997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

998 - Flat 8 Or Not To Flat 8

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 11:17 AM
dmoney is infamous around these parts
Le chef I dont think there going to make the cayman compete against stronger cars than the 911, not likely imo...

Old 08-21-2007, 07:55 PM
Le Chef is infamous around these parts
They won't call it "Cayman". More likely Carrera GT II. The original Carrera GT was faster than the 911 remember, and most people didn't have a problem with that...

Old 08-21-2007, 10:41 PM
dmoney is infamous around these parts
why would they put the 8 cylnder first in the cayman because it's a mid engine for more balance

Old 08-22-2007, 08:43 PM
Le Chef is infamous around these parts
Read my post...

Originally Posted by dmoney
why would they put the 8 cylnder first in the cayman because it's a mid engine for more balance
They will probably call it Carrera GT II. Frankly as it would be mid-engined they could put anything in it and it would be balanced and faster than a 911.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:32 PM
Zeus has a spectacular aura aboutZeus has a spectacular aura about
Had to revive this thread 'cause I've been dreaming about in what form the 998 or 991 (next gen past 997) will take.

Serious, honest question here: Why do some of you think that the 911 would be ruined if Porsche went with a Flat-8 as opposed to the current & previous Flat-6's? Strength, reliability & weight would be my major concerns at this point.

Any other opinions?

Old 04-24-2008, 10:43 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
A flat 8 wont work because there will be additional weight added to the rear, making the balance unbearable.

I have said it before, that Porsche should make a hybrid mid/rear engine car and ditch the back seats in the GT3. Put an 8 cylinder in the car and push it farther forward. So it wont be mid engine technically, but close, back seats not needed. The Twin Turbos can always add power in their current state and all they would have to do is better the handling and not water it down to leave room for the GT2. So keep the 911 config in the TT and make like a 911-8 for the GT3.

So with the GT2 either they can go with the hybrid config or just keep increasing power/handling and reducing weight.

I'm sure Porsche has planned ahead and have something in mind, if they havent, well they had better pack it in.

Old 04-24-2008, 11:12 PM
Gary in BR is infamous around these parts
I think the a lighter 8 is what we will see in the future.

This thread has the undertones of a thread from 10 years ago: Porsche will never water cool their engines ,a 911 will no longer be a 911 if they do.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:27 AM
lardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Mussel Kar
I heard that they were going to skip the flat 8 and go directly to the flat 12
NO its a H 12. Or a flat 6 sandwich

Old 04-25-2008, 07:51 AM
Originally Posted by heavychevy
A flat 8 wont work because there will be additional weight added to the rear, making the balance unbearable.

I have said it before, that Porsche should make a hybrid mid/rear engine car and ditch the back seats in the GT3. Put an 8 cylinder in the car and push it farther forward. So it wont be mid engine technically, but close, back seats not needed. The Twin Turbos can always add power in their current state and all they would have to do is better the handling and not water it down to leave room for the GT2. So keep the 911 config in the TT and make like a 911-8 for the GT3.

So with the GT2 either they can go with the hybrid config or just keep increasing power/handling and reducing weight.

I'm sure Porsche has planned ahead and have something in mind, if they havent, well they had better pack it in.
I agree. The rear seats have always been useless in the 911 series, and I could never see why they never eventually moved away from the "2+2" configuration.

As for your thoughts on the "hybrid" configuration, hmm...I'll have to give that some thought... I do follow what you are saying, and I like it. Maybe that Flat-8 needs to be a Titanium block-hey we could hope.

But I still have to wonder why they don't just do away with the rear-engine entirely in the 911 and go to a mid-engine design, scrap the rear seats, and move the rear wheels farther out and back. It's hard for me to imagine the next gen Turbo/GT3/GT2 with a wider, more aggressive stance than the current 997, and I wonder if engine placement would effect that.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:46 AM
rah79 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ALPINE_997
Well this seems to be getting personal. Opinions are like a-holes...everyone has one and everyone one of them stink Some more than others....

Back to the UGLY Blue Wheels. David_J and I will take them off your hands and ebay them. David 50/50 split?

Lighten up in here - there are more serious things happening all around us. Go out and drive - not off a cliff mind you - just drive!!
+1... Why can't we all just get along? Everyone has a right to post their questions if you don't like them then don't click on it. Not everyone can be a genius. Better to ask then not at all

Old 04-25-2008, 08:51 AM
cdaniels is infamous around these parts
My dream car would be a mid-engine 911 with the 3.4 8 cylinder from Porsche's P2 car in the ALMS.....use carbon fiber and aluminum to keep the car down to 3,000 lbs or less.....that engine probably weighs less than the 3.6 6 cylinder now in the 911....if BMW can develop the present 8 cylinder in the M3 to weigh less than their previous 6, so can Porsche.

Originally Posted by Zeus
Had to revive this thread 'cause I've been dreaming about in what form the 998 or 991 (next gen past 997) will take.

Serious, honest question here: Why do some of you think that the 911 would be ruined if Porsche went with a Flat-8 as opposed to the current & previous Flat-6's? Strength, reliability & weight would be my major concerns at this point.

Any other opinions?

Old 04-25-2008, 09:47 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Zeus
I agree. The rear seats have always been useless in the 911 series, and I could never see why they never eventually moved away from the "2+2" configuration.

As for your thoughts on the "hybrid" configuration, hmm...I'll have to give that some thought... I do follow what you are saying, and I like it. Maybe that Flat-8 needs to be a Titanium block-hey we could hope.

But I still have to wonder why they don't just do away with the rear-engine entirely in the 911 and go to a mid-engine design, scrap the rear seats, and move the rear wheels farther out and back. It's hard for me to imagine the next gen Turbo/GT3/GT2 with a wider, more aggressive stance than the current 997, and I wonder if engine placement would effect that.
The Cayman is a good example of Porsche Designing something that isnt rear engine but the panamera is a bad example, I think they are scared to make something that's not a 911. But if they do the 911 would become an instant collectors item.

One thing's for sure. The flat 6's are at the end of their road in N/A form.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:08 PM
Redridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud ofRedridge has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by heavychevy
One thing's for sure. The flat 6's are at the end of their road in N/A form.
huh? they made 115hp in ten years during the 996-997 period. There's the gt3 in the 3.8-4.0 version still good for anther 100hp imho.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:15 PM
Gary in BR is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by cdaniels
My dream car would be a mid-engine 911 with the 3.4 8 cylinder from Porsche's P2 car in the ALMS.....use carbon fiber and aluminum to keep the car down to 3,000 lbs or less.....that engine probably weighs less than the 3.6 6 cylinder now in the 911....if BMW can develop the present 8 cylinder in the M3 to weigh less than their previous 6, so can Porsche.

This would be a great idea!!!

Old 04-25-2008, 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by cdaniels
^^^^^
I agree also!

They need to go mid-engine, then take that bad-*** little 3.4 V8 and Twin Turbo it until it reaches 725-750hp in 998 GT2 form. Stick some 385mm tires out back, full electric brakes/PCCBs, PDK (manual as an option)...I could go on & on... That my friends would be nice.

Porsche? Porsche are you listening?

Bueller? Bueller?

Last edited by Zeus; 04-25-2008 at 01:46 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 998 - Flat 8 Or Not To Flat 8