997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 vs Cayman.. Is this a good Buy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 07:56 AM
david7979 is infamous around these parts
Thank you all.. I m looking for road car not a track car.

Does anyone know where I can find good deals on Used 911?? i m looking at autotrader and cars.com at the moment.

One that I saw for $63k has barely any option. It only has navi, heated seats, sunroof. Only thing that I like about it is 9k miles. is this worth buying for $63k?? or do you guys think that I can find a better deal?

I wish I can get 911 S but dont have enough money...

Old 05-24-2007, 08:54 AM
SD1
SD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by david7979
Thank you all.. I m looking for road car not a track car.

Does anyone know where I can find good deals on Used 911?? i m looking at autotrader and cars.com at the moment.

One that I saw for $63k has barely any option. It only has navi, heated seats, sunroof. Only thing that I like about it is 9k miles. is this worth buying for $63k?? or do you guys think that I can find a better deal?

I wish I can get 911 S but dont have enough money...
A friend recently sold a very loaded 05 C2 tip with full leather, PASM, sportec rims, bose etc.. with 14K miles for 64.5K.

I would think with some shopping you could find something close to that. It took it him a couple months to sell it.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:01 AM
H-MAN is infamous around these parts
I'd go with the 911 as well. The Cayman's won't hold their value like a 911 will.

As for a good deal I'd give this dealer a call to see if this car is still around.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3527&rd=1&rd=1

Old 05-24-2007, 09:30 AM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
Even though I think the Cayman S is more fun - right now I'd have to say that my first P-car is going to be some sort of 997.

I'm looking at the P-car for a daily and keeping the S2000 for auto-x/track days. Otherwise I'd probably get a used Cayman S.

I love the full leather interior in the 911 and don't really find the Cayman interior all that compelling - even with the full leather.

Plus - the wifey in her infinite wisdom said "if you get a Cayman you'll probably regret not getting a 911!"

If trovan's were white or black - I'd buy his!

Last edited by lig; 05-24-2007 at 10:20 AM.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:54 AM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by lig
Even though I think the Cayman S is more fun - right now I'd have to say that my first P-car is going to be some sort of 997.

I'm looking at the P-car for a daily and keeping the S2000 for auto-x/track days. Otherwise I'd probably get a used Cayman S.

I love the full leather interior in the 911 and don't really find the Cayman interior all that compelling - even with the full leather.

Plus - the wifey in her infinite wisdom said "if you get a Cayman you'll probably regret not getting a 911!"

If trovan's were white or black - I'd buy his!
kopykat. lol. i look for 997 c2s everyday online.
finally 2 days ago i put my foot down and ordered one.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:03 AM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
i like your style.

did you get 9% off on an ordered car? I'm trying to keep it to 75K or so and getting a pretty well optioned/cpo'd S

Old 05-24-2007, 11:35 AM
plantagenet is infamous around these parts
911 these days however is further from its original concept than the Cayman S is to the original 911s.

Dont get me wrong I would love a 911 and in a 997 versus Boxster S or Cayman S I would prefer the 997. However they really aernt the same money.

987s should be really compared in price terms to 996s or 993s. At this level there are some very compelling arguements for each car. 987 is cheaper to run than a 993 for example and also cheaper to insure. The 993 is oure old school 911 and will hold its values better. My daily mind arguement is if I had the money would I take a 987 or 993 C4s or a 996 C4s. All these cars have there pros and cons and all are roughly the same money.

If you are planning on using the car every day however it is amazing how useful those small rear seats are (adults can actually get in them unlike the ones is aTT). You can get in toss your bag in the back or if need be transport 3 other people with you over a short distance kids over a longer one. These are obviously not even options with the Cayman. If it was me I would go and test drive both even if you already know which one you want. Then as I took the keys out of the ignition I would sit there and think how glorious it would be if all problems were as interesting as this one.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:44 AM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
if this is ur first Pcar let the experience be with 911. even if the Cayman S might be a better packaged car u'll regret not getting the 911. or u'll be upgrading to a 997 C2S in the near future. i think that's what will happen from my experience. after experiencing pretty much all the 911 models i actually want to have a Cayman just to play around. i can see Cayman's advantage over the regular 911 but it's hard for the 1st time buyer to option that over 911.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:54 AM
LIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant futureLIL RAJA has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by lig
i like your style.

did you get 9% off on an ordered car? I'm trying to keep it to 75K or so and getting a pretty well optioned/cpo'd S
got X.YZ% off ordered car with free floor mats. I am happy.
i pmed you. for 5k more you can have 08 model. think about resale value.
plus the fun of having the cherry. :-)

Last edited by LIL RAJA; 05-24-2007 at 12:25 PM.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:57 AM
lig
That's a hot deal! PM replied. Will the '08s have the LEDs?

Old 05-24-2007, 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by lig
That's a hot deal! PM replied. Will the '08s have the LEDs?
i was told there are some new updates but leds were not confirmed.
and i was told DSG is def. not in as far as i was told. I would be so happy if they are LEDs.

but yeah,

Old 05-24-2007, 03:32 PM
Chris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond reputeChris from Cali has a reputation beyond repute
There are 997Ses out there in the mid-$70K range. Just do some looking...

Old 05-24-2007, 03:50 PM
MSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud ofMSCaymanS has much to be proud of
I test drove both and liked the Cayman S better as far as driving feel and looks. Definitely liked the power in the C2S better. After having my car for over a year I drove another C2S and still walked away with the same feelings. Drive both and get which one puts the biggest smile on your face.

Old 05-24-2007, 04:03 PM
JRL
JRL is infamous around these parts
I went through a similar exercise 2 months ago. I set my price bar in the mid 60's then started looking. Cayman S, CS, 996 TT you name it - I found a guards red, loaded to the gills, low mileage 02 TT that fit my price and have never looked back - I love it. I got the car through a high line wholesale buddy so I saved about 7 - 10 K.

I cut my Porsche teeth way back in 74 when I bought my Carrera and have owned a few since then - the current car (TT) is the best one yet.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:24 PM
171mph is infamous around these parts
I also posted this in the Cayman links. Did I mention u can fit 2 sets of golf clubs in a Cayman S and still have the whole front boot to use?!

Get a 2006 Cayman S - cost about $50k. use the ~$10k you save to buy a header/exhaust upgrade and Bilstein pss9 suspension. If you ever have an engine issue just swap back the headers and take it in. No warranty issue then.

Trust me, you will knock the pants of equal ability 2005 or 2006 Carrera drivers.
You get a better handling car (mid engine + PSS9 suspension) over the 997 carrera with near equal hp (Millteks add about 20hp).

There's a reason Ruf chose the Cayman for its new supercar.
No brainer, unless you really like saying you drive a 911!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 vs Cayman.. Is this a good Buy?