997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

First Oil Change- How many miles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 07:45 AM
gravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TrailBraker
Is your statement truly a fact or an opinion?
Opinion. I challenge anyone to find a testing lab that will back that opinion. I'm sure you can find magazine articles to support almost any statement in support of their advertisers.

Originally Posted by JCS
I find it incredible that some people can believe that old, dirty oil will lubricate and cool an engine better than fresh new oil . Lol
Perfect example of applying 3rd grade level of science to PhD levels of mechanics. The same logic would say that fresh new tires provide better traction than scuffed tires with 80% tread left.

Last edited by gravedgr; 05-22-2007 at 07:50 AM.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:34 AM
NeunElf is infamous around these parts
Frequent oil changes can do more harm than good

Everytime you change, then start your engine,their is a few moments where the eng oil light comes on until pressure is registered.

This can be mitigated somewhat if you prime your oil filter, but still the more frequently you change, the more you are exposing the moving parts to operation without oil pressure, over time this adds up!

I see NO reason why PCNA would reccomend any interval that would harm your engine!

Old 05-22-2007, 03:19 PM
JCS
JCS is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by NeunElf
I see NO reason why PCNA would reccomend any interval that would harm your engine!

Fair enough .
Does Porsche warn you NOT to change the oil too frequently ?

Here is what can happen with the new, longer intervals :

The engine in my wifes Audi seized at ~ 66 k miles . Just 16 k miles past the warranty .
It used only synthetic oil , with changes every 10 k miles, per manufacturers recommendations.

Toyota settled a class action law suit, involving over 3 million of their cars , including Lexus .They agreed to extend their engine warranty and reimburse all previous engine sludge related costs.
Some of their engines broke down at less than 40 k miles .

ALL manufacturers have similar issues .
Audi and recently Saab , quietly extended their engine warranties from 4 to 8 years ( for the same sludge related reasons)

I don't care how often you change your oil . I don't buy used cars .Never have , never will and I don't own a Jiffy lube joint .

I just thought I would pass on my rather unpleasant experience caused by the new "manufacturer recommended " oil change intervals .

Old 05-22-2007, 03:45 PM
C2S4ME is infamous around these parts
The oil sludge problem with Lexus engines has nothing to do with the manufacturer’s oil change interval but in the consumer going well beyond what is recommended by Lexus for oil changes.

Lexus does not recommend the use of synthetic oil nor do they have extended oil change intervals but oil changes are called for every 5,000 miles. The sludge problem has been found in engines where the consumer had not changed the oil for 15,000 to 20,000 miles.

To short-circuit any bad will from the sludge problem Lexus has initiated a policy referred as SPA (Special Policy Adjustment) to take care of any knuckleheaded consumers that don’t think they need to adhere to the manufacturer’s oil change interval and are unwilling to take responsibility for their own stupidity.

Old 05-22-2007, 05:45 PM
JCS
JCS is infamous around these parts
C2S4ME .
Toyota builds other cars besides Lexus.

But thank you for proving my point . It's better to change the oil more often than not .
And that is what this discussion is all about.

Btw: oil sludge has nothing to do with the type of oil , synthetic or otherwise.
It is caused by combustion byproducts , dirt ( don't use oiled air filters ) and other things.

Is Lexus the only car left that uses Dynosaur juice ? Lol

Last edited by JCS; 05-22-2007 at 05:50 PM.
Old 05-26-2007, 03:11 AM
2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold2thfixr is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by gravedgr
Yes.

Anyone who tells you that you should change it more often is doing so based off a) personal (not professional) opinion, or b) evidence based off outdated oils and engine types. It is just factually not necessary to change the oil more often than 1x/year or 15-20k miles with today advanced synthetics.

Most people don't REALLY search the internet to find the truth, but to back up their pre-conceived, anecdotal-based opinions. If you want the factual evidence from people who design and work with this stuff (i.e. the engineering types, not shade-tree mechanics), do a search on rennlist for posts by Doug Hillary. He's probably the most knowlegeable person in the Porsche community, and works with data from research laboratories like Blackstone labs. You can also search for other trials using data from Blackstone.

In fact, one study showed that changing the initial oil early was more damaging than leaving it in as initial loads are sometimes custom built to aid with engine break-in and help contribute to long-term life.

EDIT: speaking of Blackstone.... https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=83693
I actually asked my Porsche tech if I should change the oil prior to the regular interval and he actually told me that even if I wanted him to do it, he wouldn't. Without a detailed explanation, he said that it would be better to stick with the reg interval. I have 8700 miles on mine so far and I have added about 3 quarts so I figure that by the time the car is ready for an oil change, a substantial amount of the oil will have already been changed.

Old 05-26-2007, 08:14 AM
gravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 2thfixr
I actually asked my Porsche tech if I should change the oil prior to the regular interval and he actually told me that even if I wanted him to do it, he wouldn't. Without a detailed explanation, he said that it would be better to stick with the reg interval. I have 8700 miles on mine so far and I have added about 3 quarts so I figure that by the time the car is ready for an oil change, a substantial amount of the oil will have already been changed.
That's interesting feedback from your tech. Have you asked them to take a look to determine why you're burning so much oil? I have almost 8900 miles on mine and have added less than half a quart, and I do mostly daily driving in traffic.

Old 05-26-2007, 10:55 AM
500 is infamous around these parts500 is infamous around these parts
Porsche is the last one that wants engine problems and increased warranty expenses. In addition, since Porsche does not pay for regularly scheduled maint. they are not advocating longer term intervals for their own selfish/economical reasons. Now with that said I trluy don't believe changing the oil & filter more frequently will cause any problems and may even have some benefits but I doubt they will be of any significance since Porsche is using highly advanced synthetic oil, top quality filters and the engines are finished to much more excating tolerances which all add up to different maint. procedures than what we may have been used to and the convetional wisdom of the past.