997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Ranking the exhausts out there by "loudness"...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 11:26 PM
///996TTM3 is infamous around these parts
Bypass pipes! I have heard it in person and in some instances it sounds like a "rough" Ferrari (at a certain RPM) Makes me want to buy a 997 just for the pipes

Old 04-13-2007, 02:09 AM
Banned
911_997S is infamous around these parts
i put my muffler by pass pipes on (myself) when my car had less than 1000mi, now 7000mi later (& about 3.5 months), i do not regret it one bit. i got them used (for 1 day , was too loud) for $100. i live in a condo and most of my neighbors are >70yo, you just gotta watch the revs, if you keep it just above idle it sounds stock (kind of, sort of... ). on cold start up though, i swear little kids would run and hide, it aint no joke

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPKeyOQvAO4

Last edited by 911_997S; 04-13-2007 at 02:56 AM.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:11 AM
Banned
btw,
i will be adding 200cel cats and awe headers, im thinking of putting the cats right behind the headers and and then maybe 4in of pipe (or whatever it takes) or so and tips. anyone try this? i dont see the point of having a pipe maze under there.

Old 04-13-2007, 11:28 AM
1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold
Ron, changing you mind on "everyday aspects" for the AWE system????
Originally Posted by RonCT
The AWE system I have is actually louder than I'd like

Adding AWE headers and sport cats to a muffler by-pass pipe would be obnoxious and annoying after a while...

especially after hearing what the muffler by-pass alone sounded like....

BUT, who ever said sound was objective

Originally Posted by 911_997S
btw,
i will be adding 200cel cats and awe headers, im thinking of putting the cats right behind the headers and and then maybe 4in of pipe (or whatever it takes) or so and tips. anyone try this? i dont see the point of having a pipe maze under there.

Old 04-13-2007, 03:13 PM
HWJunkie is infamous around these parts
I think the PSE on my car was added after the fact at the dealer by the guy I bought the car from... It has the orange plug in the engine compartment, and I have unplugged it and taken a short drive, but didn't hear any difference.... So either it's not hooked up and is always "on" or I'm deaf

What exactly is unplugging that plug suppose to do, make it louder at lower RPMs or higher RPMs?

Last edited by HWJunkie; 04-13-2007 at 03:16 PM.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:30 PM
hdsr09 is infamous around these parts
I just heard a 997 GT3 drive past me going the other way last nite and it sounded INSANE. Loud enough to make me go "WTF was that?" when I heard it going by...

What do I have to install on my car to get it to sound as close as possible to a 997 GT3? The girl I was with was laughing because I was so in shock by the sound of the GT3 driving by...

Old 04-14-2007, 06:40 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by 1Gunner

Adding AWE headers and sport cats to a muffler by-pass pipe would be obnoxious and annoying after a while...
i'll wear ear plugs

Old 04-14-2007, 10:25 AM
JCS
JCS is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by HWJunkie
I think the PSE on my car was added after the fact at the dealer by the guy I bought the car from... It has the orange plug in the engine compartment, and I have unplugged it and taken a short drive, but didn't hear any difference.... So either it's not hooked up and is always "on" or I'm deaf

What exactly is unplugging that plug suppose to do, make it louder at lower RPMs or higher RPMs?

First , do you have Sport chrono ? If so, the PSE will only be on loud when you are in Sport mode.
If you don't have the chrono and activate the PSE via the dash switch( twin exh.symbol) and you can't hear any difference ,then something is wrong with the installation .
The PSE is a LOT louder than the standard exhaust.
Maybe the bypass valves are frozen closed ?

Per factory setup, with the PSE activated,the PSE bypass valves are supposed to close (quiet) when you step on the gas aggressively below ~ 50 mph and open again when you ease off the throttle ( you can definitely hear it when they open-close ). Above 50 ,they stay open (loud)

If you unplug the orange electrical connection to the solenoid valve , you disable the factory computer control and the exhaust pipe bypass valves will always stay open (loud) regardless if the PSE is activated or not ,either via Sport chrono or the PSE dash switch .

