997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Should I powder coat my wheels.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 09:17 PM
C4Cortez is infamous around these parts
It might look good, but i think powder coat is not vivid enough ... (pics below)

....or make the commitment & do your Sport Designs in FULL Cobalt!!!! >> http://pioneer.porschedealer.com/new...ntoryid=290782

Last edited by C4Cortez; 04-25-2007 at 09:28 PM. Reason: +pics
Old 04-25-2007, 11:32 PM
alkyoneus has a spectacular aura aboutalkyoneus has a spectacular aura aboutalkyoneus has a spectacular aura about
full black looks nicee

Old 04-25-2007, 11:58 PM
TrailBraker is infamous around these parts
I vote full black

Old 04-26-2007, 12:25 AM
Byronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to beholdByronmaui is a splendid one to behold
Paint them gloss black.

aloha

Byron

Old 04-26-2007, 06:57 AM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
I just posted this as a new thread and then saw this thread... I'd say absolutely don't powder coat wheels based on what the Northeast BBS Representative told us last night - and he should know - BBS makes all of the OEM wheels for our Porsches... Here's what I posted:

We had our CVR PCA meeting last night and the Northeast regional BBS representative gave a presentation. Of particular note was the damage that powder coating does to a wheel if it's done outside of the initial manufacturing process. In other words, if adding clear coat, anodizing, or even powder coating is factored in when the wheel is made such that the chemistry is planned out, then it's not a problem. But people that take delivery of a wheel and then send it out for powder coating are going to see a 30% degradation in the structural integrity of the wheel. The way I understood what he said - it was like heat treating something in the manufacture and then "undoing" it by baking on the powder coat. I didn't quite understand how that differs from heat cycling the wheel on the track - I just don't know much about the powder coating process.

Anyway - I had never before heard of negatives of powder coating metal and even wonder if this applies to things like roll bars. Just a heads-up to all...

P.S. He rolled his eyes and said "Honestly, I don't know why anyone wants black wheels in the first place - if it's to make the car look racy, it isn't working because all race cars have silver / aluminum colored wheels..."