997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Sport Exhaust Vs. PSE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 06:32 PM
jlturpin is infamous around these parts
If the EVO exhaust is just louder than PSE and has very little drone, that may be a better option, and 1K less. I guess that is the real hold up, the PSE seems to be 600-1K more than most exhaust systems, and will a real pain to install the wiring, the TSB for install is 18 pages. If I go with an aftermarket system, it should be an hour or so under the car for swap out. Thanks for all the quick feedback, maybe I can make a decision after I get some more feedback on the EVO system. I also considered the Milltek, but read some complaints of drone, it was on a 997TT, but it was the only real review I could find other than those who had it installed on Audis, which will have a completely different sound. Decisions are tough with a mild case of OCD

Old 06-06-2007, 09:26 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Very little drone with my Fabspeed...only slightly at around 1900-2000 rpm at cracked throttle. Cruising at 2400rpm and up no drone and hardly any exhaust noise at all.
I drove a PSE car for 2 days and the exhaust note is the same volume inside the car as the Fabspeed I own. I also demo'd a Tubi car and it is very quiet at idle and cruising around...almost stock sounding until you step on it. The Tubi sounds more nasal/higher pitched than Fabspeed or AWE which have a lower tone of note than both the PSE and Tubi.
If you like the option of having the sound or turning it off and having a really nice sound and do not care about the added weight then PSE is the way to go. I bet you will find PSE not really that loud and you will want it "on" all the time. I just did not want to spend another $1300 to get PSE over the cost of Fabspeed. I like the Fabspeed cup car sound and weight savings. You will not feel any more power on the butt dyno with any muffler change.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by mdrums
Very little drone with my Fabspeed...only slightly at around 1900-2000 rpm at cracked throttle. Cruising at 2400rpm and up no drone and hardly any exhaust noise at all.
I drove a PSE car for 2 days and the exhaust note is the same volume inside the car as the Fabspeed I own. I also demo'd a Tubi car and it is very quiet at idle and cruising around...almost stock sounding until you step on it. The Tubi sounds more nasal/higher pitched than Fabspeed or AWE which have a lower tone of note than both the PSE and Tubi.
If you like the option of having the sound or turning it off and having a really nice sound and do not care about the added weight then PSE is the way to go. I bet you will find PSE not really that loud and you will want it "on" all the time. I just did not want to spend another $1300 to get PSE over the cost of Fabspeed. I like the Fabspeed cup car sound and weight savings. You will not feel any more power on the butt dyno with any muffler change.
OK, now back to square 1. If the fabspeed has a little drone, I can live with it, if it has a nice sound. I'll do some more searching for audio clips. Also, the EVO exhaust sounds appealing. I want atleast PSE sound levels, and as little drone as possible.

If I find any other good audio clips of others, I'll put them in this thread.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:36 PM
ggh
ggh is infamous around these parts
I've got the PSE, it is just awesome! I simply love my car now... Here's a clip I've done (not PSE dedicated) but where you can check out the sound of the PSE. Let me know if you like it

http://www.zippyvideos.com/830461883.../head2headweb/

Last edited by ggh; 06-06-2007 at 11:39 PM.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:39 PM
iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !iLLM3 Is a GOD !
PSE revving in a garage on colder start sounds like a Gallardo, best sounding exhaust for the car!

Old 06-07-2007, 02:19 AM
MeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of lightMeanMachine is a glorious beacon of light
PSE is great, I would just add aftermarket headers , aftermarket cats and air intake.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:49 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ggh
I've got the PSE, it is just awesome! I simply love my car now... Here's a clip I've done (not PSE dedicated) but where you can check out the sound of the PSE. Let me know if you like it

http://www.zippyvideos.com/830461883.../head2headweb/
Neat video and interesting effects.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:10 AM
Nice video. Thanks for all the information. I'll follow up when I make the purchase. Again, thanks for all the great reviews.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:54 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JCS
Don't expect any hp increase worth mentioning from mufflers.
Change your muffles for a different sound, not performance.

If you do some research , you will notice that there is a direct relationship
between quality/reputation of the manufacturers and the exaggerations.

The cheaper the product , the more ridiculous the performance "claims " Lol
I agree - big numbers claimed for performance gains are hard to believe...but shouldn't there be some gain - we sure see a lot of dyno charts that show gains. Also, how about the impact of reduced back pressure and reduced temps on the the TT?

Old 06-07-2007, 09:17 AM
mass is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by JCS
Don't expect any hp increase worth mentioning from mufflers.
Change your muffles for a different sound, not performance.

If you do some research , you will notice that there is a direct relationship
between quality/reputation of the manufacturers and the exaggerations.

The cheaper the product , the more ridiculous the performance "claims " Lol
I agree. I've narrowed my choices to AWE and Fabspeed, not sure which way to go.

Old 06-07-2007, 10:55 AM
peterm is infamous around these parts
My input FWIW- I had a 996c4s 02 they did not as yet offer pse in that model. I went for Fabspeed upgrade lived with it for three months but the drone at idle in traffic was fatiguing, so much so I had it removed.

I now have a 997 c2s with PSE and would not have it any other way!

Old 06-07-2007, 12:39 PM
mass is infamous around these parts
Does everyone here share JCSs' view? I agree to some extent on muffler alone producing gains OR intake alone. But, I though headers and cats made a noticeable difference which is why the X51 package uses more efficient and larger headers.

People should chime in who have done 6k of mods and let us know your thoughts. Btw, have u guys noticed that the base dyno results at the major exhause companies are less than the 355HP claimed by the factory? Why is that?

Old 06-07-2007, 12:46 PM
dndodd is infamous around these parts
355hp is at the crank. Aftermarket is at the wheel. There is always a loss of HP through the Trans and diff.

I think what somone said about not expecting gains with just the muffler is probably true. Realeasing the Back pressure through Headers and most importantly free flowing cats is where the HP is at. IMO.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:06 PM
DOGDOG7 is infamous around these parts
my opinion is if you are looking for hp increase, don't expect the exhaust will do it (including aftermarket or pse...). however, the exhaust can produce a sporty sound and encourage you to drive faster and faster

Old 06-07-2007, 01:21 PM
I agree, I don't really expect any power gains from any muffler system, unless its on a forced induction car. I am not going the route of full exhaust system on the 997. The PSE will give me the sound I desire and I have NO expectations of any gains in power. Also important, it was developed for the car by the engineers at Porsche. I am also of the school of thought that if you reduce back pressure, you loose low end torque on a NA car. I also think the "cold air intakes" reduce the amount of isolation of the intake noise, allowing you to hear the intake system working, but again, I doubt if you get 12-15 hp there either.

I think the common figure used to get wheel HP from Crank is about a 15-20% loss through the drive train.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sport Exhaust Vs. PSE