997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Ranking the exhausts out there by "loudness"...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 02:21 PM
JCS
JCS is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by HWJunkie
I'm a little confused... Let me try to get this straight... So on the PSE,

1.JCS said with the PSE activated (I'm assuming that means the button is ON?), the valves close when you step on the gas below 50 mph and open after 50 mph.

2.So if the valves are open by default, what happens when you have the button OFF.... Do the valves stay closed full-time?

3.And if you unplug the orange plug, it will stay always open (loud) ?

To 1.
Per factory setup ,at speeds below ~ 50 mph, when the PSE is activated (loud, bypass dampers open),the car's computer will automatically close the valves whenever the throttle is aggressively depressed and lets them open again (loud)as soon as the throttle is eased .Above 50, they remain open regardless of throttle use.
This is to conform with residential neighbourhood noise regulations in certain countries (Switzerland et.al.)

2. The system works as follows:
The bypass valves are CLOSED by vacuum pressure. If no vacuum is available, they OPEN by default(spring loaded) .
The vacuum line to the valves is opened / closed by an electrically (12 V) activated solenoid valve. The solenoid valve CLOSES by default and OPENS whenever an electrical signal( 12 V) is applied to it .

3. Correct (no power to solenoid, it stays closed. Solenoid closed, no vacuum to valves, valves stay open , PSE always loud)

Old 04-17-2007, 05:41 PM
E55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud ofE55AMG has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 1Gunner
What was your opinion on quality of sound between the two? I know, that's a purely subjective Q&A, but I'm curious.

Loudness is about the only objective aspect of exhaust sound that's measurable
Guys, I'm really sorry. I just realized I postsed this in the 997 forum My opinions were based on AWE and FS for the 997TT. Haven't heard either on the 997 C2 or C2S.

Old 04-18-2007, 05:49 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Ya know with all these muffler questions about sound and which one makes more power yada yada yada you would think that one of the Porsche magazines would do a shoot out.
Back in my motorcycle days the bike mags were always doing muffler shoot outs. Has Excellence ever done a muffler test on a 997S Porsche?

Old 04-18-2007, 07:58 PM
JCS
OK, I may have a solution for those who want loud . I mean REALLY LOUD.

1. get the PSE
2. have someone weld ~ 1 1/2 inch bypass pipes from the muffler inlet pipes to the PSE outlet pipes(in front of the valves)

Now you bypass the entire muffler for REALLY LOUD and if you want to save what's left of your hearing, you can turn off the PSE for normal operation .

And , as a bonus (interpolating some of the aftermarket muffler claims )
you will gain AT LEAST 100 hp at the wheel. Lol

Old 04-19-2007, 06:26 PM
HWJunkie is infamous around these parts
Now that sounds like a really good idea! Unfortunately, my knowledge of the system, and the Porsche exhaust in general, is pretty slim... And even though i now have the PSE installation directions, I don't know how I would even explain it to the place that's doing it... I do know that the PSE mufflers have 2 pipes going on direction and 1 going the other, whereas most mufflers have 1 going one directions and 1 going the other, so i'm assuming that the 2nd pipe has something to do with it.....

Where is the valve that opens and how would it be bypassed when you do the thing you are talking about?

If it sounds like something I could have someone do, I may just give it go... It would be kinda like the 06 Gallardo, stock, there's something similar to the PSE where it activates a valve at a certain RPM and routes the exhaust straight out the pipes and bypasses the mufflers... Someone I know in my area that has a Gallardo, put a button on the console that turns the bypass on or off, and man does it make a huge difference....

Old 04-19-2007, 09:55 PM
JCS
There are three pipes connected to the muffler.
The large pipe at the bottom is the inlet .
The large pipe from the middle is the standard exhaust and the smaller pipe at the top is the PSE bypass pipe and has the valve in it .
Connect the bottom pipe to the top one and you're done.

Old 04-19-2007, 10:16 PM
Banned
911_997S is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by JCS
OK, I may have a solution for those who want loud . I mean REALLY LOUD.

1. get the PSE
2. have someone weld ~ 1 1/2 inch bypass pipes from the muffler inlet pipes to the PSE outlet pipes(in front of the valves)

Now you bypass the entire muffler for REALLY LOUD and if you want to save what's left of your hearing, you can turn off the PSE for normal operation .

And , as a bonus (interpolating some of the aftermarket muffler claims )
you will gain AT LEAST 100 hp at the wheel. Lol
why not just get by pass pipes and save 50 lbs?

Old 04-19-2007, 10:21 PM
So the bottom pipe is the IN, and the top pipe is the OUT... But, the bottom pipe goes into the muffler and the valve in question is on the OUT pipe. How will the valve control where the exhaust goes if it's after the muffler?

Old 04-19-2007, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by 911_997S
why not just get by pass pipes and save 50 lbs?
Because this way you can have a switch that makes the car "normal" or "super loud", you have a choice this way... IMO

Old 04-21-2007, 12:26 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Again, I wish a magazine would do a muffler shoot out and rate the loudness, quality of sound and any gained horse power.

Old 04-21-2007, 07:28 AM
hdsr09 is infamous around these parts
+1 Does European Car snoop around this forum?

Originally Posted by mdrums
Again, I wish a magazine would do a muffler shoot out and rate the loudness, quality of sound and any gained horse power.

Old 04-22-2007, 03:08 AM
carmos is infamous around these parts
just installed agency mufflers on 997 c2 cab 3.6

hi all,just removed my fabspeed muffler bypass ,and installed agency mufflers..wow alot queiter...but louder than stock..i did because after having them on there for about 7 months,i was noticing low rpm torque loss,slight hesitaion between 1500 and 3000 rpm..i just put the agency's on and it feels more consistant..no low end hesitaion,but so much queiter,i will miss that sound some...