997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Installed my X51 headers/AWE cats and mufflers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 10:12 AM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
Installed my X51 headers/AWE cats and mufflers

Last Fri. I installed my X51 headers and AWE cats (200 cpi) with my AWE mufflers. The install took about 3.5 hrs. that includes the removal of the OEM components. I did the install completely on ramps by myself without any help at all. My overall impressions:

1. Sound-the sound is fantastic, the beautiful burble along with the nice deep throatiness below 4k rpm is fantastic. I found no droning at all with the AWE mufflers at any rpm. I posted awhile back about how I felt the AWE mufflers were to tame for me with the rest of the exhaust system being OEM. While I do feel I want a more aggressive muffler (I love it loud, in fact thinking of going with muffler bypass) and will probably still go the Borla route (love the way they sound), the AWE's are actually a very good sounding muffler. From the 4-6k rpm they car absolutely screams, above this you can hear the difference but it's not so dramatic like it is from 4-6k rpm.

2. Power Increase-I waited for at least a 100 miles for adaption before I gave any impressions of how much of a power increase there was. I didn't get a chasssis dyno done before hand so of course this is all subjective. I am using my many years of drag racing experience and a very well calibrated butt dyno. There is definitely a power increase from the 4k rpm range up, I noticed no loss in low end tq. In fact my midrange power is so much better along with the throttle response I may forego software until I get the rest of my mods done to tie everything together. I do believe the exhaust by itself is probably only worth 10-15rwhp at the top end of the tach, while in the midrange it probably is worth a tad more. I plan on getting a X51 airbox, throttle body for my next set of mods and this should compliment the exhaust even more.

3. Fit- Well what can be said, it fit perfect. The X51 headers are OEM and the AWE cats fit perfectly with the X51 headers. One of the reasons I chose the X51 and didn't go with the AWE is cost and the X51 headers tucked in real nice and didn't hang real low like the AWE I have seen. If you compare a X51 header with a standard 997S header you will go "what the heck were they thinking". Now I know looks aren't everything when it comes to producing power, but the primary tubes really neck down with the non X51 headers while the X51 headers keep the primary sizes all the way to the tri-log collector they use. Also, there was some discussion if the primaries were going to be to big for the exhaust port, well they are exactly the same size.

Anyway, off to work...any questions post away..

Dave

Old 06-28-2007, 10:46 AM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Dave07997S
Last Fri. I installed my X51 headers and AWE cats (200 cpi) with my AWE mufflers. The install took about 3.5 hrs. that includes the removal of the OEM components. I did the install completely on ramps by myself without any help at all. My overall impressions:

1. Sound-the sound is fantastic, the beautiful burble along with the nice deep throatiness below 4k rpm is fantastic. I found no droning at all with the AWE mufflers at any rpm. I posted awhile back about how I felt the AWE mufflers were to tame for me with the rest of the exhaust system being OEM. While I do feel I want a more aggressive muffler (I love it loud, in fact thinking of going with muffler bypass) and will probably still go the Borla route (love the way they sound), the AWE's are actually a very good sounding muffler. From the 4-6k rpm they car absolutely screams, above this you can hear the difference but it's not so dramatic like it is from 4-6k rpm.

2. Power Increase-I waited for at least a 100 miles for adaption before I gave any impressions of how much of a power increase there was. I didn't get a chasssis dyno done before hand so of course this is all subjective. I am using my many years of drag racing experience and a very well calibrated butt dyno. There is definitely a power increase from the 4k rpm range up, I noticed no loss in low end tq. In fact my midrange power is so much better along with the throttle response I may forego software until I get the rest of my mods done to tie everything together. I do believe the exhaust by itself is probably only worth 10-15rwhp at the top end of the tach, while in the midrange it probably is worth a tad more. I plan on getting a X51 airbox, throttle body for my next set of mods and this should compliment the exhaust even more.

