997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

998 - Flat 8 Or Not To Flat 8

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 11:51 AM
ZEMDOGG is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by USCCayman
Gary in BR,
This should take you to the pictures of the flying Cayenne brothers:

WWW.worldcarfans.com/6070531.002/spy-photos-porsche

OMG its the new Porsche Cayman Panoz coupster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not a real photo not really exciting : )

Old 05-13-2008, 12:25 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
Real as a heart attack.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:43 PM
Gary in BR is infamous around these parts
Real as a heart attack.
Thanks for finding the pictures.

In this thread we have talked about CAFE standards. I remember reading somewhere that the new law may exempt cars like Porsche.

All day Google and I have been looking for the article.

Here it is:
http://www.leftlanenews.com/new-cafe...t-porsche.html

What do you guys think?

Old 05-13-2008, 05:17 PM
Tuskir has a spectacular aura aboutTuskir has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Prche951
Actually, a few things that you left out of these comparisons. Car and Driver compared a 90k porsche to a 130k Audi. Shouldn't the comparison have been to the 997TT instead. But I do have that magazine by the way and I have had C&D for going on 20 years. C&D is a very partisan type magazine. They have their favorites and they have their dislikes. Just like a Corvette can never loose a comparison on CD, a porsche cannot win one. Plain and simple fact.

In any case, I think you will find that if you compare flagship to flagship (R8 to 997TT) we all know who's bottom will get handily spanked.

Here is another thing. The 911 is a tradition, like it or not. There wil be faster cars made, I am sure and there are now. It is still one of the top machines in the world and it retains a tradition. To change it's layout would be to loose it all. I can see porsche coming out with another butt kicker to go against the big boys, maybe a front engined a-la 928 with a huge V-8, 10 or 12. Then that could be the new azz kicker, while the 911 will remain the tradition it has become. I have no problem with porsche making another supercar that will smash the 911, heck they did it with the carrera GT at a hefty price. If they can keep the price down to the low 100's and make a killer, great.
What article were you reading? C&D compared the $123,000 911 Turbo to a $109,000 Audi R8 and the R8 still won. Also, don't forget that Audi is coming out with a 550hp V10 version of the R8 pretty soon and possible a lightweight RWD version

This is a R8 vs 911 Turbo track times. As you can see, big difference:
http://www.caranddriver.com/content/...dscars_tra.pdf

All I'm saying is that every single comparison preferred the mid-engined platform of R8 to a rear-engined platform of a 911, which says quite a lot. You have much better balance when the engine is in the middle of the car. If rear-engine layout is so good, then how come every race car, including Porsche's flagship CGT uses a mod-engined layout? It is simply better. And let's be realistic, nobody really uses the pathetic rear seats of a 911 anyway. You have to be an anorexic masochist to fit there

Old 05-13-2008, 05:27 PM
Real as a heart attack.

Now were getting off topic here but dude come on..... Is this the first time youve seen a computer generated image. No disrespect but give me one example where Porsche has released an actual phto to the press before we have seen spy shots. You mean to tell me that they skipped the new 997, Panamera, small new Cayenne thingy and went straight to production with this. Um no sorry. Never happened before not happening now. Also look at it more clearly 987 lights!!!!!! There changing those up soon they wont reuse them. Come on now....

Old 05-13-2008, 05:31 PM
Photo 3 is an artist impression of how an upcoming Porsche GT Coupe could look like.

^^^ Just to make myself clear this was my gripe. Not sure if were all talking about the same thing. They'll probably do the GT coupe thing but that is not an official pic or an officialy released car.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:10 PM
Le Chef is infamous around these parts
If you don't like the 911...

Originally Posted by Tuskir
What article were you reading? C&D compared the $123,000 911 Turbo to a $109,000 Audi R8 and the R8 still won. Also, don't forget that Audi is coming out with a 550hp V10 version of the R8 pretty soon and possible a lightweight RWD version

ll I'm saying is that every single comparison preferred the mid-engined platform of R8 to a rear-engined platform of a 911, which says quite a lot. You have much better balance when the engine is in the middle of the car. If rear-engine layout is so good, then how come every race car, including Porsche's flagship CGT uses a mod-engined layout? It is simply better. And let's be realistic, nobody really uses the pathetic rear seats of a 911 anyway. You have to be an anorexic masochist to fit there
Why bother hanging out here? This forum is for people who like the 911, own 911's, want to own a 911, want to learn more about the 911.

If all you want to do is whine about how much better the R8 is than the 911 then you're in the wrong place.

I suggest you might feel more at home here: [media]http://forums.audiworld.com/r8/[/media]

Goodbye

Old 05-13-2008, 11:09 PM
USCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to beholdUSCCayman is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ZEMDOGG
Now were getting off topic here but dude come on..... Is this the first time youve seen a computer generated image. No disrespect but give me one example where Porsche has released an actual phto to the press before we have seen spy shots. You mean to tell me that they skipped the new 997, Panamera, small new Cayenne thingy and went straight to production with this. Um no sorry. Never happened before not happening now. Also look at it more clearly 987 lights!!!!!! There changing those up soon they wont reuse them. Come on now....

