997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Which Clear Bra Material?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 02:29 PM
rightlook is infamous around these parts
Plastic

Have them do the whole hood and bumper and you won't even notice it. I also did just the front part of each fender and it is hard to see. The venture is a little thinner than the factory plastic and therefore less noticeable. I too was not sure about it until I got a big old rock chip. I want to take some drives in the desert or maybe to Vegas and thought the extra protection would be better than nothing at all.

I do wonder what we would have if we remove it after a couple years though.

Stephen

Old 05-09-2007, 03:15 PM
Bach 997 is infamous around these parts
Yeah it will look like the chip gaurds in front of the rear wheels.

As for damaging the paint, if it is applied properly it shouldn't damage the paint. If your are going to repaint anything before applying the clear bra, make sure that you allow enough time for the paint to cure and harden because if you don't that's when your paint will be damaged.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:03 PM
jrloM3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by btromp
Should I have any worries about it damaging the paint long-term or any other nasty side effects? Is it going to look pretty much like the chip guards do near the rear wheels?
long term damage to the paint? this is a hottly debated topic. just do a search. i think the general consensus is that anything adhered to the paint in the long term will do some damage. but installing a clear bra is the lesser of two evils... install the bra and risk possible damage to the paint, or don't install the bra and deal with the inevitable damage done by rock chips, road debris, etc.

personally, i had ventureshield installed. like someone said earlier, having some protection is better than no protection.

Last edited by jrloM3; 05-09-2007 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:04 AM
btromp is infamous around these parts
I've been doing some more searches online for ventureshield. Their home site seems more for installers than end consumers. Their FAQ tells me nothing that I would want to know. But as long as their product is good.

Is there any maintenance to this or is it wash and wax as usual?

Old 05-10-2007, 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by btromp
Is there any maintenance to this or is it wash and wax as usual?
wax it at least once every two months, or more frequently depending on how often you drive it, weather conditions, etc.

Old 05-10-2007, 12:36 PM
i have a question for those of you that track your car with a clear bra installed...

i plan to start tracking my car heavily. has your clear bra held up, or should i add a layer of blue painter's tape?

Old 05-10-2007, 12:45 PM
Mika_Hakkinen is infamous around these parts
I had a real problem with cone marks from Auto-x on my clear bra. I tried everything short of steel wool to remove some the marks left from those damn dirty cones. I guess as so long as you don't hit any cones or similar objects on the track you'll be ok

Old 05-10-2007, 01:22 PM
TAnthony is infamous around these parts
I went with the FULL PACKAGE new Venture Sheild installed by Amorglove in Greenwich CT - on the Arctic Silver.

Had EVERYTHING done - Hood, Front Fenders, Bumper, Headlights, Foglights, Wheel Wells - Front and Rear - Side Mirrors and the under bumper behind the rear wheels.

My wife said "I don't think those guys came today to do the work to your car - it doesn't look any different to me"

I don't know about any long term yellowing etc - just went with what was available - for the money it was totally reasonable and they came to my house.

Strip the wax first by using a light mixture of Dawn and water. Do it yourself if you don't want the installers to do it....