997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

How often do you take your 911 for a spin?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 07:25 PM
btromp is infamous around these parts
How often do you take your 911 for a spin?

A few disclaimers: I've only had my 911 for two months now and the weather hasn't been the greatest in Ohio. However, I'm a little suprised how little I've driven my Carrera S so far. Mostly I've been driving my daily driver, a BMW.

I live only two miles from my office so driving that short of distance only to leave the car in the parking lot all day seems a bit silly. Also the owners manual said to avoid short trips and it wouldn't even get warmed up going to work. Likewise the majority of restaurants and shops I go to are within five miles.

I realize many folks drive their Porsche every day. I'm wondering for those of you who keep it as a weekend car, how often do you drive yours? Do you use it to run errands on the weekend or do you save it for special day trips or vacations?

I'm absolutely thrilled with the car. I just thought I would be driving it more. Hopefully that will all change when warmer/dryer weather hits.

I guess in short it seems like such overkill to get the Porsche out to go to the grocery or go a few miles to the mall. What do the rest of you do?

Looking forward to hearing for you all!

Old 04-15-2007, 07:30 PM
RedRocket is infamous around these parts
mines a daily driver...4 miles to work every day...take it out whenever i can...short trip or long...doesnt matter

Old 04-15-2007, 08:17 PM
rzundel is infamous around these parts
I originally bought mine as a daily driver but after driving it to work the first time I went out and bought a new Escalade EXT the next day that I have driven to work every day since. I love having the C4S as a third car. There is something magic about having it in the garage to take out for a spin when you need a little pick me up! I just had my 1st anniversary with the car and it only has 1500 miles on it. Call me crazy but I am getting a lot of enjoyment out of the car without having to load up the miles.

Old 04-15-2007, 09:48 PM
500 is infamous around these parts500 is infamous around these parts
Since I work from home I don't drive my 997S every day but I make it a point to take it out at least 3x's a week even if it's just for a nice spin .

Old 04-15-2007, 09:56 PM
porschenut911 is infamous around these parts
At least once a week on the weekends, whether going somewhere or not. About 2K a year is all my baby gets.

Old 04-15-2007, 10:11 PM
Byronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to behold
I drive the crap out of it. To the beach (throw a short board inside), mall (park wherever a stall is available),work (Construction site), etc. I even let people who dream of owning a porsche or any of my cars use it for a weekend. To me it is just a car and I want to enjoy them.

ALoha,

Byron
P.S. Don't buy my cars after I am done with them...lol

Old 04-15-2007, 10:23 PM
cl997 is a splendid one to beholdcl997 is a splendid one to beholdcl997 is a splendid one to beholdcl997 is a splendid one to beholdcl997 is a splendid one to beholdcl997 is a splendid one to behold
Mines a daily driver, even though I only live 8km from work. I stopped taking the long way home but make a point of having a decent run on the weekends. (the Porsche club in Sydney, Australia is very active with social drives and club sprints). It still feels special, almost 2 years on. Enjoy it, however long or short your drives!

Old 04-15-2007, 10:45 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation
sasportas has a spectacular aura aboutsasportas has a spectacular aura about
Driving

Porsche is one of the few makes of performance sports cars that are designed and expected to be driven daily - rain, snow or shine. I put about 15K a year on mine and have never missed a day driving my car expect when a deer flew into it unexpectedly when it was a couple of weeks old.

The engine stays fresh, shocks stay lubricated, tires don't get flat spots, ring seals stay tight, hoses don't crack, etc....

Short trips are OK as well, just don't flog the engine before the oil is up to operating temp (usually 4-5 miles or 5-8 minutes). Definetely take the long way - make excuses to double back and take an entrance or exit ramp again (here in NJ you can do this all day long).

Enjoy! The Bimmer on the otherhand (and I have two of them) are great for the occasional drive or beater car.

Old 04-15-2007, 11:14 PM
kauai_diver is infamous around these parts
I've got a bit over 11k miles and two track events under my belt and not quite year old yet!

Wasn't supposed to be a daily, but its just too fun not to drive everyday!

Old 04-16-2007, 01:46 AM
synergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to behold
I drive mine about 2X a week and on some weekend road trips now and then. I drive about 5k miles per year and love every mile....

Old 04-16-2007, 01:55 AM
Itzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond repute
just did tonight

Old 04-16-2007, 03:51 AM
Banned
911_997S is infamous around these parts
daily driver, 8000mi in 4 mo

Old 04-16-2007, 08:20 AM
Root is a glorious beacon of lightRoot is a glorious beacon of lightRoot is a glorious beacon of lightRoot is a glorious beacon of lightRoot is a glorious beacon of light
I am on my 4th 911, '07 C2S Cab., and all have been "Garage Queens". None of them ever in rain.
My DD is an '05 Cayenne TT.

Old 04-16-2007, 08:34 AM
TUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant futureTUUNER has a brilliant future
Can't DD mine as I have to shuttle clients around in the CS...this weekend I only put 50 miles on it

Old 04-16-2007, 08:53 AM
OGA-Charlie is infamous around these parts
Every Mile's a Pleasure

My advice is drive, drive, drive; Damn the weather, full speed ahead. I bought my 997 TT two weeks ago and have already driven 2,000 miles....and I live in Syracuse where the weather is almost always bad. I will admit that with the impending downfall of a foot of snow and high winds tonight, I've parked my ride in a barn beneath a cover. Won't bring it back out til the Nor' easter passes and the roads are clear.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How often do you take your 911 for a spin?