997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Window Tint Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 12:35 PM
HWJunkie is infamous around these parts
My car has black interior and I don't know the percentage of tint I have but my tint guy said it was, limo dark on the back window, the next shade lighter on the back sides and the next shde lighter than that on the side windows...

Looks good to me!! Sometimes hard to see out the rear when backing up at night in a dark area, but not that big of a deal....

I live in Los Angeles / Ventura County and haven't been stopped (yet), but I don't drive the car that much, so we'll see... I did get a ticket in my last Mercedes... I also don't have a front license plate, and don't plan on puting one on

I couldn't get the picture to upload but i'll try again later

Old 04-14-2007, 01:01 PM
rightlook is infamous around these parts
Tint

TAnthony,

They will not have to remove any of the windows. In fact they won't have to remove the door panels either ( they do on some cars ). They should run the tint all the way to the window edge. My installer actually had a small file that he used to finish off the edge so that it is a perfect edge to edge tint. Really did a good job. Look for someone who has been tinting for a while and insist on a good clean job. I was not 100% happy with one of the windows and he was happy to re-do it. Call some of the more discrimiating auto places and ask for a referral. Call your dealer, other high end dealers, high end audio shops. Hope this helps. If it's a shop go and look at some of thier work. You want to look for a clean tint without small white dust specks where the tint is lifted.

--Stephen

Last edited by rightlook; 04-16-2007 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:32 PM
TAnthony is infamous around these parts
Stephen - Thanks for the information - have been getting the referrals today and they all point in pretty much the same direction....

Old 05-02-2007, 04:21 PM
mkaraoglan has a spectacular aura aboutmkaraoglan has a spectacular aura aboutmkaraoglan has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Gramicci101
I've got 5% all around, in the People's Republik of California for the last four years with no problems. Knock on wood. I love how dark it is and that nobody can see in. I can drive it at night with no problems.

I think tint really depends on how dark your car is. If you have a black or dark grey car, a lighter tint (20-50%) will look darker than it would on a light colored car.
so is percentage how much light it lets in? so 5% means its 95% dark?
do the 997s's come pretinted all around?
i heard about new thermal tints that are cler but kill heat/UV

Old 05-02-2007, 05:01 PM
crhait has a spectacular aura aboutcrhait has a spectacular aura aboutcrhait has a spectacular aura about

damn...this is a good looking car...color, stance, tint, not to forget, those wheels, they look great! How do you like them? I am considering them for my Targa.

Old 05-03-2007, 04:12 AM
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by crhait

damn...this is a good looking car...color, stance, tint, not to forget, those wheels, they look great! How do you like them? I am considering them for my Targa.
I love those wheels - I had them on my Evo, now on my Carrera S. They are extremely light (rears are 19x11 and 24 lbs) and strong as hell. The only downside is that they are a complete ***** to clean. Thanks for the comments...

Old 05-03-2007, 05:09 AM
Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !Gramicci101 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mkaraoglan
so is percentage how much light it lets in? so 5% means its 95% dark?
do the 997s's come pretinted all around?
i heard about new thermal tints that are cler but kill heat/UV
The % rating is how much light it lets in. So, 5% is 95% dark.

Old 05-03-2007, 07:44 AM
mkaraoglan has a spectacular aura aboutmkaraoglan has a spectacular aura aboutmkaraoglan has a spectacular aura about
thanks!
which wheels are those too? BBS's?

Old 05-03-2007, 08:16 AM
crhait has a spectacular aura aboutcrhait has a spectacular aura aboutcrhait has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
I love those wheels - I had them on my Evo, now on my Carrera S. They are extremely light (rears are 19x11 and 24 lbs) and strong as hell. The only downside is that they are a complete ***** to clean. Thanks for the comments...

if you don't mind...how so? don't look that bad, no bolts tight spaces,etc.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:10 PM
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by crhait
if you don't mind...how so? don't look that bad, no bolts tight spaces,etc.
They are BBS RS-GTs. They are a turd to clean because they have so many surfaces - the lip, the spokes, the rim face, etc. If I could do it all over again, I'd have PCCBs if only to avoid the brake dust. It literally takes me another 20 minutes after I wash the car just to do the wheels...

Old 05-03-2007, 04:31 PM
dndodd is infamous around these parts
PCCB's are great for the cleaning and not to mention the braking.

I have an Artic Silver and went with the lightest tint all around that blocked over 97% of the UV. Keeps it legal and cooler.

Old 05-03-2007, 06:38 PM
helothere has a spectacular aura abouthelothere has a spectacular aura about
my car has 15% all around except the windshield....
had it for about 3 months now but so far no problem in b*tchy socal......
also because my car's interior is black it looks darker than my friend's car with lighter interior color...
i think anywhere between 20~50% is okay...

Old 05-03-2007, 09:34 PM
SuperVixen is infamous around these parts
Just had mine tinted 15% and absolutely love it. One of my friends has 5% and he says he can't see anything at night. I can still see, but it's hard to make out details. Looks sinister though.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:41 PM
Duane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond reputeDuane996tt has a reputation beyond repute
Mine 75% all the way around. My last Pcar (993) was 50% but had less glass area to cover. I'd use the same tint all around. Using a lighter tint on the front windows only makes you look like a limo driver. The install was great. They did it at my house in about 1.5 hours. No removal of windows, just pulling the front door panels loose at the window edge. Let the car sit for two days to cure the tint and you won't have any problem. Don't clean the inside of the window for two weeks and always use window cleaner for tinted windows with cotton (not paper) towels.

Old 05-04-2007, 11:52 AM
who did you use and how much $?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Window Tint Thoughts?