997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

First Oil Change- How many miles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 10:03 AM
mass is infamous around these parts
First Oil Change- How many miles

I always thought you were supposed to change the oil after the break in period - 2k miles. Most other performance cars recommend that. Is everyone here really waiting for 1 year or 20k miles?

Old 05-19-2007, 11:28 AM
raffi is infamous around these parts
there are tons of post and different ideas on this, but i think most of the people who are **** enough to think about things like this change right after break in. the only people on here who will argue that say that porsche puts in some special break in oil formula that is supposed to stay in longer, for the recommended intervals.
my car has around 15000 miles and i changed the oil like 4 or 5 times already.

Old 05-19-2007, 11:31 AM
PbPedis is infamous around these parts
I did mine at the one year mark at about 5000 km, but I store mine over the winter and did it just before putting it away. Since you likely drive yours all year long, you don't need to do this. Personally though, I wouldn't wait the 2 yr/20,000 mile duration. At a minimum, I would do it yearly.

Old 05-19-2007, 12:10 PM
JCS
JCS is infamous around these parts
I changed mine after ~ 2k miles and every ~ 5k miles or at least once a year after that.
I consider it cheap insurance.

I guess it depends on how long you intend to keep the car or how much you care about it . Lol

Do a little on-line research on "engine sludge" and decide for yourself.

Old 05-19-2007, 07:56 PM
wbellinz is infamous around these parts
Changed it after 3k and will do once a year, since I'll put under 5k miles / year.

Old 05-19-2007, 08:38 PM
gravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mass
Is everyone here really waiting for 1 year or 20k miles?
Yes.

Anyone who tells you that you should change it more often is doing so based off a) personal (not professional) opinion, or b) evidence based off outdated oils and engine types. It is just factually not necessary to change the oil more often than 1x/year or 15-20k miles with today advanced synthetics.

Most people don't REALLY search the internet to find the truth, but to back up their pre-conceived, anecdotal-based opinions. If you want the factual evidence from people who design and work with this stuff (i.e. the engineering types, not shade-tree mechanics), do a search on rennlist for posts by Doug Hillary. He's probably the most knowlegeable person in the Porsche community, and works with data from research laboratories like Blackstone labs. You can also search for other trials using data from Blackstone.

In fact, one study showed that changing the initial oil early was more damaging than leaving it in as initial loads are sometimes custom built to aid with engine break-in and help contribute to long-term life.

EDIT: speaking of Blackstone.... https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=83693

Last edited by gravedgr; 05-19-2007 at 09:02 PM.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by gravedgr
Yes.

Anyone who tells you that you should change it more often is doing so based off a) personal (not professional) opinion, or b) evidence based off outdated oils and engine types. It is just factually not necessary to change the oil more often than 1x/year or 15-20k miles with today advanced synthetics.

Most people don't REALLY search the internet to find the truth, but to back up their pre-conceived, anecdotal-based opinions. If you want the factual evidence from people who design and work with this stuff (i.e. the engineering types, not shade-tree mechanics), do a search on rennlist for posts by Doug Hillary. He's probably the most knowlegeable person in the Porsche community, and works with data from research laboratories like Blackstone labs. You can also search for other trials using data from Blackstone.

In fact, one study showed that changing the initial oil early was more damaging than leaving it in as initial loads are sometimes custom built to aid with engine break-in and help contribute to long-term life.

EDIT: speaking of Blackstone.... https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ad.php?t=83693
Thank you for your informative response. I agree with you and always thought that people who changed their oil earlier or did other types of premature maintenance were driven by their own beliefs that this would be protecting the engine and enhancing the longevity of the car. I do not think that the engineers who designed this complicated car would recommend changing the oil at 20k miles if they did not truly think it was the correct approach. I will change mine after 1 year. Thanks again for your insight.

Old 05-19-2007, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by gravedgr
Yes.

Out of curiosity, the link you posted states that the next oil change should be 3k miles later. Thoughts?

Old 05-20-2007, 05:49 AM
pilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nice
The more often you change the oil the more the engine will last and be a performer!
That's sure

Old 05-21-2007, 10:13 AM
gravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond reputegravedgr has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mass
Out of curiosity, the link you posted states that the next oil change should be 3k miles later. Thoughts?
I re-read the link and I didn't see that recommendation. I see the owner saying he changed the oil at 1500 and 4500, but I don't see him saying that you should. Am I missing it somewhere?

Old 05-21-2007, 11:08 AM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
Those you who use a less filtering air intake than stock and who have accepted the burnig of oil as "normal" and therefore not corrected it, should change their oil more frequently. It has liitte to do with oil breakdown, but because of contaminants in the oil.

One thing is for sure...it will not be Porsche who is the first to manufacture a sealed crankcase because they can't keep oil in many of them now.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:08 PM
TrailBraker is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by pilone
The more often you change the oil the more the engine will last and be a performer!
That's sure
Is your statement truly a fact or an opinion?

Old 05-22-2007, 05:45 AM
pilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nicepilone is just really nice
Originally Posted by TrailBraker
Is your statement truly a fact or an opinion?
Well...considering I read it on Evo Magazine, then that's a real statement

Old 05-22-2007, 06:08 AM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
I gotta start a magazine...then I can print whatever I want and it will be considered the truth...even i there is no basis in fact.

Old 05-22-2007, 06:15 AM
JCS
JCS is infamous around these parts

I find it incredible that some people can believe that old, dirty oil will lubricate and cool an engine better than fresh new oil . Lol

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: First Oil Change- How many miles