I'm not sure what you are talking about. I'm refering to the picture of the airborne "Cayenne" (and the other picture of same mule from behind laying down some serious tire smoke) and the speculation as to what it could be, which could be anything, even the new 998 underneath. I wasn't implyng that it was any particular model, only that it is an indication that Porsche is up to some interesting things here lately.

Last edited by USCCayman; 05-13-2008 at 11:11 PM.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:58 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !

All I'm saying is that every single comparison preferred the mid-engined platform of R8 to a rear-engined platform of a 911, which says quite a lot. You have much better balance when the engine is in the middle of the car. If rear-engine layout is so good, then how come every race car, including Porsche's flagship CGT uses a mod-engined layout? It is simply better. And let's be realistic, nobody really uses the pathetic rear seats of a 911 anyway. You have to be an anorexic masochist to fit there

what is REALLY FUNNY is that in that test the 911 beat the audi in TOP SPEED, BRAKING, ROAD HOLDING and ACCELERATION. It only lost in the area where driver skill is most important and where the maroons and CD who never give porsche any credit, can do whatever they want. So out of all the events the Audi wins one and so it wins, LOL. Give me a break.

Look at the crappy 1/4 mile time for the audi here below. It got spanked by the 911 turbo, the vette and the viper just like in the CD article. And since it probably is a very neutral car it is the easiest to handle for novices like these guys and CD so it wins. But in the hands of people who know what they are doing, different story.

[media]http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/new_cars/4217681.html[/media]

here is another one and the porsche is a tiptronic
[media]http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Comparos/articleId=119925[/media]

in every comparison on the net, edmunds etc. The porsche wins everything but everyone likes the audi. It has looks and that wins people over like a blond bombshell.

But here is the real kicker, for a very small aftermarket cost, the 911 can devastate nearly everything that moves on a road. Eeking out power from it is easy, the R8 is pretty much maxed and aftermarket tuning won't give you much compared to the turbo motor.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:06 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
oh and go find an R8 for 109k. Not possible. I have seen them as high as 150k with dealer mark up, 120-140 is typical. That is real life.

Where it counts the R8 will get spanked by the 911turbo and the ZO6, like it or not. And with drivers that like their respective steeds, the audi will not win. knowing how to control the weight transfer on a 911 turbo will net better times than what the bozos you quoted gave.

put an extra 10-20k into a 911 turbo and you get a car that can compete with the carrera gt, and other half million dollar supercars, and it has an engine design that has proven itself time and time again by winning more races than the R8 engine could dream of. No comparison here, move along

Old 05-14-2008, 07:05 AM
I'm not sure what you are talking about. I'm refering to the picture of the airborne "Cayenne" (and the other picture of same mule from behind laying down some serious tire smoke) and the speculation as to what it could be, which could be anything, even the new 998 underneath. I wasn't implyng that it was any particular model, only that it is an indication that Porsche is up to some interesting things here lately.

Sorry about that my fault

I dont know how they would test a 911 platform on a Cayenne though. Kinda weird.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:38 AM
Originally Posted by ZEMDOGG
Sorry about that my fault

I dont know how they would test a 911 platform on a Cayenne though. Kinda weird.

Probably not a 911, but who knows. What ever it is, it is fast! Perhaps we will find out soon what it is/or was. One thing I do know is that Porsche doesn't sit still. As has always been the case, while fans of other makes are proclaiming their favorite car is the new "King of the Hill", Porsche already has their new "uber" car ready to spring on us. They just don't rush things, and wait until they have it just right before presenting it to us.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:38 PM
P.S. ZEMDOGG, Is that a picture of you in your avatar?!

Old 05-14-2008, 02:57 PM
P.S. ZEMDOGG, Is that a picture of you in your avatar?!

Lol no. Porsche saleman usually dont look that good! hahaha

Thats my fiance. I have a black turbo cab available right now you buy that I'll throw her in

Old 05-14-2008, 03:31 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !

B.S. , the 911 platform is great for lap times, the CGT is mid engine because there isnt a V10 you could fit in the back of a 911, and it was meant for Lemans racing in LMGT1. The 911 has it's limits in NA power and size of motor you can put in the back, the mid engine platform doesnt have such a limit. On top of that the CGT is more scary to drive than any of the recent 911's, unpredictable and dangerous. If you dont know what you're doing, it WILL get you. I beleive there is a better balance available from Mid engine, and most of the better handling ones go for a more rear biased balance because it's more predictable and easier to drive.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 998 - Flat 8 Or Not To Flat 8