997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Oh Snap! Just got a facelift!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 07:04 AM
TD in DC is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ty328
Thank you TD,
What the heck is +3 X -3 =9? If I remenber at school negative X positive = negative which is =0 no wing
negative three times a negative three equals positive nine! Get a wing!

Old 09-13-2007, 07:35 AM
Itzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond reputeItzkirb has a reputation beyond repute
-3, Stop! Shush Kirby

Dinner tonight (Thursday)? Text me, email or call me

Old 09-14-2007, 12:33 AM
ty328 is a splendid one to beholdty328 is a splendid one to beholdty328 is a splendid one to beholdty328 is a splendid one to beholdty328 is a splendid one to beholdty328 is a splendid one to beholdty328 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by hozer
adding a wing makes it a bit poserish in my opinion. Looks good as is, dont get carried away with all the bling...unless that is what you are after.
My point exactly! I love the way it look now, thanks

Old 09-14-2007, 06:47 AM
adding a wing makes it a bit poserish in my opinion. Looks good as is, dont get carried away with all the bling...unless that is what you are after.
My point exactly! I love the way it look now, thanks

Huh? I really don't understand this thought.

I take it that none of these cars are going to be taken to the track (which is a shame, but anyway), so the aerokit front bumper with the GT3 vent is being added on to the car purely for aesthetic purposes rather than any performance enhancement.

In fact, the new bumper, although it looks outstanding, will actually make the car less practical because clearance is now less and you have created an imbalance from an aerodynamic standpoint (these bumpers and wings, unlike many aftermarket solutions, were developed after hours and hours of testing by Porsche engineers).

Adding something that looks like a performance option solely for looks is the very definition of poserish, isn't it?

And then to say that adding on the rear wing, which would at least make the aerokit a true performance enhancement -- whether you use it fully or not -- is "poserish" seems exactly backwards.

The least poserish thing you could do is leave the car stock. The next least poserish thing you could do is add on a full aerokit. Everything inbetween seems, well, much, much higher on the poser scale.

That said, what other people think of your car, just like what they think of my car, is utterly irrelevant (unless they are a potential buyer). We should all live life to the fullest and do what makes us happy.

Last edited by TD in DC; 09-14-2007 at 07:20 AM.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:00 AM
Banned
hozer is infamous around these parts
I think its the wing mostly. The GT3 wing is very distinct and if you put it on a the the CS to me...I dont know, its almost like you are faking the funk. But to each his own...it doesnt really matter. I dont really like the GT3 wing look, but like it on the GT3 BECAUSE its a GT3.

A tasteful wing could work though.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:06 AM
I think its the wing mostly. The GT3 wing is very distinct and if you put it on a the the CS to me...I dont know, its almost like you are faking the funk. But to each his own...it doesnt really matter. I dont really like the GT3 wing look, but like it on the GT3 BECAUSE its a GT3.

A tasteful wing could work though.
Well, so is the "GT3 front bumper," PARTICULARLY when you add the vents. If anything, adding that is "faking the funk" because that was NEVER available from the factory as an option.

With respect to what you are calling the "GT3 rear wing," that was a FACTORY option on all 997C2s, and it is mandatory with the front bumper, which happens to be identical to the GT3 front bumper except it does not have the front vents. I am still missing your reasoning about the "poser" issues. Seems to me like you have it backwards. If you don't want a wing, fine, but calling those who install the complete aerokit "posers" is, really, the pot calling the kettle black. Not that there is anything wrong with pot.

P.S. Here are pictures of my car with "poser" wing straight from the factory on a C2S.

Attached Images    
Old 09-14-2007, 09:48 AM
JayWild is infamous around these parts
Eh, millions of people do the same thing to their vehicles. Some are into just looks, and/or sound, others are into strictly performance.

I think the mods to his car are hot (but I feel would be complete with a decent or appropriate wing).

At least he isn't putting McClaren badges on his car. I've seen some ricers do that to their tuners. (kid u not, I saw a Civic with Z3 fenders and BMW emblems....gross).

Old 09-14-2007, 07:12 PM
spyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to behold
Poser shmoser!! Going to church every Sunday does NOT make you a Saint just as going to the track, does NOT make you Walter Rohl!

That being said, Porsche has always been a pragmatic company where form always follows function. I like my stock Carrera S, but I also really like the RUF R Kompressor! There's nothing wrong with fixing the car up since the Carrera S is not the track monster the GT3 is. It was made to look good, be practical, and occasionally drive it like you stole it!

In that sense, I guess we can consider the one gt3 bumper without spoiler to be appropriate for the Carrera S...

Old 09-14-2007, 07:33 PM
The only person calling anyone a poser around here was someone suggesting that putting the entire aerokit on was poserish as opposed to just putting on the GT3 front bumper. If just putting on the GT3 front bumper isn't poserish, then I don't know how you can say that putting on the entire factory aerokit is poserish.
Originally Posted by spyder997s
Poser shmoser!! Going to church every Sunday does NOT make you a Saint just as going to the track, does NOT make you Walter Rohl!