Last edited by JCS; 04-14-2007 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-14-2007, 10:55 AM
That's interesting... Yes I do have Sport Chrono, so i'll have to do some "testing" and "see" what hear... I'm pretty sure that the guy I got the car from, who I never really spoke to directly, but he told my car broker/dealer that he had a sport exhaust added. At the time, I didn't know what kind of exhaust it was.. I looked at the mufflers and they say Eisenmann on them. Raffi told me that it's a PSE... However, since it was added after the fact, there's no switch inside the car, that is if there is a switch from the factory (I'm not 100% sure if there really was one, o if it's only on non-sport chrono cars...?). There is the orange plug in the engine compartment, but I unplugged it and didn't notice a difference, although I didn't drive much much over 50 mph... I will have to try going faster than 50... But my question is, by not having the switch, if I leave the plug alone (plugged in) and put it in Sports mode, am I going to notice a difference? How does the switch work in conjuction with the Sports mode?

So I guess if I do this and don't notice a bog difference, the bypass is either stuck open, or stuck closed...? I wish I knew which it was, because this is my first Porsche and I'm not all that familiar with what it's suppose to sound like with or without the PSE...

Thanks!

Last edited by HWJunkie; 04-14-2007 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:53 AM
JCS
JCS is infamous around these parts
If you have Sports chrono, the Sport switch will activate the PSE . You will not have an additional switch .

The Porsche PSE muffler parts numbers are:
Right muffler : 997/19 , part# 997.111.611.02
Left muffler : 997/20 , part# 997.111.612.02

if you can't read the muffler numbers , check the part numbers on the exhaust outlets . They should be chrome plated st.stl. outlets( one larger than the other)

Right : 997.111.981.20
Left : 997.111.982.20

Each muffler should have one inlet and two exhaust outlets, one larger than the other.The smaller pipes should have the vacuum activated valves in them .
Check the solenoid valve in the engine compartment ( the one with the orange plug electrical connection to it ) and see if there are vacuum hoses connected to it and lead down to the valves .

Since the PSE valves are open (loud) by default , if something is not connected properly they should be LOUD. If they are not, the only thing I can think of is that either you do not have PSE, or the valves are frozen closed. And since there are two of them, that seems highly unlikely.

Good luck.

Last edited by JCS; 04-15-2007 at 08:49 AM.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:02 PM
Thanks to JCS, who emailed me the installation instructions for the PSE, I see exactly how it works... Thanks JCS!

And we both saw that in fact the PSE DOES say Eisenmann on the tips and on the mufflers.

Of course I have driven my car in Sport mode before but never really paid attention to the sound, and now that I knew that the Sport button also did what it does to the exhaust, I tried it, and WOW, it does make a pretty big difference!!! Definitely louder and kinda raspier... somewhat Ferreri-ish at times...

So now I know about that.... What else does the Sport button do exactly?

Old 04-16-2007, 01:15 AM
raffi is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by hdsr09
Hmmm... SO my preliminary slotting of exhausts is as follows, 1 being loudest and the last being most "stock" sounding (aka. crappy), based on what I've "searched" on:

1) Fabspeed Muffler Bypass Pipes
2) AWE
3) Fabspeed
4) Agency Power
5) Tubi
6) PSE
7) OEM Carrera S

Can anyone who is "in the know" refine my list and/or add to it?

Please keep in mind this list is for mufflers that are compatible with OEM Porsche Exhaust Tips!
I have only heard the PSE, AWE mufflers and stock in person. I also drove the car with the mufflers off to hear what the bypass would sound like.
This is what I think.
1) Fabspeed Muffler Bypass Pipes(loudest, unrefined)
2)
PSE (high pitched, raspy, i dont know how to describe but it sounds fake, "electronic-like"
3)
Tubi from the clip I saw of theStig (on 6speed)
4)
Fabspeed sounds close to my AWE mufflers from the sound clips (both of these are extremely tame with a definite change in note but not much louder until 6K rpm
5) Agency Power, schnell etc. probably close to the AWE and fabspeed
6) stock

Old 04-16-2007, 01:28 AM
hdsr09 is infamous around these parts
Thanx for your input! Does anyone else have any further insight that they can provide?

It would be GREATLY appreciated!

Old 04-16-2007, 01:41 PM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
I can't wait for Borla...it will probably be loud as hell, just the way I like it.

Dave

Old 04-16-2007, 03:29 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
hummm....so the consensus this week is AWE is louder than Fabspeed? Back in July last year everyone said Fab was way louder on this and other forums.

Did AWE change something in there mufflers?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ranking the exhausts out there by "loudness"...