am referring to the cable in the Second Photo labelled "Optic Cables" on the RIGHT side...)

Or do you mean the white plungers from the Dension box into the snap down sleeve on the Porsche kit cables? (I am referring to the cables in the Second Photo labelled "Optic Cables" on the LEFT side...)

Thanks for checking this out....
Check all of them out! EspeciallY the ones to the dension.
You can check light path at each connection, just to see bright light.
Failing this you can try, Unpluging electric to CD Changer see if pass thru is ok. ( I don't know if this is ok normally)
Bypass CD Changer FIOS and just go directly to Dension, see if it works.
Make sure to reset PCM each time!
good luck!!

Old 04-17-2007 | 12:19 PM
1 - Check all of them out! EspeciallY the ones to the dension.
2 - You can check light path at each connection, just to see bright light.
3 - Failing this you can try, Unpluging electric to CD Changer see if pass thru is ok. ( I don't know if this is ok normally)
4 - Bypass CD Changer FIOS and just go directly to Dension, see if it works.
5 -Make sure to reset PCM each time!
good luck!!
1 - Ok - but from the photos, do they look like I have connected them properly - I didn't want to push them too hard into the housing sleeve

2 - I will look for the red light as well - I saw the red light in the Dension unit through the red plastic where the opticals go in and out

3 - I unplugged the CD Changer electric and the PCM didn't recognize ANYTHING anymore - not the Nav, Amplifier, CDChanger!!

4 - I tried this as well, it doesn't work that way

5 - How do I "reset" the PCM? Just turn off the car, shut all the compartments, set security, and wait 10 mins like noted in an earlier post by WinterNJ??

Old 04-17-2007 | 12:36 PM
|
winternj is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by TAnthony
1 - Ok - but from the photos, do they look like I have connected them properly - I didn't want to push them too hard into the housing sleeve

2 - I will look for the red light as well - I saw the red light in the Dension unit through the red plastic where the opticals go in and out

3 - I unplugged the CD Changer electric and the PCM didn't recognize ANYTHING anymore - not the Nav, Amplifier, CDChanger!!

4 - I tried this as well, it doesn't work that way

5 - How do I "reset" the PCM? Just turn off the car, shut all the compartments, set security, and wait 10 mins like noted in an earlier post by WinterNJ??
You should not see any red light when everything is connected, if you see red light when it's connected, that means that connection is bad, or the fiber is broken at that point.

Also, make sure that the direction of the light goes as expected, lighted fiber should always be connected to dark fiber (lighted is transmit, dark is receive), if you have lighted to lighted, that means that you are transmitting to transmit, and breaking the chain. And yes, to reset the PCM you follow the instructions like I said.

I had a similar problem where the PCM noted an error where it didn't see the Nav and Amplifier. It seemed the cause was the dension unit timed out waiting for signal. After removing power from the dension and re-attaching power, then doing the PCM reset, it was all good.

Old 04-17-2007 | 02:07 PM
I was talking about seeing the red light thru the fiber TIP before each connection was made to check all the way down the line before you connect into and then out of Dension, till the last connection back into line!!
Also Restart the car, the Dension needs full 12volt power and sometimes sitting with engine off, as in my case, the unit didn't work until we restarted and got full power to the unit!!

Last edited by larrytrk; 04-17-2007 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-17-2007 | 03:09 PM
I got you on the lights....

I should leave the CDChanger power in the CD Changer right - otherwise it won't push the signal through....

Old 04-17-2007 | 03:33 PM
I guess so!!

Old 04-17-2007 | 03:39 PM
Make sure the FIOS goes into Dension BEFORE the CD Changer! That may make a difference!
In MOST chain from PCM to Dension to CD Changer to Nav, ect. Seems to work best from what I hear!

Last edited by larrytrk; 04-17-2007 at 03:41 PM.
Old 04-17-2007 | 04:49 PM
Havoc'n'Hijinx is infamous around these parts
You can leave the cd changer in the loop after the Dension unit. I still have power to the changer though and do not know if the loop is broken if you do not have power to it. Can someone else answer this?

If I turn off the dension unit using the aux switch I can use the cd changer.

Old 04-18-2007 | 10:17 PM
Thanks to all of those on the board that assisted with my C2 install - it FRIGGIN WORKS!!! - 80GB of music..... don't know if I'll own the car long enough to listen to it all!

I don't think the trunk install is going to provide maximum convenience and access. I think I'm going to have a real installer do the center console install because:

1) I can toggle over to the CD changer without pulling over
2) I can run the iPod user interface if for some reason the Dension interface is bothering me - basically, the UI on the Dension is "acceptable" but its not nearly ready for primetime - I could see using the iPod interface because it is that much faster.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated....

T

Old 06-12-2007 | 03:07 PM
david7979 is infamous around these parts
is it hard to run the ipod to the center console? I would prefer that way instead of trunk. I would like to have access to my ipod when I need to...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Denison install instructions?