997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

998 - Flat 8 Or Not To Flat 8

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 02:31 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by cdaniels
Looks like I stand corrected...you can't beat documentation from Porsche herself...I'm just surprised...I would have thought a boxer engine with hoziontally opposed cylinders would have a lower center of gravity there fore be better.....oh well...I've only been an automotive engineer for 2 weeks since I got my certificate off the internet....
The V8 configuration offers a very significant advantage when it comes to dedicated race cars, and that is with respect to ground effects. For example, the old flat six made it difficult to create a good venturi effect underneath the 956/962. They actually had to slant the motor and gearbox upwards in the 956/962 so it would be out of the way when constructing the ground effects underbelly. The V8 configuration is much narrower than the very wide flat six, thus lending itself better to creating a good ground effects underbelly. The handling and cornering characteristics that ground effects provide far outweigh the advantage of a low center of gravity.

Last edited by USCCayman; 05-10-2008 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:36 PM
rmani is infamous around these partsrmani is infamous around these parts
given the fuel crisis and impending 30+MPG standards which we might be seeing mandated for carmakers soon I doubt Porsche will go with a 8 cylinder. They managed to get nearly 400bhp for the GT3, and with current "S" models only making 350hp (soon to be 370 I think) 400 is the next logical step when the total redesign comes around.

Old 05-10-2008, 02:45 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Tuskir
Could you post a link to a video showing 997 beating a R8? I showed you five different independent sources showing R8 outperform a 997, you showed me zero. You can't get much real than a same day, same track, same professional driver (Stig, who knows the track better than anyone) run these cars back to back on track and R8 win by two seconds. Almost everyone who has driven both cars preferred the mid-engined layout of the R8. Have you even driven the R8? I'm guessing not....
I'm not going to go look for them, but I've seen two in which the 997 beats the R8. In one, Stig actually races some hotshoe lady, with him being in the 997. In another, two auto journalists are going at it. This is kind of like the 997/Nissan GT-R debate. Most folks who don't have experience in the 997 like the GT-R because it is so easy to drive. However, those with skill in driving the 997 can certainly use the characteristics of the rear engine mount to their advantage and turn very hot laps. That being said, I really like the layout of the Cayman.

Old 05-10-2008, 07:54 PM
UBoat Commander is just really niceUBoat Commander is just really niceUBoat Commander is just really niceUBoat Commander is just really niceUBoat Commander is just really nice
Could you post a link to a video showing 997 beating a R8? I showed you five different independent sources showing R8 outperform a 997, you showed me zero. You can't get much real than a same day, same track, same professional driver (Stig, who knows the track better than anyone) run these cars back to back on track and R8 win by two seconds. Almost everyone who has driven both cars preferred the mid-engined layout of the R8. Have you even driven the R8? I'm guessing not....
Just go search on Youtube. I did it. There's not a single video of an R8 being faster than a 997S.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:09 PM
jackolo is infamous around these parts
The majority of these wins were purely on ease of use. They even mention the 911 requiring "heroic" courage to drive around the track properly which most of us already know. "Slow in, fast out!". This alone could be a basis on victory but I believe we're comparing purely on performance. We're not worrying about the "weak of heart" here.

The Top gear review was the only one with a lap time, however this was in WET conditions with a 2S vs an AWD Audi. What did you expect? How about in dry or a 4S vs R8 in wet?
Heres the other comparo from Top gear USCCayman was refering to
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=178tj68uFTs[/media]
Although a GT3 now, we're still talking about a relatively even price tag (I'm not sure about USD but CAD works out).

As for Fifth Gear, they don't give a clear cut reason, just an answer. This could even be attributed to "newest baddest toy" syndrome. Most people I talk to would also like to have an R8 but thats only because of its outlandish looks.

Oh yeah, the 911 S models clearly out accelerate the R8... lets see how they do with the 09' bump in power.

And to stay slightly on topic... If Porsche goes to a flat 8, they might as well move the engine mid and then promptly shut down the 911/Carrera name and call it something else. Its the death of the 911.

Car and Driver
997 turbo VS Audi R8
R8= 1st place
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...st+page-4.html

Motor Trend
997 4S vs Audi R8
R8 = 1st place
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._dynamics.html

Top Gear
"R8 is a better car"
Audi R8= 1:24.4
911 S = 1:26.2
http://youtube.com/watch?v=zI8ChK3xQDs&feature=related
^ That is 2 seconds per lap faster "dude", which is a huge difference in performance.

