997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

The influence of wheel weight on ride quality

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 11:33 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by blakt out
Umm.... Seeing that you are in Braselton, I'm going to stop and guess that you have been around the track a good bit there at Road Atlanta. BUT, I got what I wanted. I'll RESTATE again (I will taunt you a second time! - Monty Python), I track my car. I have my stock 19s with PS2s on them that I have been using for that. I have the 20s because I thought they looked great. Then, I upgraded to coilovers and am getting more and more track time. I don't like swapping out street wheels to track wheels all the time. The roads around Asheville are old and horrible. With the coilovers (which I haven't messed with much) and the 20s... HEAVY 20s, I don't like the ride especially when it comes down to a cruise. I drive it hard though. I don't need a damn BMW. I drive the Dragon often and I'm sideways through half the turns. On purpose. I also agree with the 'hockey puck' statement made earlier. Although I don't have PS2s on the 20s, they squeal way too much and don't really let me know before they let go. They are too hard. I end up letting too much pressure out of them to get feel. But they looked great to me when I bought them. I'll sell them for cheap to someone, especially someone with a stock suspension, to love and appreciate the killer looks. I want to probably go with something like an F110, Champion (although I don't really like any of their looks), or even OZ (the Ultraleggera is cheap, light, and looks surprisingly good on a 997).

Don't give me that BMW poo. If you weren't possibly one of my instructors at Road Atlanta (meaning that you're a badass driver) I'd probably point out that you apparently drive a Chevy.

Take care,

JC

LOL, you are pretty funny but if you would stop talking long enough, you'd realize that you contradict yourself in what you say.

#1 You say the PS2's squeel too much, but dont let you know when they are letting go, cant do both my friend. Porsches can make any tire squeel like that, I know from experience.

#2 You completely missed my point, you didnt say anything different than I did, you didnt like the ride with the 20's so you prefer the 19's, I said 19's will be a better ride than 20's did I not?

#3 Then you go and put coilovers on and unless you have them on full soft, your ride has become much stiffer, though handling better.

#4 Your full of it if you think your going sideways anywhere around the Tail of the Dragon with a cliff less than two feet from the rear of your car in one direction and and rock wall 3 feet on the inside of the pavement. And on top of that you say it's on tires that dont let you know when they let go????

THIS IS NOT A VIDEO GAME!!!!!!

You are a joke, would it make it any different if I lapped you at Road Atlanta in a Chevy? I can make that happen as I have one of those, and it isnt even my track car ( it's on 20's no less).

And chances are you and your instructor will get lapped by me in my Porsche, not too bright to make an assumption on what car I DONT have by my screen name.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:41 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
Heavy - glad to see you respond I knew it wouldn't be pleasant for him.

Also as a note on the "bling" for 19's and 20's. I read that the BR550 Speedart 997 Turbo did the N-Ring at 1:38.xx - on their 20's wheels. Running Michelin Sport Tires. Not sport cups. Not too shabby for 20's.

Old 08-17-2007, 03:01 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ALPINE_997
Heavy - glad to see you respond I knew it wouldn't be pleasant for him.

Also as a note on the "bling" for 19's and 20's. I read that the BR550 Speedart 997 Turbo did the N-Ring at 1:38.xx - on their 20's wheels. Running Michelin Sport Tires. Not sport cups. Not too shabby for 20's.
I wasnt going to let that one slide.

Oh yeah, one thing is clear, you can still turn fast times with 20's on a car. The problem you will face is that you can't buy the top tires in 20's, at least the R-compounds. So you are stuck turning the lap times of street tires. But you wont see much difference in 19/20 inch tires and even 18's for that matter, maybe a 1/2 second (maybe) from 18's to 20's on an equal tire same driver same day, same car. The weight of the wheels is more important than the size. If you go and put some chrome wheels that weigh 50 lbs each your car will slow down drastically.

BTW we are going to Andretti's on Sunday, hope you can make it out, I'll be driving the vette.

Old 08-17-2007, 03:08 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
I responded on the other board.

It would be interesting to see how many people would switch to lightweight 20's if R-compounds came out. Just like when 19's were not as common in the MPSC and now that they are available people are sticking with 19's. I wonder if 20's will have that same result. It will be interesting.

Old 08-17-2007, 04:46 PM
blakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by heavychevy
LOL, you are pretty funny but if you would stop talking long enough, you'd realize that you contradict yourself in what you say.

#1 You say the PS2's squeel too much, but dont let you know when they are letting go, cant do both my friend. Porsches can make any tire squeel like that, I know from experience.

#2 You completely missed my point, you didnt say anything different than I did, you didnt like the ride with the 20's so you prefer the 19's, I said 19's will be a better ride than 20's did I not?

#3 Then you go and put coilovers on and unless you have them on full soft, your ride has become much stiffer, though handling better.

