997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

C2S or SL55?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 06:04 PM
sal
sal has a spectacular aura aboutsal has a spectacular aura about
We've got an 05 C2S cab and the ride is very smooth compared to that of the 996tt. I've only riden around in the tt a few times but i can see a substantial improvement in ride quality due to the PASM. And IMO the porsche is so much more sporty and aggressive looking than the SL.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:12 PM
DFW911T is infamous around these partsDFW911T is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Mussel Kar
...Both ride very well but I think the SL has a lot less body roll, active suspension AMG style.
Interesting comment, I drove an SL55 a while back and was not impressed with the ABC which was surprising because it works really well on my CL.

Thanks to all for the comments.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:10 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
what u have asked for makes the SL a better choice, for ur need.

Old 06-09-2007, 12:44 AM
Originally Posted by 20C4S
what u have asked for makes the SL a better choice, for ur need.
On balance, I agree.
My heart isn't in it yet.

Old 06-09-2007, 08:45 AM
Mussel Kar is a jewel in the roughMussel Kar is a jewel in the roughMussel Kar is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by DFW911T
On balance, I agree.
My heart isn't in it yet.
I would give you a ride if you were in the Boston area. Pulls like a freight train because of massive low rpm torque. SL is comfy but drives/feels heavy (2+ tons) compared to my C2S BUT, it is a heavy pig dancing on P zeros and the handling will surprise you. I was totally amazed at what that car could do at the AMG challenge on a slalom course.

Old 06-09-2007, 11:07 AM
JCS
JCS is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by DFW911T
Here's my dilemma .....Most of my driving (8,000 miles p/yr) is on the highway back and forth to my office. The good news is that I get to hammer the car for 130+ mph everyday.

Here is MY "dilemma"
I can't quite figure out if you're just a bragging Jerk, or a real Moron.

You claim to routinely, every day go over 130 mph on a public highway ?
That may be fine on the Autobahn, where people are used to and trained for that kind of driving. But not here in the US.

Get yourself a 'Vette . PLEASE.
It's guys like you who give the rest of us MB and Porsche owners
the bad reputation we seem to have.

I suppose you think you're above the law just because you can afford
a good car ?
I find your callous disregard for the safety of others appalling.

I hope they nail your stupid , immature *** to the wall one of these days, before you kill some innocent bystander .

Or am I the only one missing something here ?

Last edited by JCS; 06-09-2007 at 11:13 AM.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by JCS
Here is MY "dilemma"
I can't quite figure out if you're just a bragging Jerk, or a real Moron.

You claim to routinely, every day go over 130 mph on a public highway ?
That may be fine on the Autobahn, where people are used to and trained for that kind of driving. But not here in the US.

Get yourself a 'Vette . PLEASE.
It's guys like you who give the rest of us MB and Porsche owners
the bad reputation we seem to have.

I suppose you think you're above the law just because you can afford
a good car ?
I find your callous disregard for the safety of others appalling.

I hope they nail your stupid , immature *** to the wall one of these days, before you kill some innocent bystander .

Or am I the only one missing something here ?
What you're missing is the location of where the 130+ takes place - but everyone else missed that too.

However, you were the only one mature enough to pose a reasonably expressed question of whether this behavior endangered others or not.

Just so that you can sleep, knowing that I am not sullying your high end image, here's where it all happens:

There's a two lane entrance ramp to a highway that's roughly (I've never measured it) about 3/4's of a mile long. During my commute time there is NO traffic on this road. I mean not 1 car on the same piece of road. There is a sweeping curve at the end (the last 1/4 mi.) of the 2 lane which requires hard braking on approach and then leads onto the highway where I merge into extremely light traffic at about 70.

No motorists (except me, a risk which I assume you are willing to take) or pedestrians are endangered as it's a limited access road and I'm on the only access. In the interest of full disclosure, a bird did sacrifice himself to my grill on this road.

I hope that calms your fear and loathing, thanks for playing.

Old 06-09-2007, 11:54 AM
mass is infamous around these parts
I'm with JCS on this one. I'd rather have you sacrificed to the grill of someone's truck rather than the bird.

Old 06-09-2007, 01:58 PM
dndodd is infamous around these parts
The C2S with ceramic brakes has an excellent ride. The noise with Pirellis is not good better with Mich PS 2's. I am sure the Mercedes is quieter.

Old 06-09-2007, 04:13 PM
Mussel Kar is a jewel in the roughMussel Kar is a jewel in the roughMussel Kar is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Marc997GT3
Mussel Kar you have a nice bit of work to the 55 must haul as*

As well what did you not like about the TT I am curious as you know I sold mine as well I am sure.
The problem was that the 997TT felt like a fat old road boat whenever I drove it after having driven the GT3 RS the day before. I also wanted a NA engine for the throttle response. It was a real hoot (TT) on a wet race track though. The SL55 K2 registered massive power on my butt dyno, far more than the 997TT. It was only the sensation though. From a 40 mph roll TT and K2 were almost dead even to 140, TT slightly creeping forward.
SL55 for low rpm stump pulling instant torque, C2S as a nimble road machine. They compliment each other nicely.

OT but I did my first burnout with the K2 last week. Tremendous roar with big clouds of smoke. In less than 20 feet the AMG transmission was already in 2nd gear and the tires were spinning so fast that there was no interruption in the black stripes on the pavement.

Stock SL55 has a deep throaty roar (wot) that is just about addicting. It' heavy but it handles well, just don't look for a lot of road feel. At 160 the ride is almost boring. Car is planted like glue to the road with no drama at all.
C2S is also an enjoyable car to drive and feels/drives a lot lighter. Only got 350 miles so far so no WOT comparisons available yet.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by mass
I'm with JCS on this one. I'd rather have you sacrificed to the grill of someone's truck rather than the bird.
Your vote has been recorded, but you're mass, in fact Super Mass and your credibility is suspect at best.

I'll take a rip from JCS, but you ... nahhh.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by Mussel Kar
I would give you a ride if you were in the Boston area. Pulls like a freight train because of massive low rpm torque. SL is comfy but drives/feels heavy (2+ tons) compared to my C2S BUT, it is a heavy pig dancing on P zeros and the handling will surprise you. I was totally amazed at what that car could do at the AMG challenge on a slalom course.
Mussel, post your thoughts after you break in the C2S.
I'm sure the SL is a surprising performer in skilled hands, I just need to make a move and say goodbye to the luxo-barge CL.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:50 PM
2ndtime is infamous around these parts
If you had a 996 drove a benz and like it stay with the marshmallow ride.

I went from a 996c to an E55 and stopped driving the benz in less than one year. but a 997c and would never again by a benz.

If you like soft and quiet on the highway, buy the german buick, otherwise known as a MB.

Old 06-09-2007, 10:33 PM
mishref is infamous around these parts
I wouldn't get the SL .. the car is due for a makeover any day now. As with most new mercs .. they don't age well and depriciation is a *****.

Old 06-10-2007, 06:57 AM
Originally Posted by 2ndtime
If you had a 996 drove a benz and like it stay with the marshmallow ride.

I went from a 996c to an E55 and stopped driving the benz in less than one year. but a 997c and would never again by a benz.

If you like soft and quiet on the highway, buy the german buick, otherwise known as a MB.
SL55 and E55 have very different rides. My SL is always in sport mode and the ride is like the 997TT in reg mode. And the *** of the C2S just has far to much roll for me, getting mods to fix that. C2S is still a joy to drive.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C2S or SL55?