3. Fit- Well what can be said, it fit perfect. The X51 headers are OEM and the AWE cats fit perfectly with the X51 headers. One of the reasons I chose the X51 and didn't go with the AWE is cost and the X51 headers tucked in real nice and didn't hang real low like the AWE I have seen. If you compare a X51 header with a standard 997S header you will go "what the heck were they thinking". Now I know looks aren't everything when it comes to producing power, but the primary tubes really neck down with the non X51 headers while the X51 headers keep the primary sizes all the way to the tri-log collector they use. Also, there was some discussion if the primaries were going to be to big for the exhaust port, well they are exactly the same size.

Anyway, off to work...any questions post away..

Dave
must....have...sound clip

Old 03-05-2009, 08:16 PM
Bara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant future
what does x51 header, awe 200 cats, and stock mufflers sound like? anyone with that combo have input or video?

Old 03-05-2009, 09:43 PM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Bara
what does x51 header, awe 200 cats, and stock mufflers sound like? anyone with that combo have input or video?
Sounds great! I have that combo with PSE! No clip though. I don't think clips do the sound justice.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:51 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ///MJFDDS
Sounds great! I have that combo with PSE! No clip though. I don't think clips do the sound justice.
What part of So Cal are you in? I'd like to hear your car some time, as I'm considering cats for my PSE with X51 headers.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:58 AM
Gundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud ofGundo has much to be proud of
X-51 Headers, AWE Cats, PSE "always loud" mode, Softronic.

Sounds rippin! Online sound clips just don't do this mod justice.

Cheers

Old 03-06-2009, 09:07 AM
JohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud of
Awesome, thanks for the write up! Do you have any pics to share of the original Vs final product. I would love to see some before/ after type stuff!

Old 03-06-2009, 09:15 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by keninirvine
What part of So Cal are you in? I'd like to hear your car some time, as I'm considering cats for my PSE with X51 headers.
Ken, do the mod, it is a big improvement in power, and it sounds great. My car sounds awesome and I have almost the same set up.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:29 AM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
As NorthVan posted...the cats are the best exhaust mod you can make on this car. Originally I had just the AWE mufflers..barely louder than the stock mufflers with OEM headers and cats. I then added the X51 headers, it deepened the sound somewhat with a little more volume and I felt the midrange was a tad better as far as performance is concerned. It's when I did the 200cpi metallic cats (HJS) from AWE that the car really woke up both performance wise and aurally.

Dave

Old 03-06-2009, 09:46 AM
HATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of lightHATTRICK is a glorious beacon of light
Dave...

Where did you get the X51 headers and how much did they cost ?

Old 03-06-2009, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by HATTRICK
Dave...

Where did you get the X51 headers and how much did they cost ?
Suncoast..the price has gone up as of late. I paid $550, I think the price is just over $600.00 now. Suncoast is a sponsor of this site they can be found here..http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/me...=CarreraSSport

Dave

Old 03-06-2009, 10:33 AM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by keninirvine

I am in the San Fernando Valley. I am probably going to the Vorsteiner / Oakley event. Let me know if you are going to be there.

Matt

Old 03-06-2009, 11:10 AM
topspd is infamous around these parts
I followed the same 'path' as Dave and I fully agree with everything he's said.

Old 03-06-2009, 11:35 AM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ///MJFDDS
I am in the San Fernando Valley. I am probably going to the Vorsteiner / Oakley event. Let me know if you are going to be there.

Matt
I almost forgot about it, but I'll be there as it is close by. I'll shoot for 10:30 or 11am, after the monthly PCA-OCR breakfast meeting.

Old 03-06-2009, 12:24 PM
summoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nicesummoboy is just really nice
I had the AWE 200 cell cats and tubi exhaust with SG headers - sounded great. The Cats "seemed" to produce more power.
Matt, I'm close to you - haven't seen you though. But it is a big valley. I'm near Northridge.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Installed my X51 headers/AWE cats and mufflers