997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

998 - Flat 8 Or Not To Flat 8

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 09:51 AM
LilSilverBullet is infamous around these parts
It will be called Nein-Nein-Nein.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:54 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
How about we just let Porsche make the decisions about what they will sell and what they wont. They've made the 911 work without tons of power for as long as it's been around, I think they'll do ok and make the best choice.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:10 AM
ZEMDOGG is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by heavychevy
How about we just let Porsche make the decisions about what they will sell and what they wont. They've made the 911 work without tons of power for as long as it's been around, I think they'll do ok and make the best choice.
Amen brother!

I hate these stupid "Porsche should do this" threads. So annoying.

I love the R8 sexy as **** but viva the 911. That little 6 has a looooong way to go. And come on people with the current gas crisis going on why would Porsche ever put a 8 in a 911!?!?!? Maybe one day but no time soon trust me.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:11 AM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Not to put fuel on the fire but...when I've got my r8, Ill gladly accept some competition from any 997 cS owner during track event...unless your Sir Keen or Tony K (ehem, due respect sirs)...I have a feeling I know the outcome.

Plus guys, who are we kidding, the r8 looks like a 200k car easy...and at 118, its a pretty phenomenal car! I love the 911 to death, but the R8 is such a great car, its hard to not at least appreciate what it brings to the table.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:18 PM
Le Chef is infamous around these parts
Not disagreeing

Originally Posted by sechsgang
Not to put fuel on the fire but...when I've got my r8, Ill gladly accept some competition from any 997 cS owner during track event...unless your Sir Keen or Tony K (ehem, due respect sirs)...I have a feeling I know the outcome.

Plus guys, who are we kidding, the r8 looks like a 200k car easy...and at 118, its a pretty phenomenal car! I love the 911 to death, but the R8 is such a great car, its hard to not at least appreciate what it brings to the table.
In the past the 911 had tough competitors. Would you believe that on a performance basis the original 240Z ran with the early 911? I'm sure if the net had existed people would have wanted to turn the 911 into a front engined sports car. Smartly Porsche made the 924/944/968 rather than do that...

The issue is not turning the 911 into Porsche's version of the R8 - that would be stupid. PAG/VAG have already agreed on a pricing structure that will keep these two models mostly apart so why even suggest making the 911 like the R8 is beyond me - a lack of imagination perhaps?

Old 05-12-2008, 03:29 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Le Chef
In the past the 911 had tough competitors. Would you believe that on a performance basis the original 240Z ran with the early 911? I'm sure if the net had existed people would have wanted to turn the 911 into a front engined sports car. Smartly Porsche made the 924/944/968 rather than do that...

The issue is not turning the 911 into Porsche's version of the R8 - that would be stupid. PAG/VAG have already agreed on a pricing structure that will keep these two models mostly apart so why even suggest making the 911 like the R8 is beyond me - a lack of imagination perhaps?
oh, I have no question about that, I should have quoted the person I was responding to. I like the 911 as is. Porsche has spent so many years perfecting a horrendous layout that the side effects of the re/rwd car are actually advantageous. I was just commenting on someone who said the r8 was pretty much worthless and not nearly as much of a car to drive as a carrera S...sorry.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:05 PM
RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !RFFG Is a GOD !
I thought they were going back to the flat 4 and bigger turbos

Old 05-12-2008, 11:28 PM
Gary in BR is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by USCCayman
...I suspect that Porsche has been working on a few surprises for us. For example, there was the report not too long ago of several Cayenne mules, with all but the driver and front passenger windows blacked out, circulating the 'ring at ferocious speeds. What was unusual about the car had to do with two characteristics. First, the back wheels were wider than the front (suggesting that there really wasn't an SUV underneath the SUV body, and second, the car was becoming airborne in spots were all other cars just did not have the power to do so. Then there was that recent picture of what looked like some sort of front engined GT under a car cover in a factory courtyard. These are exciting times at Porsche. I can't wait!

Does anyone know where the pictures of the airborne car and the undercover car may be found at?

Are there any confirmed rumors/facts about the 998?

Old 05-12-2008, 11:43 PM
turtle n hare is just really niceturtle n hare is just really niceturtle n hare is just really niceturtle n hare is just really nice
Originally Posted by gmoney
One things for sure, its getting harder to justify the price of admission when lesser cars are nipping at your performance heels some for pennies on the dollar.

R8 v10, Dino (if it materializes), v8 M3's, C63's, 500hp Mustangs - tough crowds are forming.
Agreed. It is getting harder to figure out which way to go.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:41 AM
plantagenet is infamous around these parts
Just for those crticising the guy and his synopsis that the 997s is faster than the R8.

In nearly every test done in Europe including for example the one on Top Gear the 911 was fitted with the powerpack so it produced 380 bhp not the standard 355. Which is the same figure that has been quoted for the revised 911 we are seeing at the end of this year.

The test where Stig was racing the r8 was a GT3 not a 997S.

For me the points I would concentrate on though is that the 911 offers nearly 95% if not slightly more of the performance of an R8 but in 997S form it is 30% less and for those with a couple of young kids due to the two seats in the back probbably a 100% eaiser to justify. Also a 997S is relatively green in terms of fuel efficiency when compared to an R8.

As to the future; then reducing weight and increasing engine efficiency has to be the way to go. I was reading in EVO that a company has some valve timing technology that is boosting fuel efficiency in engines by up to 40% and this is the type of technology Porsche need to make sure they are the first to implement.

Last edited by plantagenet; 05-13-2008 at 06:03 AM.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:44 AM
lardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to alllardog is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Gary in BR
Does anyone know where the pictures of the airborne car and the undercover car may be found at?

There is NO 998!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
991 991 991 991 hilar ious

Old 05-13-2008, 10:12 AM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Gary in BR

I will find those pictures for you and post ASAP.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:27 AM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
Gary in BR,
This should take you to the pictures of the flying Cayenne brothers:

WWW.worldcarfans.com/6070531.002/spy-photos-porsche

Old 05-13-2008, 11:04 AM
cdaniels is infamous around these parts
Now I like the look and potential of that Porsche GT Coupe....forget the 3.4 V8....how about the Porsche 10 cylinder with 600 plus HP....

Gary in BR,

Old 05-13-2008, 11:25 AM
Gary in BR,

umm...wow...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 998 - Flat 8 Or Not To Flat 8