#4 Your full of it if you think your going sideways anywhere around the Tail of the Dragon with a cliff less than two feet from the rear of your car in one direction and and rock wall 3 feet on the inside of the pavement. And on top of that you say it's on tires that dont let you know when they let go????

THIS IS NOT A VIDEO GAME!!!!!!

You are a joke, would it make it any different if I lapped you at Road Atlanta in a Chevy? I can make that happen as I have one of those, and it isnt even my track car ( it's on 20's no less).

And chances are you and your instructor will get lapped by me in my Porsche, not too bright to make an assumption on what car I DONT have by my screen name.
OK. I'm assuming this is all my fault because I have been in a situation like this on here before... AND Alpine said it wasn't going to be pretty for me. But, not to belabor this because it's silly, you said that I should have gotten a BMW because I cared if my car rode comfortably at all. That's retarded. Totally. We pay more for our cars because 911s offer some of the highest performance without daily driver compromise offered today. I feel like I was being modest with the whole, "you probably are a better driver than me" thing, while pointing out that I do drive my car hard as I live near Deal's Gap and drive it a lot. I also run my 19s almost all the time now, as I have been driving that road and others and the 20s, although not the same tires, don't hook as well and don't talk to me about their limits. In other words, when you said I contradicted myself, I was talking about the difference in the two tires I run.

I don't get the whole issue here. The Chevy 'stab' was right there in front of me, since you told me I shouldn't be in a 911 but a BMW, on a 911 board, with Chevy in your name. Just a stupid paradox. Doesn't mean I don't think you can drive. I don't give a **** if you can. I HOPE you can. That'd be fine by me.

I overstated apparently how much I go all Dukes of Hazard on the Dragon. I oversteer out of some of the turns. The ones that wouldn't end in certain death. There's what, 318 turns? More than enough to conclude that your overgeneralization and questioning of my claim is just rude and confrontational. For why?

Back to the whole point. I don't know if the 19s ride better than my 20s because they are lighter, because they have more sidewall, or because they are PS2s instead of Pirellis. That's what I'm a wonderin. All that stuff at the end of your post, dude... I'm over it. I have read this stuff a few times and can't figure out what your problem is. I'm gonna go have a beer.

Out.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:05 PM
OK. I'm assuming this is all my fault because I have been in a situation like this on here before... AND Alpine said it wasn't going to be pretty for me. But, not to belabor this because it's silly, you said that I should have gotten a BMW because I cared if my car rode comfortably at all. That's retarded. Totally. We pay more for our cars because 911s offer some of the highest performance without daily driver compromise offered today. I feel like I was being modest with the whole, "you probably are a better driver than me" thing, while pointing out that I do drive my car hard as I live near Deal's Gap and drive it a lot. I also run my 19s almost all the time now, as I have been driving that road and others and the 20s, although not the same tires, don't hook as well and don't talk to me about their limits. In other words, when you said I contradicted myself, I was talking about the difference in the two tires I run.

I don't get the whole issue here. The Chevy 'stab' was right there in front of me, since you told me I shouldn't be in a 911 but a BMW, on a 911 board, with Chevy in your name. Just a stupid paradox. Doesn't mean I don't think you can drive. I don't give a **** if you can. I HOPE you can. That'd be fine by me.

I overstated apparently how much I go all Dukes of Hazard on the Dragon. I oversteer out of some of the turns. The ones that wouldn't end in certain death. There's what, 318 turns? More than enough to conclude that your overgeneralization and questioning of my claim is just rude and confrontational. For why?

Back to the whole point. I don't know if the 19s ride better than my 20s because they are lighter, because they have more sidewall, or because they are PS2s instead of Pirellis. That's what I'm a wonderin. All that stuff at the end of your post, dude... I'm over it. I have read this stuff a few times and can't figure out what your problem is. I'm gonna go have a beer.

Out.
My comment was not personally directed at you and I did not mean anything offensive by the comment. IMO Porsche offer a bumpy ride, which they do comared to almost any other make. If you want something soft and fluffy, a BMW or Benz would be a better alternative, moreso directed at the people who always complain about the ride which isnt all that bad with 20's, and there is no drastic improvement even with going to 18's. You added coils to your car so this doesnt even comply with you because generally speaking your ride will be even stiffer with them.

I responded the way I did because I hate the generalizations some people here make, your haughty attack on my screen name set me off. As if it mattered that I have a chevy, I could have been a tech or driven a Porsche on track, wouldnt have changed anything. Arrogance makes me mad.

As for the tires, I simply pointed out what I saw in your post that didnt make sense, but you have elaborated and now that is clear. I have no problem with you or your car, you snapped off on a tirade because you assumed my post was directed at you when it wasnt, I simply responded.