DrivenMag.com
"R8 is superior"
http://youtube.com/watch?v=JTgtHb3hLsA&feature=related

Fifth Gear
"you should definitely put your name down for an R8"
http://youtube.com/watch?v=dJW3mbROXJQ

Old 05-11-2008, 08:37 AM
I suspect that Porsche will spring some sort of mid-motor configuration on us.
As others on this thread have pointed out, throughout it's history Porsche has gone ahead and done things they said they wouldn't. The car, whatever it is, is probably sitting behind closed doors at Stuttgart or Weissach in complete form ready to blow us away. Mid-engine, DSG, DFI, etc. The car will probably remind us that it is not as easy as many seem to think to dethrone Porsche as an "Uber" sports car maker. I suspect that Porsche has been working on a few surprises for us. For example, there was the report not too long ago of several Cayenne mules, with all but the driver and front passenger windows blacked out, circulating the 'ring at ferocious speeds. What was unusual about the car had to do with two characteristics. First, the back wheels were wider than the front (suggesting that there really wasn't an SUV underneath the SUV body, and second, the car was becoming airborne in spots were all other cars just did not have the power to do so. Then there was that recent picture of what looked like some sort of front engined GT under a car cover in a factory courtyard. These are exciting times at Porsche. I can't wait!

Old 05-11-2008, 09:34 AM
PorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant futurePorscheC4 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by rmani
given the fuel crisis and impending 30+MPG standards which we might be seeing mandated for carmakers soon I doubt Porsche will go with a 8 cylinder. They managed to get nearly 400bhp for the GT3, and with current "S" models only making 350hp (soon to be 370 I think) 400 is the next logical step when the total redesign comes around.
the 997 GT3 has 415 hp, so they are well into the 400's with just a 3.6 liter flat 6.

Old 05-11-2008, 11:56 AM
Le Chef is infamous around these parts
Clueless!

In my opinion, Porsche should use the Gallardo/R8 platform for 998,
You have absolutely zero understanding of the 911 and why it is an icon. I suggest you stump up some of your hard earned paper delivery pocket money and buy "Excellence was Expected". When you've read it come back and tell us why you still believe that what you propose would be a 911.

What you propose might make sense for ANOTHER model in the Porsche range, but let's face it, why would VAG need another mid-engined sports car in a market that is declining rapidly? You might as well propose that Porsche make an even bigger SUV with a V12 engine...

Old 05-11-2008, 02:44 PM
lardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to all
Originally Posted by USCCayman
I suspect that Porsche will spring some sort of mid-motor configuration on us.
As others on this thread have pointed out, throughout it's history Porsche has gone ahead and done things they said they wouldn't. The car, whatever it is, is probably sitting behind closed doors at Stuttgart or Weissach in complete form ready to blow us away. Mid-engine, DSG, DFI, etc. The car will probably remind us that it is not as easy as many seem to think to dethrone Porsche as an "Uber" sports car maker. I suspect that Porsche has been working on a few surprises for us. For example, there was the report not too long ago of several Cayenne mules, with all but the driver and front passenger windows blacked out, circulating the 'ring at ferocious speeds. What was unusual about the car had to do with two characteristics. First, the back wheels were wider than the front (suggesting that there really wasn't an SUV underneath the SUV body, and second, the car was becoming airborne in spots were all other cars just did not have the power to do so. Then there was that recent picture of what looked like some sort of front engined GT under a car cover in a factory courtyard. These are exciting times at Porsche. I can't wait!
Mid-engine, DSG, DFI Its called a 2010 Boxster NOT A 911

Old 05-11-2008, 06:36 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
I know nothing about Porsche? What rock have you been living under? Every single comparison that Audi R8 was put against a 911, it won. Just to name a few:

Car and Driver
997 turbo VS Audi R8
R8= 1st place
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...st+page-4.html

Motor Trend
997 4S vs Audi R8
R8 = 1st place
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._dynamics.html

Top Gear
"R8 is a better car"
Audi R8= 1:24.4
911 S = 1:26.2
http://youtube.com/watch?v=zI8ChK3xQDs&feature=related
^ That is 2 seconds per lap faster "dude", which is a huge difference in performance.

DrivenMag.com
"R8 is superior"
http://youtube.com/watch?v=JTgtHb3hLsA&feature=related

Fifth Gear
"you should definitely put your name down for an R8"
http://youtube.com/watch?v=dJW3mbROXJQ

911 is an amazing car, but a V8 mid-engined platform is far superior to a 6-cylinder rear-engined platform. Porsche cannot be using the same platform forever, they have to evolve. If not, they will continue to be outperformed.
Actually, a few things that you left out of these comparisons. Car and Driver compared a 90k porsche to a 130k Audi. Shouldn't the comparison have been to the 997TT instead. But I do have that magazine by the way and I have had C&D for going on 20 years. C&D is a very partisan type magazine. They have their favorites and they have their dislikes. Just like a Corvette can never loose a comparison on CD, a porsche cannot win one. Plain and simple fact.

In any case, I think you will find that if you compare flagship to flagship (R8 to 997TT) we all know who's bottom will get handily spanked.