That being said, Porsche has always been a pragmatic company where form always follows function. I like my stock Carrera S, but I also really like the RUF R Kompressor! There's nothing wrong with fixing the car up since the Carrera S is not the track monster the GT3 is. It was made to look good, be practical, and occasionally drive it like you stole it!

In that sense, I guess we can consider the one gt3 bumper without spoiler to be appropriate for the Carrera S...

Old 09-14-2007, 07:48 PM
spyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to beholdspyder997s is a splendid one to behold
What constitutes a poser? Almost every Porsche owner I know drives the hell out of their car!!! And let's not bring up all the mods almost every member here has done!

Just as long as we don't start seeing "Variocam Power" stickers and "Porsche Turbo Power" decals a la Honda Civic racer boys!

Old 09-16-2007, 12:51 PM
synergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to beholdsynergy is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by TD in DC
I take it that none of these cars are going to be taken to the track (which is a shame, but anyway), so the aerokit front bumper with the GT3 vent is being added on to the car purely for aesthetic purposes rather than any performance enhancement.
Dude, think before you speak. I could spend 20 minutes and respond with factual information on why your points are completley false from our track days to official Porsche PDFs that outline what the AeroKit actually does BUT I would rather be driving my poseur 997 instead...maybe you should take your views to another board.

Last edited by synergy; 09-16-2007 at 12:56 PM.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by synergy
Dude, think before you speak. I could spend 20 minutes and respond with factual information on why your points are completley false from our track days to official Porsche PDFs that outline what the AeroKit actually does BUT I would rather be driving my poseur 997 instead...maybe you should take your views to another board.

Please educate me. Sounds like you really know what you are talking about. I am always willing to learn from someone who knows more than I.

And, I think you are confusing me with someone else. I didn't call ANYONE a poseur. Someone else said that those who have the entire aerokit look more like poseurs than those who only have the front bumper. I pointed out that I didn't understand that reasoning. And I still don't. Am I wrong about that as well?

Your editing of my post makes it look like I am saying something I really was not. Here is my original post in full. Seems to me that the last two lines are the most important, and why your "annoyance" with me is seemingly misplaced.

Originally Posted by TD in DC
Huh? I really don't understand this thought.

In fact, the new bumper, although it looks outstanding, will actually make the car less practical because clearance is now less and you have created an imbalance from an aerodynamic standpoint (these bumpers and wings, unlike many aftermarket solutions, were developed after hours and hours of testing by Porsche engineers).

Adding something that looks like a performance option solely for looks is the very definition of poserish, isn't it?

And then to say that adding on the rear wing, which would at least make the aerokit a true performance enhancement -- whether you use it fully or not -- is "poserish" seems exactly backwards.

The least poserish thing you could do is leave the car stock. The next least poserish thing you could do is add on a full aerokit. Everything inbetween seems, well, much, much higher on the poser scale.

That said, what other people think of your car, just like what they think of my car, is utterly irrelevant (unless they are a potential buyer). We should all live life to the fullest and do what makes us happy.

Last edited by TD in DC; 09-16-2007 at 05:26 PM.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:09 PM
Banned
hozer is infamous around these parts
I made the original comment...but it has been taken out of context at this point and you guys are getting way too worked up about.

Its just my opinion, its no big deal...I didnt realize how emotional people would get. If you note I said "a bit poserish"...its not like I am totally slamming it. But to specifically state what I was thinking was really directed to the base 911 with the aerokit since that would not make a lot of sense from a performance standpoint. I can see it on the S, but not a fan of it on the base 911...either way totally my opinion. This thread is about aesthetics and discussions of this car and how things look on it...nothing here should be taken too seriously. Its not a technical discussion. People realize these are just opinions and nothing more. Besides that, I was clearly stating I liked the car as is and was not directly anything negative about this car. Just realize if you have both the front GT3 fascia and rear wing people are going to be expecting to see a GT3. OK, thats all I have to say...other than relax.

Last edited by hozer; 09-16-2007 at 06:45 PM.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:59 PM
I made the original comment...but it has been taken out of context at this point and you guys are getting way too worked up about.

Its just my opinion, its no big deal...I didnt realize how emotional people would get. If you note I said "a bit poserish"...its not like I am totally slamming it. But to specifically state what I was thinking was really directed to the base 911 with the aerokit since that would not make a lot of sense from a performance standpoint. I can see it on the S, but not a fan of it on the base 911...either way totally my opinion. This thread is about aesthetics and discussions of this car and how things look on it...nothing here should be taken too seriously. Its not a technical discussion. People realize these are just opinions and nothing more. Besides that, I was clearly stating I liked the car as is and was not directly anything negative about this car. Just realize if you have both the front GT3 fascia and rear wing people are going to be expecting to see a GT3. OK, thats all I have to say...other than relax.
No worries from my end. I wasn't, and still am not, taking it that seriously.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:59 AM
Daytonaviolet is infamous around these parts
poser or wannabe.. who cares. i feel that you should mod your car any way you like just as long as you dont BADGE it incorrectly.. track car or street car. if you have a CS and have the GT3 kit.. thats fine. i actually think thats hawt!! also a TT with a GT3 bumper is hot.

in the BMW world.. im the #1 CSL poser, but.. NO i dont have a CSL badge on my car

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Oh Snap! Just got a facelift!