997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Ranking the exhausts out there by "loudness"...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 03:24 PM
hdsr09 is infamous around these parts
Ranking the exhausts out there by "loudness"...

Hey guys. Can you guys rank the exhausts that are available for 997 Carrera's by how loud they are? #1 being the loudest. Please denote if the exhaust sounds like crap. I am basically trying to find out which exhaust has the best combination of sounding good, loud, but low in tone.

Please also denote if the exhaust can use factory tips or needs aftermarket tips.

Thanx!

Old 04-12-2007, 01:05 AM
StrtSwpr996 is infamous around these parts
I think the(pretty damn sure) that the loudest exuast out ther are the Fabspeed muffler bypass pipes. They do not use mufflers, just to pipes that bypass the mufflers. I think it sounds really really good, not for everyone though. I always get compliments. People who here my car tell me that it makes them want to get straight pipes, except not all cars sound good without mufflers. In my oppinion and everyone elses that have heard my car say it sounds amazing.

Old 04-12-2007, 02:13 AM
Are you running stock catalytic converters, cat-bypass pipes, or aftermarket cats? It's kinda hard for me to gauge the sound from a video...

I have Evosport headers, no cats, a Borla Midpipe, and an Eisenhaus Meisterschaft Titanium Exhaust on my E46 M3.

Does anyone know how my M3 setup would compare in sound to a 997 with headers & Fabspeed Muffler Bypass Pipes, and also compared to a 997 with headers & aftermarket mufflers?

Originally Posted by StrtSwpr996
I think the(pretty damn sure) that the loudest exuast out ther are the Fabspeed muffler bypass pipes. They do not use mufflers, just to pipes that bypass the mufflers. I think it sounds really really good, not for everyone though. I always get compliments. People who here my car tell me that it makes them want to get straight pipes, except not all cars sound good without mufflers. In my oppinion and everyone elses that have heard my car say it sounds amazing.

Old 04-12-2007, 02:20 AM
As of right now I have stock headers and stock cats, I just bypasses the mufflers... An M3 sounds like **** with no mufflers.

Old 04-12-2007, 02:50 AM
Haha... I never heard an E46 M3 w/o mufflers before... Hmmm.... I might just end up buying the muffler bypass pipes... How is the drone in the car? Is it significantly louder in the cabin with the bypass pipes rather than mufflers?

Old 04-12-2007, 09:14 AM
ARod is infamous around these parts
Hello hdsr09..
Fabspeed all the way men.... its pretty simple, just fabspeed by pass and fabspeed tips for the mean look. the first few hundred miles it would sound weird cause it is a big diffference. and you might find it too loud but!!! as you drive around and you start getting so many complements about the way it sounds and look, thats whem you realize thats the only way to go.
disregards the hanging *********... it a long story... ;-)

just do it men... you would not be sry..
ARod

Old 04-12-2007, 10:39 AM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
In person I've heard oem 997S, oem 997S with PSE, and oem 997S with AWE headers, cats, and mufflers. 997S most civil, PSE next in line for loudness, AWE set-up louder / deeper than PSE.

Old 04-12-2007, 12:03 PM
LaCayenne59 is infamous around these parts
Damn I would love to do the muffler bypass pipes setup. Im just scared it would be too lound for daily driving (plus my neighbors would probably kill me ). How hard are they to install? If you dont mind telling me, who did you have install them in SoCal and how much did they charge? Is it easy to swap back to the original mufflers?

I would love to see a video comparing the AWE setup vs. Fabspeed setup, as these two seem to be the most common.

Old 04-12-2007, 12:06 PM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
Honestly, bypass is simply not to be taken seriously unless maybe it's a track-only car on a trailer. Not only would everyone hate you, you'd get expelled from tracks for exceeding db levels, you'd get ticketed for noise ordinance violations, be driven from your neighborhood and town, etc.

The AWE system I have is actually louder than I'd like - but I can control it if careful by not putting too much load on the engine when driving around the neighborhood. Who the heck wants to attract the attention of attentive neighbors, the police, etc.?

Old 04-12-2007, 02:57 PM
So what is louder? Fabspeed or AWE? Where does Agency Power Mufflers rank amongst those other 2 mufflers? Can you use OEM tips with the AWE Mufflers? I know Fabspeed & Agency Power Mufflers are compatible with OEM Tips...

Old 04-12-2007, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by hdsr09
Haha... I never heard an E46 M3 w/o mufflers before... Hmmm.... I might just end up buying the muffler bypass pipes... How is the drone in the car? Is it significantly louder in the cabin with the bypass pipes rather than mufflers?
Yeah it can get pretty loud in the cabin, especially on the freeway. But you learn to love it.

Old 04-12-2007, 03:13 PM
DOGDOG7 is infamous around these parts
I wanna know more about Agency Power too, cost cheaper than the other two.

Old 04-12-2007, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by LaCayenne59
Damn I would love to do the muffler bypass pipes setup. Im just scared it would be too lound for daily driving (plus my neighbors would probably kill me ). How hard are they to install? If you dont mind telling me, who did you have install them in SoCal and how much did they charge? Is it easy to swap back to the original mufflers?

I would love to see a video comparing the AWE setup vs. Fabspeed setup, as these two seem to be the most common.
I drive my car almost on a daily basis and I have no problems with the level of sound. Sometimes I even think about making it louder. I just watch the revs when I am in my neighborhood, if your carefull its not that loud.
As far as installation, it was pretty easy, My friends and did the job ourselves, takes about an hour if you know what your doing and everything goes smooth, and about 2 hours if your unfamiliar with the exhaust on your car. The hardest part was probably removing stock mufflers and being carefull that it doesnt fall on your face, Other then that you should be fine doing it on your own. Put the car on some ramps and your good to go.
I dont think you can go wrong with these especially for only 300 bucks and no installation charge.

Last edited by StrtSwpr996; 04-12-2007 at 03:27 PM.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:24 PM
Hmmm... SO my preliminary slotting of exhausts is as follows, 1 being loudest and the last being most "stock" sounding (aka. crappy), based on what I've "searched" on:

1) Fabspeed Muffler Bypass Pipes
2) AWE
3) Fabspeed
4) Agency Power
5) Tubi
6) PSE
7) OEM Carrera S

Can anyone who is "in the know" refine my list and/or add to it?

Please keep in mind this list is for mufflers that are compatible with OEM Porsche Exhaust Tips!

Old 04-12-2007, 04:26 PM
996CABOVA is a jewel in the rough996CABOVA is a jewel in the rough996CABOVA is a jewel in the rough
I just got my bi pass pipes OFF today and went with Fabspeed Mufflers and I can say ITS a BIG DIFFERENCE haha i thought i had my OEM mufflers on til I went under a overpass. The bi pass sounds INCREDIBLE but for me after almost a year it was just too much just hearing UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH even at 3 rpm on the highway cruising. The mufflers sound great now but when you whack it, much better in my opinion for a daily driver

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ranking the exhausts out there by "loudness"...