997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Ranking the exhausts out there by "loudness"...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 06:49 PM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by mdrums
hummm....so the consensus this week is AWE is louder than Fabspeed? Back in July last year everyone said Fab was way louder on this and other forums.

Did AWE change something in there mufflers?
I don't think there is a consensus on this....just some heresay.

Dave

Old 04-16-2007, 07:09 PM
kauai_diver is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by hdsr09
Hmmm... SO my preliminary slotting of exhausts is as follows, 1 being loudest and the last being most "stock" sounding (aka. crappy), based on what I've "searched" on:

1) Fabspeed Muffler Bypass Pipes
2) AWE
3) Fabspeed
4) Agency Power
5) Tubi
6) PSE
7) OEM Carrera S

Can anyone who is "in the know" refine my list and/or add to it?

Please keep in mind this list is for mufflers that are compatible with OEM Porsche Exhaust Tips!

Do any of these besides PSE have the on/off switch? inquiring minds want to know

Old 04-16-2007, 07:26 PM
hdsr09 is infamous around these parts
I know it is all based on personal opinion, but if there is a general consensus that can be reached then that would be "good enough" for me... I just want to see, generally speaking, which exhaust/mufflers for 997 Carrera's is "the loudest" besides the muffler bypass pipes...

Originally Posted by Dave07997S
I don't think there is a consensus on this....just some heresay.

Dave

Old 04-16-2007, 08:47 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kauai_diver
Do any of these besides PSE have the on/off switch? inquiring minds want to know
No. Just so you know I have Fabspeed mufflers and am very happy with them. I spent 2 days at PDE in 2 cars (S and non S) that had PSE and honestly I did not think it was louder or softer in volume. I got to hear PSE in and out of the car. It sounds good....BUT...weights a lot and I'd rather spend around $1400 for Fab or AWE and sound good and go lighter in weight.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:21 PM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
Been away several days on a trip - no I'm not changing my feelings on the street manners of the AWE system, just suggesting that it's not quiet - it's loud but that you can control that if you are careful.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:48 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by hdsr09
I have Evosport headers, no cats, a Borla Midpipe, and an Eisenhaus Meisterschaft Titanium Exhaust on my E46 M3.

Does anyone know how my M3 setup would compare in sound to a 997 with headers & Fabspeed Muffler Bypass Pipes, and also compared to a 997 with headers & aftermarket mufflers?
Not as fast as mine.

Old 04-16-2007, 11:39 PM
1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold
Well that's good.... my AWE system is on order and Mike@AWE says shipping should begin inside the next 2 wks.

Ron have you had an opportunity to hear a Fabspeed car? If so, how would it compare to your AWE car?

Originally Posted by RonCT
Been away several days on a trip - no I'm not changing my feelings on the street manners of the AWE system, just suggesting that it's not quiet - it's loud but that you can control that if you are careful.

Old 04-17-2007, 04:35 AM
mishref is infamous around these parts
AWE is not that much louder than PSE (unplugged)

Old 04-17-2007, 04:52 AM
Byronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to behold
I have never heard any of these exhaust in real life. I was wondering how does my gemballa exhaust and headers fall on the list of sound. thinking of changing.

Byron

Old 04-17-2007, 11:38 AM
raffi is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mishref
AWE is not that much louder than PSE (unplugged)
I have the AWE mufflers and although I am very pleased with them (its my daily driver), I thought the PSE unplugged was much louder. I will have to film a video next time to compare the 2.

Old 04-17-2007, 11:45 AM
HWJunkie is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by raffi
I have only heard the PSE, AWE mufflers and stock in person. I also drove the car with the mufflers off to hear what the bypass would sound like.
This is what I think.
1) Fabspeed Muffler Bypass Pipes(loudest, unrefined)
2) PSE (high pitched, raspy, i dont know how to describe but it sounds fake, "electronic-like"
3) Tubi from the clip I saw of theStig (on 6speed)
4) Fabspeed sounds close to my AWE mufflers from the sound clips (both of these are extremely tame with a definite change in note but not much louder until 6K rpm
5) Agency Power, schnell etc. probably close to the AWE and fabspeed
6) stock
fake, "electronic-like" ...... Maybe i'll connect the PSE to my Bose system and have the exhaust amplified thru the Bose...

Old 04-17-2007, 12:03 PM
raffi is infamous around these parts
thats what it sounds like to me... they should have a pse volume switch, not just on/off so you could have better control of the sound, change the bass, treble etc. i thought my hearing is screwed up from all the loud music i listen to so i had my ears checked last week. the only time i get confirmation that my mufflers are sound good is when i get random compliments from
"non-porsche" people

Old 04-17-2007, 12:30 PM
HWJunkie is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by JCS
Per factory setup, with the PSE activated,the PSE bypass valves are supposed to close (quiet) when you step on the gas aggressively below ~ 50 mph and open again when you ease off the throttle ( you can definitely hear it when they open-close ). Above 50 ,they stay open (loud)

If you unplug the orange electrical connection to the solenoid valve , you disable the factory computer control and the exhaust pipe bypass valves will always stay open (loud) regardless if the PSE is activated or not ,either via Sport chrono or the PSE dash switch .
I'm a little confused... Let me try to get this straight... So on the PSE,

JCS said with the PSE activated (I'm assuming that means the button is ON?), the valves close when you step on the gas below 50 mph and open after 50 mph.

So if the valves are open by default, what happens when you have the button OFF.... Do the valves stay closed full-time?

And if you unplug the orange plug, it will stay always open (loud) ?

Old 04-17-2007, 12:52 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
I drove AWE and Fabspeed's cars back to back and I thought FS was louder than AWE.

Old 04-17-2007, 01:02 PM
1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold1Gunner is a splendid one to behold
What was your opinion on quality of sound between the two? I know, that's a purely subjective Q&A, but I'm curious.

Loudness is about the only objective aspect of exhaust sound that's measurable

Originally Posted by E55AMG
I drove AWE and Fabspeed's cars back to back and I thought FS was louder than AWE.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ranking the exhausts out there by "loudness"...