997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

The influence of wheel weight on ride quality

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 07:54 PM
dmoney is infamous around these parts
19's 20s 18 20's 19's ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhshuuuuuuuuuuuuutuppppppppppp pppppppp

Old 08-18-2007, 09:42 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JohnnyD
What do you mean stiffer, please be specific? The 997 is already a fairly stiff sporty ride in stock form that is very communicative. This is designed that way from the factory and what most people praise. As others have mentioned, the tire sidewall height difference between 19" and 20" wheels is only 10mm-12.7mm which is likely less than the thickness of you little pinky finger. Think about that for a minute.

My guess if it's not just in your head is the larger wheels added weight (if they do in fact weigh more) or the added tire width that most end up getting when adding wider after market wheels.
That's what I've been trying to say, the ride doesnt get stiffer, people just use the word because you can feel the bumps in the road easier with less absorbtion by the tires because the side walls are so thin.

At least I think that's what they mean. It's the only real possibility.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:18 PM
jreeves197 is infamous around these partsjreeves197 is infamous around these parts
THATS IT!!! Buy some 3 piece 19's, you already have the coil overs, get the right height and comfort level with them and lets all call it a day!!

Old 08-18-2007, 10:49 PM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by blakt out
How crazy is it that 18s are now 'little'? Like, the old 14s or so.

So do any of you have pics of 18s on your 997? I honestly can't get my head around that. Don't know why. Right now I think I'm just thinking about going to a very light 19. Thing is, all the ultra lights are one piece. Get curb rash and you're screwed.
not true...BBS makes multi piece very light wheels in 19 inch fitments.

Old 08-19-2007, 01:42 AM
PORSCHEAUDIOLUV is infamous around these parts
Guys if you want light weight how is 14 lbs for a 19" ? and they will only cost $8500 . Is that really worth it ? If it is a track only car then yes it is worth it. Buy the Dymag carbon fiber wheels and use them for track days only .The one downfall is in most cases the lighter the wheel the easier it will get damaged , flat spotted etc...
If you can have the best of all i would say 2 sets of wheels one for the nasty roads that we all have to drive on daily, and a second set of superlight to use on the occasional track days .This way you can have full cheater slicks or R compound tires and not have to buy new tires every 3 months .

Old 08-19-2007, 01:45 AM
PORSCHEAUDIOLUV is infamous around these parts
PorscheC4 ,
What would you considder really light .
vbmenu_register("postmenu_1286705", true);

Old 08-19-2007, 09:17 AM
gomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by dmoney
19's 20s 18 20's 19's ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhshuuuuuuuuuuuuutuppppppppppp pppppppp
hahah. exactly!

Old 08-19-2007, 08:12 PM
ALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to beholdALPINE_997 is a splendid one to behold
gomez - those Rinspeeds - are heavy j/k - Love them. Couldn't wait any longer for the 20x12 so I went with something else. Hopefully in less than 2 weeks. Finally found my front tires!!! Damn Michelins on back order forever and a day.

The larger contact patch with the 20's you will get tramlining and of course feel the road more. As Heavy said - its just part of the package.

I will take my 20's for mountain runs and see how they feel

If you like 19's and want the looks of 20's wheels like the RinSpeeds, TechArts Formula 1 and larger faced spokes/design will give you the same look as a 20 with a lip. That's why many people thing the RinSpeeds look large because the spoke comes out to the edge and the TechArts has a small rim at the edge so they appear smaller.

Adjust the dampening on the coilovers some dial it in a little softer. You won't give up much by doing so.

Old 08-24-2021, 08:32 AM
teknical is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by HardCore Nice
Wheel weight would make no noticable difference in ride quality the only difference would be a ever so slower, barely noticable acceleration change and longer by a brakeing by meer inch's.
I wonder about this. Let me explain. Imagine you have a wheel rotating within a tire with a 3” tall sidewall. If the wheel is light, the wheel and tire will easily travel upward as it hits bumps, and quickly return to its position on the road. This is often thought to be the most desirable response. But If the wheel is heavy, the mass will try to oppose the up or down movement and thus the tire will compress when hitting bumps. With this in mind, it would seem a heavier wheel with a decent amount of sidewall could help with smaller bumps. But, if the car hits a large bump which causes the wheel and tire to travel upward, it could travel further upward and take longer to come back down to the ground. This would not be ideal. But, for most roads where Porsches drive, the heavier wheels could actually cause a nicer ride overall. Albeit with a compromise in acceleration. This is just a thought and open to discussion. I’m no expert for sure.