997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

H & R vs. Techart vs. Gemballa, etc....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 07:55 AM
$rouji is infamous around these parts
I just bought Techart springs. I have PASM and I find it not much lower. ANd coilover for PASM also only go to -2,5cm. That is very poor i think.

For my 996 I had KW V3 and quality is excellent!!!!

$rouji

Old 08-17-2007, 08:41 AM
MrBonus is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by RonCT
Just another view point... You should read many of the posts here about shock failures at around 10,000 miles due to lowering springs. The oem shocks and springs were designed as a pair. The first post I read about failure was more than a year ago from a guy who had his shocks blow and of course warranty was refused as he went aftermarket with springs. I don't remember how much he had to pay for new shocks ($5k or so?), but I think I remember him going back to oem springs at that point. You should just go into this understanding there are risks -- the car will sit lower so you may damage the underside of your car, and you may blow out your shocks.

I have heard very good reviews about the Bilstein PSS for PASM...
Ron,

As you may know, I previously had H&R springs for about 15,000 miles. While the shocks didn't fail entirely, I believe they were on the way out. The ride became noticeably rougher and the steering became gummier before I swapped out for the new Bilstein PSS. I'm far happier with the coilovers. The turn-in is far crisper than stock or with springs without much sacrifice at all of the ride quality. The springs, by comparison, left the car feeling very rigid, no doubt because they had an increased spring rate to compensate for the limited suspension travel.

Take it for what you will and good luck to anyone considering suspension parts for these cars.

Old 08-17-2007, 09:12 AM
wizo is infamous around these parts
Well,

I have had both springs and coilovers (on different cars). Any time you lower the car and change from stock to aftermarket you sacrifice ride and factory specifications of quality for yourself. Now the pros and cons to springs are simple.
Springs you put in there and have to make no adjustment at all. They are quick, easy and figure out all the guess work you need. Usually if you do not go too low the shocks will last a good time and you will not have too much of a problem.."Sport" style springs usually labeled puts the car lower will obviously blow shocks because the stock shock was not designed for the new ride height. If you plan on in a year, like in my case, throwing on a pair of coilovers then you should be ok. Springs are a quick fix and depending on application will last roughly one year to two tops. Then you will usually have to either replace shock with aftermarket ones or simply go coilover and be ok.

The coilover's I had on my s4 took me numerous attempts to 1)get the correct and desired ride height 2) figure out the dampening settings for the shocks. 3) Adjust again when you want to use you car not in the extreme low mode--ie--track or heavy loads-usually road trips with luggage and passengers.