997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Sport Exhaust Vs. PSE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 01:05 PM
jlturpin is infamous around these parts
Sport Exhaust Vs. PSE

I know there are varied opinions on the PSE vs Aftermarket sport exhaust. I am looking for the best of both worlds, no drone, great sound (the ability to turn it off if I want is nice). I don't mind the extra weight as this will be a street driven car, with few if any track days.

In my search I have read, listened and asked many questions. I am really close to purchasing the PSE and have found the video clip that has helped most of all. It may be a repost, but it was much more helpful to me than any other.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85143TXV0Ug

Old 06-06-2007, 01:22 PM
stsanford is infamous around these parts
That video is very accurate.
I just got a 997 C4 with factory PSE. WOW!
It sounds like a mini cup car! Very cool, and the defeat switch is excellent if you want to carry on a conversation in the car, or take a cell phone call. Even with it switched on, its' not that overbearing. Personally I'd like to have it about 10% louder at idle and 15% at WOT, but that's just my opinion.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by stsanford
That video is very accurate.
I just got a 997 C4 with factory PSE. WOW!
It sounds like a mini cup car! Very cool, and the defeat switch is excellent if you want to carry on a conversation in the car, or take a cell phone call. Even with it switched on, its' not that overbearing. Personally I'd like to have it about 10% louder at idle and 15% at WOT, but that's just my opinion.
Being able to talk across the car without yelling, and being able to hear on the phone (I loosing my hearing as fast as I am loosing my hair).

I know there are louder exhaust out there, but none as versatile as the PSE. Drone is also a big concern, already not being able to hear, the drone would be impossible to deal with. I had a modified 951, bad drone and it actually destroyed the rear seat cushion over time due to the sound it created. When I removed the seat cushion that was on the exhaust side of the car, it was like powder. Not to mention, my hearing was for crap for 30 minutes after getting out of the car.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:34 PM
mishref is infamous around these parts
If you want to unleash the PSE; I suggest you get a Evo-Intake. It makes the WOT even that much better.

Old 06-06-2007, 02:03 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mishref
If you want to unleash the PSE; I suggest you get a Evo-Intake. It makes the WOT even that much better.
Looks like he already has the EVO intake. I think the PSE has a great sound - being able to turn on and off is a real plus. I never had any drone.

Old 06-06-2007, 03:46 PM
I do not have the EVO VFlow on the 997S, it was on the Touareg TDI, but I sold it to a Cayenne TT owner since all it really did on the Touareg was increase cabin noise. No gains in performance or fuel economy. With the wife driving the Touareg on a daily basis, I put the factory boxes back in place.

Old 06-06-2007, 04:04 PM
dndodd is infamous around these parts
Every long term test on 2005 cars I read the PSE was returned for warranty issues. Aftermarket for me.

Old 06-06-2007, 04:13 PM
mass is infamous around these parts
Anyone compare the PSE to fabspeed and AWE for idle, WOT, and drone?

Old 06-06-2007, 04:55 PM
DOGDOG7 is infamous around these parts
I just got my EVO exhaust install last week
The sound is between PSE and AWE, just perfect

Old 06-06-2007, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by DOGDOG7
I just got my EVO exhaust install last week
The sound is between PSE and AWE, just perfect
How much drone compared to stock? Since I have not actually heard the AWE or EVO, is the EVO louder than PSE? Please let me know.

Do you have the PSE take off from your car or did you upgrade from the stock S exhaust?

Old 06-06-2007, 05:15 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mass
Anyone compare the PSE to fabspeed and AWE for idle, WOT, and drone?
Yes I did. The PSE does sound awesome but to me the Fabspeed sounds more like a Cup car at WOT than anything else. PSE and Fabspeed are all about the same volume level out side the car. What some call drome other call engine/exhaust sound...PSE has exhaust sound too inside the car. At Highway speeds I can hardly hear the exhaust sound on my car until I step on it. Fabspeed and AWE sound a little lower (rumble) in tone than PSE.

Old 06-06-2007, 05:36 PM
What I call drone is not engine noise, it is a continuous tone or pitch, normally a low frequency sound that emanates in the cabin during normal driving.

The "Drone" after time is like running a gas blower at WOT for the time you are driving, not the noise level, but the constant tone and the effect it has on your ears for a period of time after you turn off the device.

Also, another example that comes to mind. I had a powered sub go crazy after a power surge, it seemed to be constantly firing several times a second until it was unplugged. Again, a continuous note or chord is drone. Exhaust noise is great, outside the car and with the top or windows down. That is the reason I want to get another exhaust, I love the beautiful sound of the 911 with a great exhaust.

Old 06-06-2007, 05:41 PM
mass is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mdrums
Yes I did. The PSE does sound awesome but to me the Fabspeed sounds more like a Cup car at WOT than anything else. PSE and Fabspeed are all about the same volume level out side the car. What some call drome other call engine/exhaust sound...PSE has exhaust sound too inside the car. At Highway speeds I can hardly hear the exhaust sound on my car until I step on it. Fabspeed and AWE sound a little lower (rumble) in tone than PSE.
Thanks for the info. To sum up, it sounds like you recommend Fabspeed for your tastes. I've been trying to decide between fabspeed and awe for quite some time. All about the same price. Not sure how PSE is the only one that doesn't "claim" HP increase from the exhaust alone.

Any thoughts?

Old 06-06-2007, 05:46 PM
DOGDOG7 is infamous around these parts
The drone of course is little bit louder but sound great.
If you want to hear the exhaust sound , you may first check out Fabspeed clip. EVO exhaust is made by Fabspeed, but with lower sound level.
FABSPEED 10/10, AWE 9/10, EVO 7/10, PSE 6/10...STOCK

Old 06-06-2007, 06:09 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jlturpin
What I call drone is not engine noise, it is a continuous tone or pitch, normally a low frequency sound that emanates in the cabin during normal driving.

The "Drone" after time is like running a gas blower at WOT for the time you are driving, not the noise level, but the constant tone and the effect it has on your ears for a period of time after you turn off the device.

Also, another example that comes to mind. I had a powered sub go crazy after a power surge, it seemed to be constantly firing several times a second until it was unplugged. Again, a continuous note or chord is drone. Exhaust noise is great, outside the car and with the top or windows down. That is the reason I want to get another exhaust, I love the beautiful sound of the 911 with a great exhaust.
I have found drone to really be exacerbated in cars with automatic transmissions. With manual tranmissions it's easier to not get locked in fixed RPM range.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sport Exhaust Vs. PSE