997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

PSE Like Mod

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 02:03 PM
LaCayenne59 is infamous around these parts
cant wait to hear your impression raffi.

if you dont mind me asking, how much did the whole process cost you?

Old 05-18-2007, 02:10 PM
CoreyNJ is infamous around these parts
Gundo... I just wanted to say Dude!!!!
Welcome to the dark side....

Originally Posted by Gundo
Hello all. My new 997 S has all of 500 miles on it and I'm itching to modify the muffler.

I bought some 997 cans on ebay for $29. I'm planning to take them over to Farnbacher-Loles here in Danbury CT to have them weld up some pipe to create a bypass similar to the PSE.

Question is, have any of you done this on a 997S? Thinking about 2.25" pipe, but am open to suggestions.

Starting with this:

This should be the result...

Old 05-18-2007, 02:35 PM
Gundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud of
Thanks Bro - definitely enjoying the content on this board!

Old 05-18-2007, 04:18 PM
raffi is infamous around these parts
alright guys, I was hoping to get back and tell you that the mod is incredible and just like the pse, but gotta say its just ok...
Let me start off by saying I have so far had the schnell tube, and now the K&N CAI, combined with the AWE mufflers until today.
Now I have the CAI and the pse mod oem mufflers.
I have only really compared my sound to my friends true pse 997, and occasionally driving alongside oem muffler 997's
I always felt his PSE was louder than mine, just alittle louder than the AWE but flatter and more raspy, dry sounding.
I now think that the AWE is a very good muffler after going back to my oem.
There was someone else who recently posted in the 996 forum and I agree with him that the pse mod doesnt add much sound. th 70-80% of PSE that people have been claiming is pretty accurate.
The one thing I can say for certain is that it has the same dry raspy characteristic as the PSE. absolutely no drone, I thought the AWE had no drone but now realize that some was there (although it wasnt annoying).
the PSE and AWE do alot of gurgling and popping, and the pse mod does just alittle.
So I think for someone who doesnt want to shell out some cash for a new set of mufflers, this is a good alternative, with these conditions...
you can get the mod done for around $50 (thats what I paid), and dont need to spend alot for installation ( i diy'd it in about an hour).
otherwise spend a few extra dollars and get an aftermarket set or spend even more and get the real pse.
All that being said, i am still alittle hung over and am not going to try to judge the sound from memory so i will wait to meet up with my friend who has the pse or maybe compare my sound to the oem muffler in the next few days.

Old 05-18-2007, 05:37 PM
just went for another quick drive, noticed that it is getting alittle louder and it really sounds close to the pse when in the garage.
i guess there is something that the AWE had that this muffler is missing and that is my main disappointment. The real test will be when I compare with my friends pse 997.
i will also look into a soundclip as i have no idea how to do this.

Old 05-19-2007, 05:15 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=525WgBfvL9Y

here is my clip, not the greatest but at least i tried...
i think you can get the idea even though the quality isnt the greatest

Old 05-20-2007, 06:07 AM
florindi is infamous around these parts
Ok guys here the scoop. I did this mod last summer. There is one other item you need to do. You need to open up the can and bypass section 1 from section 3 internally. The internals of a 997 muffler is different than a 996. So the external mod is not enough. The external mod barely makes a difference. I bought AWE mufflers and even tried a used pair of PSE. These are loud exhaust in respect to the stock system. My mods fall in between the other systems mentioned. I have no resononance between 2-3k like the AWE and Fabspeed has. Sound is subjective. I don't like loud systems at all. But the stock 997 system is too quiet. PM me if you have questions. I live in Boston if anyone wants to hear.

Old 05-20-2007, 09:56 AM
Matt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud of
Would love to hear it!

florindi -

I live out near Hopkinton (work in Marlboro) and would love the chance to hear your car. Is it a base 997 or and "S"?

Let me know when you might have some time. Maybe Gundo is interested also?

Thanks very much

Matt

Old 05-20-2007, 11:15 AM
florindi is infamous around these parts
Hey Matt,

PM me your info so we can possibly hook up. My car is an S.

Anthony

Last edited by florindi; 05-20-2007 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:28 AM
DCI
DCI is infamous around these parts
Has anyone seen this version of the stock exhaust hack. I had it on my old car and really liked it. Do you think there are any internal mods or just the bypass?

Last edited by DCI; 04-07-2008 at 11:28 AM. Reason: typo