997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Frustrated Chicago Driver

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 07:26 AM
kennygoodboy is infamous around these parts
Frustrated Chicago Driver

Hello all ChicagoLand 911 drivers! I apparently went off the deep end and bought my 911 without fully thinking through where i live. No, not talking about the snow (which will come soon enough) but rather how we live in the land of flatness, no scenary, and just a sh*t ton of traffic (damn you California drivers!). I feel like a caged beast. Of course, it doesnt help matters that i live in the heart of the city (4 blocks from Wrigley). I think I've ripped it down Lakeshore about 261 times over the last 2 months. Can anyone suggest some other roads where i can stretch my legs? And that it wont take 2 hours to reach from downtown? I bought this car as 51% looks / 49% performance. now my ratio is like 90/10. Of course, I could be as frustrated as my buddy...he has a GT3.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:30 AM
Karrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to allKarrera4 is a name known to all
ha, that is how I feel everytime I drive in to see my GF in Lincoln Park...I hate the thought of even having my Porsche in Chicago at all...not only is it clausterphobic, but I have never seen an area covered so densely with ****ty, uncaring drivers.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:56 AM
wizo is infamous around these parts
My suggestion to you would be either trailer or drive your car to North Carolina. Go and drive the Tail of the Dragon!!!!
I made the mistake of going there for a vacation and since we were with a large group I had a Pathfinder for a rental. All i could think about was my motorcycle or my highly tuned ready to kill the roads Audi S4. I will def. take my Porsche there and drive it up from Orlando, FL. ALl the roads are great. The highways are long sweepers with high and low grades all over.

Please take your car there and your legs will be def. stretched!!!

Old 08-09-2007, 08:18 AM
drunkenoldman is infamous around these parts
Lakeshore drive onto sherdain Road - all the way to Lake Forest is a good drive (nice houses too). Speed through crystal lake some nice turns but alot of straights, nothing to see but corn fields. I think there are some fun roads in Wisconsin? Any one want to chip in and help a fellow chi-town local?

Old 08-09-2007, 09:33 AM
blakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by wizo
My suggestion to you would be either trailer or drive your car to North Carolina. Go and drive the Tail of the Dragon!!!!
I made the mistake of going there for a vacation and since we were with a large group I had a Pathfinder for a rental. All i could think about was my motorcycle or my highly tuned ready to kill the roads Audi S4. I will def. take my Porsche there and drive it up from Orlando, FL. ALl the roads are great. The highways are long sweepers with high and low grades all over.

Please take your car there and your legs will be def. stretched!!!
I live a few minutes from "The Tail". You hate me. I know.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:43 AM
schicago is infamous around these parts
Take a drive to Geneva Illinois, the Kettle Morraine region near Plymouth,WI
give in join the Chicago Chapter of the PCA which has rallies or track events through Driver's Ed, then you'll see the capabilities of what you bought.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:52 AM
Drunkman - yep, took that up to your neck of the woods. Its a nice Sat morning jaunt to get some breakfast in Winnetka.

Blakt out - hate you. totally.

Schicago - just mailed my $40 to Chicago PCA. Need to take a ton of DE events to utilize my wheels. All i do now is rev it really loud down Chicago's version of a canyon (LaSalle street), at least i scare a few people

Old 08-09-2007, 10:00 AM
Brian Haske is infamous around these partsBrian Haske is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by kennygoodboy
just a sh*t ton of traffic (damn you California drivers!)
Sounds to me like someone needs to make "the" move.
I lived in Chicagoland for most of my life and theres WAAAYYYY more traffic in CA then IL will ever see. but yes, the land of flatness, no scenary, humidity and snow is what moved me to CA.. I can plan outdoor activities weeks in advance and don't have to worry about ****ty weather, that alone is worth the "cost of living" difference to me

Old 08-09-2007, 01:14 PM
schicago is infamous around these parts
what is the color of your car?

Old 08-09-2007, 01:51 PM
KaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura about
Rumor has it that the Dragon hasn't been all that fun the past few weeks, and flooded with TN Troopers........

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

Old 08-09-2007, 07:29 PM
blakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond repute
Huh. I wouldn't know. If you've read my other posts, you'll see that my car's been in the shop for stereo work, then repair, for a total of 7 weeks... and counting. Argh.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:11 PM
its black.

Old 08-09-2007, 08:15 PM
Mussel Kar is a jewel in the roughMussel Kar is a jewel in the roughMussel Kar is a jewel in the rough
]Find out about autocross and DE days near you. Could save your license and make you a better driver to boot. DE and Autocross you can drive the snot outta your car and not endanger others or yourself. Well, not endanger anywhere near as bad as doing that schit on the street.

Old 08-10-2007, 01:58 AM
abefroman is infamous around these parts
Schicago,

I live in Geneva, IL and there's not many good roads here at all for fun driving. Not to mention the cops around here have nothing better to do than write speeding tickets

Old 08-10-2007, 02:28 AM
996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about
not gonna find any room in the city - i live in gold coast, same deal - sucks! i hated drive stick too, shifting way too much, so i got an SL55 now and couldnt be happier - parents live in the suburbs and i dont mind going back b/c that is where you can drive!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Frustrated Chicago Driver