As far as I'm concerned this can all be put on the backburner. I'd love to add more people to our yearly mountain runs, I have a buddy that lives up in Franklin and has a home on althohoona (sp) lake up there really close to the dragon, we would run the Tail/Skyway Loop and then stay at his lakehouse and do it all over again. It's a blast, and some good clean roads. Feel free to join us. I'll send you a p.m. of our website so you can check it out, but you'll find a good group of car guys that like to have fun.

cya

Old 08-18-2007, 01:20 AM
dmoney is infamous around these parts
like I said this topic brings out the best in people...."cant we just all get along"

Old 08-18-2007, 09:26 AM
It's all good - the air is cleared. No need to get anyone's panties in a wad. Except for Jessica Beils!!!

Arrogance doesn't go over well with most people.. I know I am the BEST haha - j/k

Blakt - the GA crew is a great bunch of guys who likes cars. ALL TYPES - well except maybe for the Dual Coffee Canned, Vented Spoiler, Rally Sport Winged Hyundai Tiburon V6 GT Sport that wanted to race me the other day. What's up with these cars lately with the Buick Lesabre, Maserati side fender vents?

Old 08-18-2007, 09:26 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by dmoney
like I said this topic brings out the best in people...."cant we just all get along"
We are getting along...this is a good thread that keeps me reading it. It brings out the personality of people.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:56 AM
Mdrums - less than two weeks I will be in Tampa, FL. Could you speak with Mother Nature and tell her to cool it down while I am there. The 5 mins thunderstorms that come and go don't bother me. It's the humidity at 1000% that kills me. I will pm as the time gets close. You hang with a good group of P-Car or Car guys there? NO ARROGANCE

Old 08-18-2007, 11:26 AM
dmoney is infamous around these parts
Alpine, Jessica beils is way over rated IMO although......

Old 08-18-2007, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by dmoney
Alpine, Jessica beils is way over rated IMO although......
Let me finish that last part from the although...I wouldn't kick her out of bed for eating *******s.

Old 08-18-2007, 02:50 PM
blakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond reputeblakt out has a reputation beyond repute
Rock on. Totally wasn't being arrogant. I tried to put the right smiley face on it (plus a Monty Python quote for Pete's sake) so I wouldn't come across that way. Oh well. Let's go run Deals Gap and be buds.

So, the thread at hand; I gotta say that I feel it's inconclusive. I have Avus 20s with Pirelli P Zeros and they are stiffer than I like. I have the stock 19" lobster claws with PS2s on them and they feel good. Although I understand that each item (sidewall height, tire compound, and wheel weight) effects the ride some, which would most likely be the factor that is making the big difference?

Old 08-18-2007, 06:34 PM
Rock on. Totally wasn't being arrogant. I tried to put the right smiley face on it (plus a Monty Python quote for Pete's sake) so I wouldn't come across that way. Oh well. Let's go run Deals Gap and be buds.

So, the thread at hand; I gotta say that I feel it's inconclusive. I have Avus 20s with Pirelli P Zeros and they are stiffer than I like. I have the stock 19" lobster claws with PS2s on them and they feel good. Although I understand that each item (sidewall height, tire compound, and wheel weight) effects the ride some, which would most likely be the factor that is making the big difference?
I think that actually bigger/heavier wheels make your car more stable, bigger contact patch resomsible for that. They do tend to follow grooves in the road more though. If you are very concious of the handling of your car on the street, then 20's are not for you. After you have driven on the track, it becomes less and less of an issue on the street. (Kinda like exhaust drone, you love the sound from the outside but hate the sound on the inside, a form of sacrifice)

Personally, I think 20's are big for anything but cruising in a 911, if you like mountain runs, track, they are not for you. HOWEVER, if you bought the car to have some nifty pickup speed getting on the highway, or passing slow traffic, then the look is worth it. This mod is entirely dependant on how you drive the car, and your feel for the car. IMO 20's arent neccessary on the 911 either ( the point to me is to have a wheel that completely takes up the wheel well for appearance) and you can get that easily with some 19's, low profile tires and a slight drop.

It all comes down to personal preference, but if you arent performance oriented, but reall feel your car, dont get 20's, if you can care less and want the car to look good, DO IT!!! Bt just realize you can get the same appearance affect and a SLIGHTLY better ride with 19's.

Old 08-18-2007, 07:45 PM
JohnnyD is infamous around these parts
I have Avus 20s with Pirelli P Zeros and they are stiffer than I like.
What do you mean stiffer, please be specific? The 997 is already a fairly stiff sporty ride in stock form that is very communicative. This is designed that way from the factory and what most people praise. As others have mentioned, the tire sidewall height difference between 19" and 20" wheels is only 10mm-12.7mm which is likely less than the thickness of you little pinky finger. Think about that for a minute.

My guess if it's not just in your head is the larger wheels added weight (if they do in fact weigh more) or the added tire width that most end up getting when adding wider after market wheels.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The influence of wheel weight on ride quality