Here is another thing. The 911 is a tradition, like it or not. There wil be faster cars made, I am sure and there are now. It is still one of the top machines in the world and it retains a tradition. To change it's layout would be to loose it all. I can see porsche coming out with another butt kicker to go against the big boys, maybe a front engined a-la 928 with a huge V-8, 10 or 12. Then that could be the new azz kicker, while the 911 will remain the tradition it has become. I have no problem with porsche making another supercar that will smash the 911, heck they did it with the carrera GT at a hefty price. If they can keep the price down to the low 100's and make a killer, great.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:46 PM
lardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Prche951
Actually, a few things that you left out of these comparisons. Car and Driver compared a 90k porsche to a 130k Audi. Shouldn't the comparison have been to the 997TT instead. But I do have that magazine by the way and I have had C&D for going on 20 years. C&D is a very partisan type magazine. They have their favorites and they have their dislikes. Just like a Corvette can never loose a comparison on CD, a porsche cannot win one. Plain and simple fact.

In any case, I think you will find that if you compare flagship to flagship (R8 to 997TT) we all know who's bottom will get handily spanked.

Here is another thing. The 911 is a tradition, like it or not. There wil be faster cars made, I am sure and there are now. It is still one of the top machines in the world and it retains a tradition. To change it's layout would be to loose it all. I can see porsche coming out with another butt kicker to go against the big boys, maybe a front engined a-la 928 with a huge V-8, 10 or 12. Then that could be the new azz kicker, while the 911 will remain the tradition it has become. I have no problem with porsche making another supercar that will smash the 911, heck they did it with the carrera GT at a hefty price. If they can keep the price down to the low 100's and make a killer, great.
+1 My first 911 was a 1979 911 sc. My currant is a 2007 997. I love the evolution of the 911. Rear engine and flat 6 for ever. can't wait to get a 2011 991 turbo. I don't care about the GT-R or R8

Old 05-11-2008, 08:05 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by lardog
+1 My first 911 was a 1979 911 sc. My currant is a 2007 997. I love the evolution of the 911. Rear engine and flat 6 for ever. can't wait to get a 2011 991 turbo. I don't care about the GT-R or R8

If I had enough garage space, I would own a 911 from every design change including the 912. It isn't always about speed. Besides how many supercars do we all know of that can go 200k miles plus. I had a friend who originally purchased a 930 in 1978 and kept it for just over 20 years, sold it with 211k mileso on it and it still ran great. No changes to the engine. He did replace clutches and did a valve job at 190k. What a car.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:27 AM
Zeus has a spectacular aura aboutZeus has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Le Chef
You have absolutely zero understanding of the 911 and why it is an icon. I suggest you stump up some of your hard earned paper delivery pocket money and buy "Excellence was Expected". When you've read it come back and tell us why you still believe that what you propose would be a 911.

What you propose might make sense for ANOTHER model in the Porsche range, but let's face it, why would VAG need another mid-engined sports car in a market that is declining rapidly? You might as well propose that Porsche make an even bigger SUV with a V12 engine...
Wow. Now that is an engaging response. One that I cannot support. Maybe some of us believe so much in this icon, and respect so much of what it stands for, that we want it to evolve into an even better car. I don’t understand why that could be such a bad thing.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:47 AM
Originally Posted by Zeus
Wow. Now that is an engaging response. One that I cannot support. Maybe some of us believe so much in this icon, and respect so much of what it stands for, that we want it to evolve into an even better car. I don’t understand why that could be such a bad thing.
It is an icon and times do change. Performance improves in vehicles and so on. No one here is saying that there shouldn't be a new performance monster from Porsche, they are just saying that the 911 shouldn't be the platform. The changes being proposed are so drastic, that you could not call it a 911 anyway, so why not let it die or remain the icon that it is, and have a new performance icon. Maybe make a new 928. The 928 was the performance car that should have been the next world beater. It had the right recipe, but wrong timing. Today a front engined large powerhouse engine car would work well against the top supercars out there.

I am totally against a drastic change in the 911. If you do that make it a 928-V10 carrera engine.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:22 AM
Le Chef is infamous around these parts
Why zig when you can zag?

Originally Posted by Zeus
The point about the 911 is that it is different (unique) in the world of sports cars. What people here are proposing is to turn the 911 into the identikit mid-engined sports car of which there are already a few good ones...Why bother copying what others are doing? Seems to run counter to Porsche's philosophy.

The challenge is to go on improving/evolving the 911 without losing it's unique identity. Namely a flat-6 engine slung out behind the rear axle line. There are a million and one different ways Porsche can do this without losing the uniqueness of the configuration. Make it lighter - strip out the decaf latte cupholders, and air-conditioned iPod holders, and electric seats. Use a smaller capacity engine with low pressure turbo's. Fit ceramic brakes as standard. Anything that helps get the car lose 200kg's would be a great move.

But in the final analysis if you want the 911 to be a mid-engined sports car then walk away and buy an R8 or 430 or Cayman - because you've obviously missed the point of the 911 completely and you will never be happy owning one.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 998 - Flat 8 Or Not To Flat 8