997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Aftermarket steering wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 04:08 PM
HWJunkie is infamous around these parts
Aftermarket steering wheel w/Paddle shifters

I have a multifunction TIP steering wheel and find it somewhat "thin"... I like the feel of the thicker sport steering wheel and was considering either ditching the multifunction buttons and getting a regular TIP sport steering wheel or maybe having mine recovered and made thicker... But now, raffi, who posts on this board and lives near my office, told me about a place that has a smaller diameter, thicker steering wheel in various finishes, AND, it has paddle shifters... The one they have on their website is part leather and part aluminum website (I couldn't get the pictures I have of it to upload to this post for some reason), but I contacted them and they say they can do it in all leather if I want... It aint cheap though, I think they want $1400-1600 plus another $599 or something for the "hub"...

Has anyone ever thought about doing this? and do you think it's just too much for a steering wheel? obviously the non-tip owners will think so and don't care, but for the tip guys, what do you think? I've always wanted a car with paddles, so maybe it's worth it?

Last edited by HWJunkie; 04-14-2007 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-13-2007, 06:51 PM
Andre5 is infamous around these partsAndre5 is infamous around these parts
I've thought about it. It is a good chunk of change for a steering wheel, but keep in mind that you're also paying for an airbag and it is TUV approved.

In the pre-airbag era of steering wheels, this would have been one of the very first mods that I would have done.

Old 04-14-2007, 01:36 AM
raffi is infamous around these parts
Hey Marc,
I just realized for that price of around $2000, you might as well go for the techart steering wheel which is just a recovered oem version. and you can keep all your multifunction options.
I think everyone on here will agree that it is by far the best steering wheel.
The only downside is that it doesnt come in a smaller diameter like the fvd one.

Old 04-14-2007, 01:42 AM
Redlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond reputeRedlinerobert has a reputation beyond repute
I disagree. Although I love Techart's pieces, the EVO steering wheel is absolutely beautiful.

Old 04-14-2007, 10:18 AM
HWJunkie is infamous around these parts
I haven't seen the Techart steering wheel, but I do know that one of the things I like about the EVO steering wheel is the paddle shifter....

Here's a couple more pics of it:

Attached Images   
Old 05-28-2007, 03:31 PM
RobertM is a glorious beacon of lightRobertM is a glorious beacon of lightRobertM is a glorious beacon of lightRobertM is a glorious beacon of lightRobertM is a glorious beacon of light
very nice, has anyone installed the steering wheel on their car??? Also what is the performance on a tip car ???

Old 05-28-2007, 03:54 PM
adybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the roughadybuncio is a jewel in the rough
Just get the OEM steering wheels re-wrapped

Old 05-28-2007, 10:05 PM
Ration is infamous around these parts
Hey, I think I can be of help here. I bought and installed the FVD steering wheel for my 997 Turbo and I have been using it since early this year. It's as solid as it looks; I definately liked it better than the thinner OEM wheel that came with the car. However, I found that there's a problem with the placement of the paddle shifters. The hub that came with the car was about an inch or so too short and the paddles are pretty close to the instrument stalks (wipers, lights...). The new hub still hasn't been made, and I'm waiting on that. Honestly, it's a minor issue for me but I'd rather have it perfect for the money that I paid for it. The paddles are definately usable and I find them way better than those damn buttons. I'd rate the product a 9/10; it would be perfect with the hub issue sorted out.

I also have pictures, if anyone is still interested.

Old 05-28-2007, 10:35 PM
synergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to behold
I love my MF wheel, the look is great and the functionality is fair....BUT IT IS WAY TOO THIN! The Techart core exchange is the best way to go for the 997 IMO. You simply exchange your thin wheel, keep the MF functionality and enjoy the thick cushy grip of the Techart. I saw this setup in a Turbo this weekend as well as in Sharky's Cayman....very thick and very sporty and very freakin' cool!

Check it out:

Old 05-29-2007, 05:48 AM
pilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nice
I still think the Rinspeed steering wheel is probably the nicest around!
I did only see the official pics of it...does anyone have it and is able to post some pics?

Old 05-29-2007, 07:31 AM
cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !cannga Is a GOD !
I am interested. Please post the pictures or email them to me at cannga@pacbell.net . Thanks & regards,
Can

Originally Posted by Ration
Hey, I think I can be of help here. I bought and installed the FVD steering wheel for my 997 Turbo and I have been using it since early this year. It's as solid as it looks; I definately liked it better than the thinner OEM wheel that came with the car. However, I found that there's a problem with the placement of the paddle shifters. The hub that came with the car was about an inch or so too short and the paddles are pretty close to the instrument stalks (wipers, lights...). The new hub still hasn't been made, and I'm waiting on that. Honestly, it's a minor issue for me but I'd rather have it perfect for the money that I paid for it. The paddles are definately usable and I find them way better than those damn buttons. I'd rate the product a 9/10; it would be perfect with the hub issue sorted out.

I also have pictures, if anyone is still interested.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:10 PM
Ration is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by cannga
I am interested. Please post the pictures or email them to me at cannga@pacbell.net . Thanks & regards,
Can
Alright, no problem.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:37 PM
mishref is infamous around these parts
The paddles look like they are uncomfortably close to the stalker ..

Old 05-30-2007, 01:49 AM
ty328 is a splendid one to beholdty328 is a splendid one to beholdty328 is a splendid one to beholdty328 is a splendid one to beholdty328 is a splendid one to beholdty328 is a splendid one to beholdty328 is a splendid one to behold
Here's the EVO wheel without paddle shifters.

Old 05-30-2007, 06:35 AM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
how big or thick is the gt3 steering wheel?
and how do they compare?