997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

If ANY of you know anything about stereos... PLEASE...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 12:16 AM
ty328 is a splendid one to beholdty328 is a splendid one to beholdty328 is a splendid one to beholdty328 is a splendid one to beholdty328 is a splendid one to beholdty328 is a splendid one to beholdty328 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by blakt out
Hey everyone,

Not wanting to drag this thread back up for no reason, but I have my situation resolved. Thought some of you would want to know, possibly.
Here's what happened since I posted last:
The Porsche dealership said that the head unit not working was the fault of the stereo shop. They said that they wouldn't warranty it for this reason, in addition to the fact that I have an iPod kit in my car (which is stupid). So, if I wanted them to fix it, it would be $3,600 for the head unit, a few hundred more for speakers which are also blown from the issue, plus labor at around 15 hours including a ton of diagnostic time. Wow. So, I go back to the stereo shop and kind of give them some ultimatums. They now have put a Pioneer D3 head unit (double din, navi, Sirius, Bluetooth, DVD, etc), some Focal high end speakers in the doors, a larger JL Audio 4 channel amp, and two JL Audio 8" subs in a custom enclosure. The last of those isn't in yet. They just put in a rinky-dink MTX 10" sub in a truck box. I didn't give them enough time to do the JLs this time because I have to pick up the car this afternoon and drive straight to VIR for two days of tracking. As a side note, I don't even have enough time to put my 19" lobster claws on with my PS2s. I'll be tracking for two days on 20" Avus wheels with P-Zero Neros on the front and Contis on the rear (I literally ripped both of my rear Pirellis at the drag strip. Dropped it too high and they hooked up.) Anyway, they stereo shop has said that while they don't think they are at fault (CYA speak), they wanted to give me some of the stuff for free. I told them that that wasn't necessary (I want them to be good to me on my Audi Q7 and other cars too). The total tab, with installs and everything, is $3500. Assuming it sounds good and looks good, I'm happy. I'll take pics and post if anyone's interested. Just wanted to kind of put this one to bed.
Thanks to all of you for all of your help.
That's so BS from the dealer! I am sure you are more happy now, sound like you have an awesome system. Can you please post some photos, alos let us know about your new Pioneer D3 unit?

Old 09-01-2007, 10:20 AM
blakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond repute
No prob. I'll get the pics on here asap. I don't have a USB cable for my camera here with me to import the photos off of it.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:28 PM
blakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond repute
Finally, here's a pic. Hope it works for you guys. The Avic-D3 in all its glory...

Old 09-05-2007, 02:22 AM
mishref is infamous around these parts
Looks great! I would send off the stereo mount to Eric (Plug Guy) to paint it the same color.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:12 AM
He can do that? It's just wood. Can he make it look like the stuff below it?

Old 09-05-2007, 09:42 AM
PORSCHEAUDIOLUV is infamous around these parts
Looks like they built a simple kit out of wood and just wrapped it in leather .If you look at the picture from the other 6 speed user his unit was molded into the dash w/ some custom work and fiberglass and it was painted to match the porsche silver metallic color that is just below it .It can definately be done but you will need a new trim peice to be made as the one you have is smaller so the leather can be wrapped . Any pics of the amp install , so I can critique that too .

Old 09-05-2007, 09:49 AM
wizo is infamous around these parts
man, your steering wheel is the multi functional one too--want to trade. hehe--
Probably a PIA to take off to trade anyway..
Nice unit! so now you got music again!

Old 09-05-2007, 11:33 AM
They just put the amp straight in in the front, below where the changer goes. Bolted it straight in there. It's a JL 300/4. They even used the stock speaker wire. So it sounds bad. Pretty bad distortion too. I have a good set of Focal components in the doors. I'm taking it back into them to have them feed good wires through to everything. I didn't know they did that. It's horrible. They have the box about done for two JL 8W3v2s to go in the far back and fire at the window. They talk like they're proud of it. We'll see. I know the head unit doesn't look good. I just needed it back to get to VIR for two days on the track so I didn't mess with it. PORSCHEAUDIO, I also remembered you saying that you could hook me up on a real mount, so I just figured I'd wait on that. I'm going to have them put the 300/4 on just the doors, and then put a large amp on the 8s. I also told him that I didn't think 2 8W3s would do it, so I either wanted to isobaric them and make it 4, or put two 8w7s in. After that box goes in and I'm happy, I'll have a roll bar installed and carbon seats. I'll give all the pics for that.

As for my steering wheel, I don't think I'm even going to begin that nightmare, but if I do, I'll let you know, Wizo. And yeah, it's great to have music again! I really like the AVIC-D3. It just works well. Not a crazy good high end unit, but it works well, which is important.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:26 AM
Update AGAIN.

The JL Audio 300/4 amp is getting hot because of some weird impedence it's receiving. So I take it back in to the shop on Thursday (day after tomorrow) to have the following done:

Find out impedence problem.
Take out 300/4 and put in a 300/2 for the door speakers.
Add a 500/1 for the subs.
They made a really great looking fiberglass enclosure for two JL Audio 8W6s to be on the ledge behind the rear seats. It will be covered in a matching gray leather and they fire up onto the rear window.

Hopefully, after all this, we'll be ready to go on Thursday evening.

JC

Old 09-11-2007, 11:37 AM
My sub box is almost done my guys have been working on it for 4 days now . I was able to do 2 JL audio 10w3v3 behind the rear seats .
Let me know if you need any other car audio stuff .

Old 09-11-2007, 11:46 AM
They probably wired the 2 8" subs together and ran the amp in 3 channel mode . if you bridge channel 3 & 4 on the 300/4 you can not go below 4 ohms .
If they are using 8w3v3-4 these are 4 ohm subs .
Are they using the new v2 amps from JL AUDIO ?
Your 300/4 bridged to 2 channel mode should give you the same output as the 300/2 o why change it ?