997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Rotate Tires : worth the hassle and $$ ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 06:03 AM
wdonovan is infamous around these parts
You can't rotate front to back because of size reasons but you can (in most situations) rotate side to side. I see benefit in this because with track miles, you wear out the outside edge. With street miles, you wear out the inside edge. Both due to camber, not enough neg for the track, too much neg for straight line driving. Either way, rotating lets you get to use more of the tire that you already paid for. An asymmetric tire can be switched side to side by flipping it around and keeping the outer edge out. A directional tire can be rotated by NOT flipping the tire while swapping, keeping the directional arrows going forward. The only case where you can't rotate is with a tire that is BOTH asymmetric AND directional. Look at your tire invoice (or on the tire dealer's webpage). If it has a different part number for the left and right tire, you cannot switch them. If it is the same part number, you can. One more thing, if you are planning to rotate, plan ahead. Estimate honestly how much life you will get from the tire and switch accordingly. Don't wait til one edge is gone. It's too late.

Old 08-03-2007, 06:06 AM
wdonovan is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by RonCT
Rotate never if you don't track. If you do track and have uneven wear from it (as we all do -- the left side takes a beating), then rotate whenever you feel up to it. Unfortunately, I waited too long (lazy) and the shoulders of my PS2s are a bit ragged. Now that I have camber dialed in and am using the RA1s (I used the oem PS2s on my first few DEs with this new car to acclimate myself to my first rear-engined car).
Ron, I see you are using RA1's . Do you have any experience with the street version T1R? I ran RA1's on my Corvette (rear only) and loved them. Only got 5 months of street service but they stuck like glue. I've ordered a pair of T1R's for the back of my C4. Not many people here (or elsewhere) use Toyos.